Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Final test before tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Final test before tune

I need to get some recommendations from what you guys think. I want to drive the car 40 miles round trip. Do you think that it would be alright to do with out getting into boost at all? I'm trying to get exhaust on my car and someone is borrowing my tailor for a while. It would be all highway driving.

I had to lower fuel pressure to about 30psi to get the car to run alright. This is probably my biggest worry. What do you guys think.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm...

car disaster while driving == $$$$$$$$$

flat bed tow truck = $$

if something were to happen..do u have the funds to cover it?
if it is drastic..you will have to call a tow truck anyways.

its just a matter of your comfort level and luck

if it was me...i would have it flat bed to the shop.

30psi...scary
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How are your plugs looking now... Your last thread they were pig rich. I vote take it to the shop and have it tuned. I told you how rich mine was running... Just having the tuner listen to me back the car off the trailor he made adjustment before he even made a pull on the dyno.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

plugs are much much better. The car runs totally different now. I may just wait and tailor it up there like you guys say...
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size injectors? Do you have a boost referenced regulator?
You have a a/f gauge, keep an eye on it and make it a nice easy cruise. A 50 mile tow truck bill would be pretty pricey.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
plugs are much much better. The car runs totally different now. I may just wait and tailor it up there like you guys say...
I know how you feel when I had the blower all done I couldn't beleive how shitty the car ran. I was thinking... there's no way I can take it to the tuner like this. After 3 pulls and a plug swap every pull they made after the plugs just sounded better and better and better. I would have lost to bone stock z28 before the tuning. Its all about the tune. You can build the most bad *** setup in the world and it wont work worth a **** with out tune.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd wait to be on the safe side. I had a fuel pressure issue with my car recently, and it actually ran ok with the pressure as low as about 18psi (ECU thought it was supposed to see 43psi), below that it started to sputter alot like it does right before you actually run out of gas. I'm sure the injectors were working extra hard - the computer will push them to deliver adequate flow til they just cant keep up (my main line from the T fitting in the tank had a tear in it and I had to get home from work late in the evening - 10 mile drive).

I wouldnt jeopardize anything if you can avoid it. If your ECU hasn't been changed at all, its still thinking its going to receive around 58psi of fuel and I'm sure over time that can't be good on anything.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rent a uhaul trailer if you have to get it done. I rented one for a week and it was 96 dollars. Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

uhaul trailer around me is 70 bucks for a day. When i built my turbo kit in the garage i had talked to texas spd. I had them do a mail order for the injectors, and something super rich. I put a 2.7 psi spring in the gate so that was max boost.

I took the car on a couple short trips around the neighborhood, took care of all the issues before the 60 mile trip to the tuner. It all worked out well, but i stayed out of boost.

Good luck, Chris
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, we found out that the problem is that it was tuned as 3 bar but I have a 2 bar sensor. So hopefully when I change this out the car will run like it is supposed to.... Speed inc does know what they are doing so I am not worried!