Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couple of SFC and Suspension QUestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of SFC and Suspension QUestions

Hey guys,
I have decided to start modding my car and the first thing that I want to put on it are SFC. I have searched around here and noticed a couple of people talking about the Wolfe's through the floor SFC, my questions are 1) does anyone have any install pics? 2) on a street driven car that will see little drag strip time, but a lot of "hard" street driving are there any benefits to these verses a set of weld on boxed SFC? Also when I was looking around at LCA and panhard bars what are the pros and cons between heim joints and rubber bushings? And what about the ones that are a "hybrid" with a heim at one end and rubber at the other?
Sorry for all the beginner questions
Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

On the SFC's the Wolfes through the floor will require cutting on the floor of the vehicle, the SFC's then run into the passenger compartment of the vehicle. We offer a large selection of SFC's that do not require this type of modifications the vehicle, actually our SFC's require NO modifications to your vehicle in anyway. We also offer 100% bolt in set-ups if you desire. Below is a link to our SFC selection-

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=129

Rod ends (heim joints) allow the suspension to articulate correctly since they offer spherical bearings which do not restrict movement. Rubber bushings are good but do deflect under load and will not work well under drag racing conditions. The heim ends allow the correct suspension movement and work excellent for drag racing... however on the street they may some additional road noise... if you go with inexpensive rod ends they can lead to unbearable road noise. Below is a link to the control arms and panhard bars we offer, please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=124
http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=119

Please let me know of any questions. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SanitysBane
Hey guys,
I have decided to start modding my car and the first thing that I want to put on it are SFC. I have searched around here and noticed a couple of people talking about the Wolfe's through the floor SFC, my questions are 1) does anyone have any install pics? 2) on a street driven car that will see little drag strip time, but a lot of "hard" street driving are there any benefits to these verses a set of weld on boxed SFC? Also when I was looking around at LCA and panhard bars what are the pros and cons between heim joints and rubber bushings? And what about the ones that are a "hybrid" with a heim at one end and rubber at the other?
Sorry for all the beginner questions

Through the floor SFC's are just that and require cutting the floorpan to install them. Considering I don't even run SFC's on my car (which is driven quite hard and on really sticky tires). A normal set of SFC's will be just fine and much easier to install.

As for the LCA's, I prefer what you refer to as hybrids, though I sell all types. I like these as they don't bind the axle in roll like all poly bushed arms, and they are more street friendly (quieter) than all rod-ended parts.

The PHB doesn't have bind issues like the LCA's, so you can run whatever you wish there, but rod-ends have less deflection than bushings, even if they are urethane and noise is much less a factor from the PHB than from the LCA's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, just to give you another option, we also make frame connectors for your car. Ours are the weld in only available in tubular or boxed design. The tubular version is made from 1 5/8" .120 wall dom steel and are designed to tuck up next to the pinch weld of the rocker panel. The boxed version is constructed from 2" x 2" .120 dom steel. The boxed version is a stronger unit that ties into the lower control arm bucket and add thje extra strength to that area. The boxed version tucks up against the floor pan of the car and sticks down past the pinch weld about 1/4". All mounting plates are either 3/16" or 1/4" laser cut steel plate. If you have any questions we are in the office till 6pm est. mon-fri.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot for the replies. I was under the illusion that SFC made a huge difference in how the car handles. So what in y'alls opinion is the best "bang for the buck" when it comes to making the car handle better?

Also another question that comes to mind is what is the expected life expectancy from a heim?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The main thing that SFC's did for me was ruin my car's good ride. I put them on because of wrinkles I developed in my quarter panels from launching. They seem to have helped with that.

If you don't go to the track much, I wouldn't bother with them. The best handling mod you can do is install a good set of shocks.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

^wow

do they lessen rattles, though? Ever since I got full exhaust my back hatch rattles like crazy.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 AM
Launching!

I the wolfe sfc, but I new from the begining that my car would have a 10 pt cage at some point & I have noticed that because my cage is welded into my sfcs and my friends aren't, my car seems to be much stiffer, he has also noticed. If you don't plan on going that far, I don't see any other reason for doing them
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to order a PHB today. What is the best one to get to do it on car with the least amount of hassle (noise, etc... like it is there but don't hear it and it isn't a pain)?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I want to order a PHB today. What is the best one to get to do it on car with the least amount of hassle (noise, etc... like it is there but don't hear it and it isn't a pain)?
Well we have just the item for you... this panhard bar is on-car adjustable and features grease-able Energy Suspension bushings on both ends which prevents noise. This item is easily adjusted by loosing two jam nuts and turning the adjuster, it is hassle free and does not require removal.

We have both red and black in stock and it is priced at $124.99. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you! Ryan

www.umiperformance.com/2029

Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The main thing that SFC's did for me was ruin my car's good ride. I put them on because of wrinkles I developed in my quarter panels from launching. They seem to have helped with that.

If you don't go to the track much, I wouldn't bother with them. The best handling mod you can do is install a good set of shocks.

Care to explain?

Also how bad is the noise with heim joints and how long do they last?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

After installing SFC's, hard impacts tend to be transmitted to the unibody much more than before. Impact harshness was greatly increased.

Like I said, I installed them because of creases I developed in my quarter panels from launching at the track. I had them PDR'd out and they haven't returned, so they may have helped with the body twisting at launch.

If you're not going to be launching from a dead hook, I won't bother with them. That is, if you like your car to ride nicely. My M6 car will never see them.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Launching!

my handling didn't change @ all, the wolfe sfc were my very first mod, I have an m6

Quick Reply: Couple of SFC and Suspension QUestions