Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Homegrown GTO tt setups anyone?Reference PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Homegrown GTO tt setups anyone?Reference PICS

Long story short, my cousin has been bitching about wishing he could afford to do something with his daily driven GTO(05ls2 manual) to give it some real ***** but, without going radical(he has a couple of big cub'd LSx's with either a big single or a direct port for radical)..

I have a pair of 61mm turbos with gt35R compressor wheels,...brand new that I was going to sell but, after being stood up by a buyer, and after thinking for a bit... I decided to give them to my cousin josh for his 2005 GTO as well as a couple of turbosmart 38mm wastegates that I can no longer use, as well as injectors, and BAP. I have alot of 3 inch coldside pipe(too big?) and probably a decent amount of various silicone couplers and clamps we could reuse.

Now, we have WAY too many projects going on between the two of us to do ANOTHER car,...or even spend more money on anything new or buy a multi thousand dollar kit. It's just not possible. So,..we need to be as budget as posisble. We were HOPING to spend like 500 bucks in parts.(don't laugh *******)

All we need to figure out, is the hotside. Now, I did some research, and found a kit that uses the stock manifolds, in stock locations, with GT28's I believe.

we're,..or, i've been thinking of what, how to do it but,..it's always nice to see pictures or idea's of what someone else has already done,..or gone through. I know it helped to ask for my TT build on my own car.

Anyways, here's the pics,...if you look at the two weird shaped hotside steel pipes next to the turbos in the first pic, you'll see kind what I think we wanna do.

But, I can't get ANY pic's of it closer, or from underneath the car. They DO use the STCK manifolds in what appears to be stock configuration/location(left on left, right on right). They just use a mid pipe hat bolts to the stock manifold, then to the t3/t4 flange....to the turbo. Has anyone done this kit?...or style? Any pictures that could further help us out? We're right next to an awesome fab shop that costs us out everything,...even labor hookups so, we are ging to do this,...just wanted to insight on proper pipe,...sizing, etc.

Thanks for any insght. I also have an AIR TO WATER intercooler but, I don't think we'll use it cause we don't want to use the tank that I have for it, or decrease the size of the trunk more then we already have to(reloacte the battery).

Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

..also..note:...were not trying to make GOBS of power,..jsut a fun F U car for the highway, that still uses the stock mufflers.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could just buy my STS kit. Pm me if you are interested
Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by seala8
you could just buy my STS kit. Pm me if you are interested

Thank you but no thank you.

That'd number one mean spending more money(we REALLY are on a budget)
and I am not a fan of the STS kit visual location on a GTO or an F body. I know they CAN preform but, it's not the route that we want to go. Believe it or not, we could fab up a rear mount kit in a few hours on that car but,..we want a front mounted setup.

Thanks again though.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact Rick over at Synergy.
he has done it.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hear what i got ,

Old 10-26-2008, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way to do it for close to that budget is to flip the stock manifolds and build a custom kit off that. Although if that company will allow you to just buy the hitside/coldside, it would make your life A LOT easier.

If you can do exhaust work or have someone to help you out for cheap, you can build a sweet TT street kit for close to nothing, but again personally I'de just buy the pre-made hotside stuff if they'll sell it without the rest of the kit.

Ebay intercoolers will save you some cash and work just as well, between the turbos and the wastegates, you're already saving him a bunch of money on his build.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We did one with truck mani's upside down and backwards. Worked really well, with 7psi it trapped 118 in the quarter with no other changes, when stock it went 105 in the quarter.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love you guys.

Thank your for your time and the pics.

firehawk123....nice. Thats the kit(obviously)!!! That uses the STOCK manifolds in the STOCK locations, correct? Any cutting with the kit at all? Just want to know what where in for.

Originally Posted by sciff5
Only way to do it for close to that budget is to flip the stock manifolds and build a custom kit off that. Although if that company will allow you to just buy the hitside/coldside, it would make your life A LOT easier.

If you can do exhaust work or have someone to help you out for cheap, you can build a sweet TT street kit for close to nothing, but again personally I'de just buy the pre-made hotside stuff if they'll sell it without the rest of the kit.

