Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam only tune issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam only tune issues

this morning i went on a cruise with some buddies, after a few miles my car would spit and sputter while cruising in 5th gear. downshifted to 4th to raise the rpms to around 3k, it quit and began to run good again. after a mile or two of that it began to do it again. so id get in it, sometimes even dropping a gear/punching it and it would quit then once it got back to cruising rpms 2.8k or so it started again. i basically dealt with it for the rest of the morning. once i left to go home it got real bad. even when i would get in it hard it would spit and sputter real bad. almost barely running. but theres no knocking or banging coming from the engine bay. the exhaust note changed quite a bit which makes me believe that its running rich. the exhaust note went from crisp and clean to almost muffled and quiet. all the plug wires are hooked up and it has brand new plugs that are two weeks old. the car has never done this or even ran bad for that matter. does it sound like a fuel issue or somethin else?

mods are:

232/234 on 112 lsa
QTP Lt
TDs dynomax bullets
slp intake
u/d pulley

any ideas guys?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

could it possibly be a fuel pump or fuel filter?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Any logs? I'm running a wideband in my new setup to keep an eye on my afr.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has it been tuned since the cam was installed?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

It could be a heap of different things. Ensure your tune is spot on first then check the mechanical side of things, start with leads,plugs, fuel filter, O2 sensors and cats as well. If its not ones of these then it could be a dodgy injector not flowing enough or the fuel pump not maintaining enough pressure.

JB

Nearly forgot check your pcv hoses and things to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak

Last edited by cosmo vyss; 10-25-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-25-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
Has it been tuned since the cam was installed?
yes, twice actually.....the first tune was spot on. i had not one issue for the 2 months that it was on the first post cam tune.

i recently swapped to LTs and now have QTPs with TDs. my tuner just tuned it on the dyno but did not street tune it.

Originally Posted by cosmo vyss
It could be a heap of different things. Ensure your tune is spot on first then check the mechanical side of things, start with leads,plugs, fuel filter, O2 sensors and cats as well. If its not ones of these then it could be a dodgy injector not flowing enough or the fuel pump not maintaining enough pressure.

JB

Nearly forgot check your pcv hoses and things to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak

the plugs are brand new, i think two weeks old. im not running cats and the 02 sensors are new but they could be the issue. i have never changed the fuel filter and ive owned it for 8 months. all hoses and lines are hooked up.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
i recently swapped to LTs and now have QTPs with TDs.

Exhaust leak? Is the system bolted? Flanged? U clamps? The slightest leak within 12" of your front O2 sensors is going to be real bad news.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
Exhaust leak? Is the system bolted? Flanged? U clamps? The slightest leak within 12" of your front O2 sensors is going to be real bad news.
possibly? from the headers back its welded, but it might be the headers so ill take a look at that tonight thanx
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

could it possibly be the fuel pump?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

If you don't find any air leaks, may need to take it back to the tuner. Could be some low RPM fueling and timing issues. Doesn't sound like a fuel pump/pressure issue since it clears at higher RPMs.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Launching!

unless it has to do with the weather change, its starting to get cold out here, its not going to be a tuning issue. it wouldnt work fine then all of a sudden act up. definately check the fuel filter. i have seen some pretty strange effects from a clogged up filter.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

I had that problem tuning a buddies car (cam only). I didn't know to raise the misfire
count cells in the tune. The car would run awesome for a little while, then go to crap.
Turns out, the car was going into open loop because of 'misfires'.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Launching!

yeah but everything was running fine for a while, then one day it just started acting up, right?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

There's a few things that could cause this, I would check these first.

02 Sensor, make sure they didn't start to touch the headers burnt through the wires. Same with the spark plug wires. Check for any missing conections, such as for the IAT, MAF. I've also seen fuel pumps start to go where they'd act like that as well. Only bad thing about that is that you need a Fuel Pressure guage to check for that while driving.

If you're concerned that it might be the tune, pull the plugs, and see if they're fouled out or missing any ground straps. That'd be the first indication that there's something wrong with the tune based on fuel and timing (can't really use those to check for the idle control settings).
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

correct, i have never had one problem out of the car. then out of the blue one day it slowly transitions into this

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
yeah but everything was running fine for a while, then one day it just started acting up, right?
im not so much concerned with the tune? the tuner really knows what he is doin, plus my car ran beautifully since day 1 after the cam

Originally Posted by Caspernicus
I had that problem tuning a buddies car (cam only). I didn't know to raise the misfire
count cells in the tune. The car would run awesome for a little while, then go to crap.
Turns out, the car was going into open loop because of 'misfires'.
the maf was dead since day 1 of owning the car, my tuner said he just tunes them out on all his cars and said that he did the same with my car and ive never had a problem.

ill have to double check the 02s and plugs.

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
There's a few things that could cause this, I would check these first.

02 Sensor, make sure they didn't start to touch the headers burnt through the wires. Same with the spark plug wires. Check for any missing conections, such as for the IAT, MAF. I've also seen fuel pumps start to go where they'd act like that as well. Only bad thing about that is that you need a Fuel Pressure guage to check for that while driving.

If you're concerned that it might be the tune, pull the plugs, and see if they're fouled out or missing any ground straps. That'd be the first indication that there's something wrong with the tune based on fuel and timing (can't really use those to check for the idle control settings).

THANX AGAIN GUYS