LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

alternator question

Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator question

Hey guys i think my alternator is goin out right now on my 94 z28. When i start the car i have this whining type sound coming from the engin bay and when i put my ear to the alternator it sounds like its coming from there and its fairly loud. My car is stock so i can hear this over everything else. Also at WOT it whines like i have a supercharger lol. Do you guys think this is just my alternator on its way out??? My volt gauge also goes below half way when the car gets hot and the second fan turns on at the stock fan setting.

My other question is this a good alternator to buy?
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...ype=11&PTSet=A

thanks everyone
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tested your running voltage. Alternators dont go bad They just Fail, Though you may have a bearing in it on the way out so its electrically good mechanically going bad
Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

yeah thats true, i had it tested about a yr ago and it was doing 14 amps but that was after it was cold and not warmed up i see the volt gauge lower when the car is really hot and the second fan is coming on to lower the temp. Im kinda thinkin its a bearing as well so im gonna take it to a guy i know this weekend and have him give it a listen and see what he says. If its the alternator then ill probably buy that one i posted the link for and throw that bitch in with a new belt also.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you have someone who knows how to work on them they are very cheap to rebuild

Good luck to ya
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm i dunno i dont think i know anyone that knows how to rebuild them so ill probably be stuck buying a new one. thanks for ur help though.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are u sure it's the alternator as they typically don't start whining as this is usually associated with the P/S Pump or the clutch on the A/C comp going causing the belt to drag. Everything is in that area so it's hard to tell. If you take your alternator off they can test it at any autoparts store and on the test bench you should be able to tell if it's the bearing in the alternator or not.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

well will the ac one whine if its not in use? also i didnt think about the power steering. Ill have to have it checked out.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
well will the ac one whine if its not in use? also i didnt think about the power steering. Ill have to have it checked out.
Yes, as the clutch engages the compressor when you turn on the A/C and if this clutch is going or frozen it will drag on the pulley and put drag on the belt. As to the PS pump, it will typically make more noise as you turn the wheel from side to side, but not always. Check your PS fluid and have someone check your alternator (stated above) as that can eliminate one thing real quick.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

alright cool man, i got a buddy that has his own shop so ill have him look at it this saturday. Hopefully its cheap whatever it is lol.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God damn, had a long post typed out and my browser decided not to backspace my text but the web page (shortcut for "back").

So the short: PS pump is RIGHT under the alternator, so it's most likely that (the PS) that is whining. Dying alternators generally make a LOVELY screeching-squeal noise that is almost like fingers on a chalk board

To point out something on an earlier post, was that 14 AMPS or did you mean 14 VOLTS? Big difference And alternators don't just 'fail', they can go bad. An alternator putting out 12volts hasn't failed, as it's still doing it's job, just not doing it all that right anymore Brushes can go as well and cause power issues, but yours is too new for that to happen.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

ok well i just took my lunch break at work and i checked my oil and power steering and they are full. I actually do have this weird screeching sound every now and then and the car shakes thats why i thought it was the alternator. As for the power steering when i turn left and right the sound doesnt change it just continually whines. But it does sound like when your out of ps fluid and you turn the wheel and it makes that whine sound. So is the power steering hard to change out.

Also formula i did mean 14 volts lol sorry i always mix those up. But also that was when the car was just barely started and cold and i usually have the lower volts when it gets hotter and my fans are running. Also when i have my radio turned up fairly loud my volt gauge bounces with the bass in the music sometimes well below the center line on the gauge. So who knows i might need a new alternator and ps pump. Damn these maintenance items lol.

Also can anyone tell me if im ok getting the 140 amp alternator or is that to much for my stock car? should i get something like the 124 instead? i was told that if the wires cant handle the amprage then it could burn up the wires.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else??? hopin to get this taken care of this weekend so anyones input will be appreciated
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

take the old one out and have it tested, that'll be your best bet. 140 is fine, its not going to hurt anything. Its better if you have a system in the car.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought the 94+ had 140A factory and 93s had 120A, which we could then upgrade to the 94+ 140A... Just what I've read though, doesn't mean it's true.

Also I forgot to re-add to my post that Alternators DO go bad, and not always just flat out fail. If you've ever seen an alternator putting out 10volts, that sure as hell looks like it's working to me. Working correctly? No, but it's working, doing it's roll of putting out voltage. Fail, to me at least, means it's doing nothing, or has failed catastrophically and seized/exploded. (Mind you exploded doesn't mean kaboom, just **** inside broke apart)
Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
I thought the 94+ had 140A factory and 93s had 120A, which we could then upgrade to the 94+ 140A... Just what I've read though, doesn't mean it's true.

Also I forgot to re-add to my post that Alternators DO go bad, and not always just flat out fail. If you've ever seen an alternator putting out 10volts, that sure as hell looks like it's working to me. Working correctly? No, but it's working, doing it's roll of putting out voltage. Fail, to me at least, means it's doing nothing, or has failed catastrophically and seized/exploded. (Mind you exploded doesn't mean kaboom, just **** inside broke apart)
I wanna see an alternator explode, that would be kind cool
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
I wanna see an alternator explode, that would be kind cool
haha Just so long as it's not under one of our hoods! The shrapnel would be BAD BAD BAD!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
haha Just so long as it's not under one of our hoods! The shrapnel would be BAD BAD BAD!
a steel hood wouldn't be that bad, now a fiberglass hood on the other hand would cause some pain, along with a permanant itch

Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

alright guys im gonna switch out the alternator and belts this weekend and hopefully that fixes the problem. I was getting that weird meta to metal sound this morning on my way to work that sounds like nails on the chalkboard like formula had said. Hopefully it fixes the problem
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else have any input on this or am i pretty safe to say my problem is the alternator???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alternator question