Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Later Factory Head Units for 2002

Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Later Factory Head Units for 2002

I like my 2002 Trans Am factory head unit, {no taste, tin ear, whatever! }

But I want to use my XM satellite radio with the system.

I tried an auxiliary converter for the 9-pin CD changer. The auxiliary input box lasted barely a year, it's out of warranty and now I have to replace it.
I'm not sure these GM-aux converters are worth a damn anyway.

Sure, I could buy a new car audio head unit.
But rather then spending all the time of making an aftermarket head unit fit, installing the PAC SWI-X, and dealing with the remote antenna -

Is there a later model GM factory unit that will plug-n-play with the 2002 fbody dash, Monsoon amp, steering wheel controls, etc. ??
Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, there is no GM 1.5 DIN 21-pin head unit that has XM built in.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

and the newer gm headunits arent plug and play because of the way they communicate with the bcm
Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, there is no GM 1.5 DIN 21-pin head unit that has XM built in.
A misunderstanding, I do not need XM Radio built in the system. I just need an AUX input on the front panel.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
and the newer gm headunits arent plug and play because of the way they communicate with the bcm
What is the bcm?
And there is was no GM head unit from 2002 to say, 2006 that fits, has an AUX input + a hookup for steering wheel controls?
In the entire GM lineup over 4 or 5 years???

What about the GTOs?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The 02 F-bodies were some of the last models that GM produced with a 1.5 DIN head unit. Almost all other GM models since around that time have had double DIN sized head units. The newer models also incorporate many more functions than just the stereo such as the audible chimes, OnStar, alarm systems, etc. They are dependant on class 2 serial data from the body control module (BCM) to function and are wired completely differently from our older setups.

So, no...there isn't a later model that has the functions you want that will fit or work in your car.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO look up the jason novak aux mod, you can add an aux to ur oem unit i do it all the time very easy

gm rolled in the newer style radios in alot of cars around 99 and 2000 but they finished off the Fbodys with the same radio they had in them as to not change things
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I tried an auxiliary converter for the 9-pin CD changer. The auxiliary input box lasted barely a year, it's out of warranty and now I have to replace it.
Which one? What happened? In my experience the problem was always the headunit "forgetting" and not that the aux adapter stopped working.

If you have the GM9-AUX...
With all power off...
* disconnect the radio from the car.
* Wait a few minutes. Reconnect the radio minus the AUX Adapter.
* Test to make sure it works.
* Turn it off.
* Reconnect the Aux Adapter.
* Turn the radio back on and test the AUX input.
* If it doesn't lock-on immediately, wait a minute or two.
* If the radio gives-up waiting and switches back to FM, try again.

That almost always fixed the issue for me. It happened to me a few times. Funny thing is that it kind of acted like an early warning for a failing battery. It only happened after the car sat overnight. The other "hint" at the battery being the problem was that one day after working on my car and having the parking lights on for a few minutes, the battery was too weak to start the car.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could always open the stock up and add an aux in to your casette player i know that works i dont know if a cd player would do a search
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
Which one? What happened? In my experience the problem was always the headunit "forgetting" and not that the aux adapter stopped working.
No, the aux adapter did not stop working, it has cut the left channel level by 50% and introducted squeal instead.

I can assure you that the head unit is fine. Diagnosis confirms the stereo, CD player, work 100%. I can take out the XM Tuner and cradle it in the home system, and the stereo channels are 100%.

It's the GM9-AUX - and they have a pitiful 90-day warranty to boot.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The 02 F-bodies were some of the last models that GM produced with a 1.5 DIN head unit. Almost all other GM models since around that time have had double DIN sized head units. The newer models also incorporate many more functions than just the stereo such as the audible chimes, OnStar, alarm systems, etc. They are dependant on class 2 serial data from the body control module (BCM) to function and are wired completely differently from our older setups.

So, no...there isn't a later model that has the functions you want that will fit or work in your car.
Thank you WhiteBird00 for the definitive answer, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear!

---------------------------------------------
I wanted a little better head unit than I have, so opening my 2002 HU up and sodiering onto connections is not the path I want to take.

So, despite my wishes, it's time for an aftermarket head unit.

There is one consolation though. I thought that to retain steering wheel controls I would have to use a kludgy infrared PAC SWI-X jack.

However, I just learned today that I can use the hard-wired PAC SWI-JACK for the factory steering wheel controls if I stick with Apine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos.

---------------------------------------------
So now it’s off to the stereo buying guides to find an Apine, Clarion, JVC, or Kenwood.
If anyone would like to PM me with a suggestion of a HU that will play nice with the rest of the Monsoon, that would be great too.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 10-27-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Composition errors
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
NI just learned today that I can use the hard-wired PAC SWI-JACK for the factory steering wheel controls if I stick with Apine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos.
...And PAC SWI-PS is the hard-wired solution for connecting Pioneer.
(Also some Sony too if I remember correctly. WhiteBird00, I remember you saying something about some Sony working and some not. Can you shed some light on this?)

To be able to use a hard-wired solution, make sure the aftermarket headunit has the remote control port. Not all have it. Typically, it looks like a 1/8" headphone jack on the back of the headunit, but it will be labeled "remote".
Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

All of the Sonys that support a hardwired remote connection will work with the PAC SWI-PS. Some Sony models with infrared remotes won't work with the universal SWI-X because they use a non-standard infrared frequency.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're only scared of PAC SWI-X... don't be. I have it in mine with a Clarion. It was amazingly easy to install and use. And it doesn't lose it's memory no matter how long the battery is unhooked.

I haven't messed with the direct wire kits, they didn't have them yet when I hooked up mine. They're probably easier yet.

Search this Thread