Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

controlling the fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default controlling the fog lights

Hey I did a search and came up with about 12pages and I read them all but did not find what I was looking for. I'm wanting to be able to turn my fog lights on when I want to. I don't want to run the low/high beams at the same time or the high beams with the fog lights. Just want to be able to use the factory switch to turn them on when the head lights are off.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Thats how it should be when you click it once over(98+) but seeing you have a camaro it may be dfferent so I should just slowly shutup
Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a schematic for 02 Camaro:
Attached Thumbnails controlling the fog lights-774239.gif  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joshp14
Heres a schematic for 02 Camaro:
Thank you, thats what I needed.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Method 2) Take your left side vent out. Take the two screws holding your light switch out.
Find the orange/redish wire going to G, cut the wire about 2 inchs from switch. In case you would like to put it back.
Got another question, if I cut the orange/redish wire would I still have amber runinng lights? Also if I cut the orange/redish wire and put a toggle switch would it work like normal when the switch is flipped one way and the other way I would have to turn the lights on myself and the fog lights?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ruquick02ls1
Got another question, if I cut the orange/redish wire would I still have amber runinng lights? Also if I cut the orange/redish wire and put a toggle switch would it work like normal when the switch is flipped one way and the other way I would have to turn the lights on myself and the fog lights?

Thanks
Those methods were posted as a method of disabling the daytime running lights but they actually disable the automatic headlights. Neither one has anything to do with your fog lights.

If you are trying to disable automatic headlights then shorting the sensor wires together is the only smart way to do it. That way you're not cutting or modifying any factory wiring, it's easily reversible, it has no other side effects, and it's the way that GM disabled automatic headlights on US-version Firebirds (so you know it's safe).
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Those methods were posted as a method of disabling the daytime running lights but they actually disable the automatic headlights. Neither one has anything to do with your fog lights.

If you are trying to disable automatic headlights then shorting the sensor wires together is the only smart way to do it. That way you're not cutting or modifying any factory wiring, it's easily reversible, it has no other side effects, and it's the way that GM disabled automatic headlights on US-version Firebirds (so you know it's safe).
So how exactly would you undo this so a firebird could use automatic lights?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
So how exactly would you undo this so a firebird could use automatic lights?
I did this on my own car a couple of years ago and then took it back out because I found it annoying to have the headlights pop up and close when going under overpasses, drive thru tellers, etc.

You can get the sensor from the dealer for around $20. The mounting socket for it is already in the dash panel. You have to extend the wires from the DRL module up to the sensor in the dash panel but other than that it's pretty much plug-and-play. As soon as you have the new sensor connected the automatic headlights will work...well...automatically.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh cool. Thanks for letting me know!