Ebay intercoolers will save you some cash and work just as well, between the turbos and the wastegates, you're already saving him a bunch of money on his build.

We thought of ebay as well for the intercooler and BOV's. I recently found a good turbo shop in miami that really takes care of me and hooks me up in exchange for some representing when I go to the local track(s). So i'm gonna try and find out the dimensions needed(anyone know the intercooler size?).

I'm also hoping the the 38mm watsegates will hold these turbos. They didn't keep down the presure at all on my car, which is why I removed them and went bigger. Anyways, thanks for the insight bro.

Originally Posted by hellbents10
We did one with truck mani's upside down and backwards. Worked really well, with 7psi it trapped 118 in the quarter with no other changes, when stock it went 105 in the quarter.

Thats awesome to hear, thank you. I have been thinking about it but wasn't sure it would fit. I do have a spare set of C6 manifolds, which I did think about flipping upside down and backwards but, again, I wasn't sure without seeing the car in front of me everyday(it's two hours away).

lemme ask you, did you have to do ANY altering or cutting of the car to make the manifolds work? Did you have to reloacte anything at all?...IE power steering...alternator..etc?

Looks like a nice big fat engine bay but, I know things start getting tight once you add all the piping.

Again, everyone, thanks for the insight. Hoping to hear more form you all.

-Jamie
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Here is some pics, first is a single setup we built. Stock pass mani with a 2.5" cross over behind the engine and a 6l truck mani back words on the driver side. Down pipe is 3 1/2" and has a oval section by the steering shaft. Utilizing a Bullseye S374 with race cover. This setup made 825/847 to the tires through a 6 speed and has trapped over 140mph at 3950lbs.

The twin setup was a super budget kit with truck manis cut and welded on t3 flanges for the ebay turbos. Been very reliable, no troubles for over 2 years. This setup was never dyno'd but I am guessing 500whp as it trapped 118 at 7psi on pump fuel. This was also a 6 speed car and had the full stock exhaust including cats.

We had to slightly relocate the ABS on this setup and used a intank 255 Walbro.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome pics man. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Helps alot. This is pretty much what we want,...a pretty much stock, problem free car,..thats just for daily driving....and isn't thousands of dollars.

Again, we appreciate it alot.

Jut checked your site too.......i'm digging the light weight blocks.

wicked.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No problem, check back this winter as we are going to start on modding ls blocks for strength and adding provisions for 6 bolt heads.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Budget setups are sweet.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Awesome pics man. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Helps alot. This is pretty much what we want,...a pretty much stock, problem free car,..thats just for daily driving....and isn't thousands of dollars.

Again, we appreciate it alot.

Jut checked your site too.......i'm digging the light weight blocks.

wicked.
You'd prolly get along with these guys real good, considering they like to make stupid power on stock bottom ends too...

Home of the most powerful stock long block LQ9 825whp, 10.66@139.83 in a 2005 6sd GTO@3950lbs.
So...TT on the goat, I knew this was gonna happen....
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have to watch out though didn't you guys just make 78X+whp lol. Man this 825 is getting weak need to turn it up.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
I have to watch out though didn't you guys just make 78X+whp lol. Man this 825 is getting weak need to turn it up.
LOL, crazy world we live in here at LS1tech...

V-Series' car did make 786, on pump gas, no meth, stock LS6 bottom end as delivered by GM.
Had more in it for sure, but we were about 100rwhp past our predetermined point of sanity, so we left it alone....hmmmm, he just called me and said he was getting the fuel system in soon, in reality that's what was holding us back.

OK J, once the fuel system goes on we run it up to 830 rwhp to take the record from Hellbent!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We will see???? Dave is driving his GTO over to the shop tomorrow and he is only a 40mi tow from home lol. He has had it up to 22psi on the street, the 825 was at 19! I need to get your software for the Fords too!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I love the smell of "competition" in the air. Speaking of which, see you this Wed/Thur to max out the TC-76.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

What about software for the damn diesels???
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I think every one on the site will be looking forward to seeing the tc unit crest 700 through a un-locked auto adn 22" wheels.

Quick Reply: Homegrown GTO tt setups anyone?Reference PICS