Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Stage Progressive, using a single nozzle

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual Stage Progressive, using a single nozzle

It may sound wierd but this is the idea I'm currently installing on my Vette. I drag race and do Top Speed/Standing Mile events. I need to spray in fifth. So I thought why not use a FJO Mini-progressive to control a single nozzle Dynotune kit, which I already had. I'll have a fairly agressive ramp for 1st through 4th and then for fifth use a curve that only alows for a desired 55-60% control up to 5000rpms of the 150hp shot. Anyone ever done anything like this?

If I could get the wiring schematic to load it would be easier to understand. Basically using a dual security, diode and relay contact to prevent both stages from controlling the fuel/nitrous solenoid relay at once

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 10-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

With the FJO it is easy to use dual ramps.....you will wire the solid red to secondary switch. From there it is just a matter of programming the stages to activate/deactivate according to the inputs you are sending the FJO

This diagram allows you to switch between ramps by the toggle switch attached to the solid red.

You will want to call Dynotune and verify the solenoids will handle extended pulse times and activation times.

Last edited by Ray@Nitrous Outlet; 10-23-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Mine uses a relay to make sure both outputs are unable to fire the solenoids. But pretty much just like what you posted

Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

The FJO has an internal provision to select which of the inputs activate the system.

Fire the first stage normally then have the first stage turn off with input 2 and the second stage turn on with input 2

You don't want to use the solenoid outputs coming off the FJO as relays don't like to be pulsed.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
It may sound wierd but this is the idea I'm currently installing on my Vette. I drag race and do Top Speed/Standing Mile events. I need to spray in fifth. So I thought why not use a FJO Mini-progressive to control a single nozzle Dynotune kit, which I already had. I'll have a fairly agressive ramp for 1st through 4th and then for fifth use a curve that only alows for a desired 55-60% control up to 5000rpms of the 150hp shot. Anyone ever done anything like this?

If I could get the wiring schematic to load it would be easier to understand. Basically using a dual security, diode and relay contact to prevent both stages from controlling the fuel/nitrous solenoid relay at once
Joey, how long are you usually in 5th pulsing?

Nick
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Joey, how long are you usually in 5th pulsing?

Nick
Second stage is activated by a microswitch mounted on the 6spd shifter, at the fifth gear position. The second stage activation disables the fisrt stage, in the FJO software and by a hard wired relay contact. Then with a ramp starting at 3k rpms then coming to 55% by 3800 rpms and ending at 5k rpms with a ramp of 60-65%. More as a control not to apply the full shot.

Ray, there won't be a relay controlling the solenoids directly. Just a relay contact for the second stage as a verification that the first stage is deactivated. I'm a controls electrician, so I tend to be over safe in my wiring.

Seem logical to you guys? As I think it should work fine.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Second stage is activated by a microswitch mounted on the 6spd shifter, at the fifth gear position.

Ray, there won't be a relay controlling the solenoids directly. Just a relay contact for the second stage as a verification that the first stage is deactivated. I'm a controls electrician, so I tend to be over safe in my wiring.

Seem logical to you guys? As I think it should work fine.
The electronics side of should be fine. I would just verify the solenoids can handle the extended pulse time. I prefer not to pulse the solenoids for more than short periods at a time. Progressives are designed to control traction not horsepower. This can cause erratic air/fuel ratios and accellerated wear on the solenoids if they were not designed for use with progressives.

Last edited by Ray@Nitrous Outlet; 10-23-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
The electronics side of should be fine. I would just verify the solenoids can handle the extended pulse time. I prefer not to pulse the solenoids for more than short periods at a time. Progressives are designed to control traction not horsepower. This can cause erratic air/fuel ratios and accellerated wear on the solenoids if they were not designed for use with progressives.
Damn Ray, what are you sitting over my shoulder! lol that's where I was trying to go with my other post.

Nick
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

great minds just think alike