Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is goiing on here? Valve stem problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is goiing on here? Valve stem problem?

I pulled off my intake manifold today and got quite a surprise. As you can see there was a ton of oil (I wiped some of it off before I took the pictures, but it looked the consistency of mortar or mud) all over the intake for #5. The #5 runner on the manifold is also covered with the stuff. As you can see #5 piston doesn't exactly look like the others either. I pulled the manifold after the spark plug from #5 came out with oil all over the upper threads and a shiny clean electrode. The other runners iin the intake only have the typical light coating of oil - nothing at all like the sludge on #5.

The car ran just fine, but was using oil enough that I noticed.

What is this? I appreciate any help. I have a few other fun problems after this one gets sorted out like a leaking crank plug that has been coating my clutch with oil since I put the drive train together.

The combo is LS2 402 block, Livernois Stage 3r heads, long tubes, standard stuff, different car

Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Was there teflon or a sealer on the threads of the rocker bolt? That could cause it. Hopefully it is something like that, and not something major.

I know a guy who had a leaky rear plug in an Eagle crank and he used JB Weld to seal it up. Worked like a charm, just don't go crazy with it.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from the pick you have it looks like that piston has detonation damage around the edges. It might just be the way the pick looks but if the ring land is damaged that would explain the oil. Get a close up pic of just that piston. How does the bore look with the piston at BTDC?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS
Was there teflon or a sealer on the threads of the rocker bolt? That could cause it. Hopefully it is something like that, and not something major.

I know a guy who had a leaky rear plug in an Eagle crank and he used JB Weld to seal it up. Worked like a charm, just don't go crazy with it.
I bet that is it. I didn't even think of that, but these heads have a ton of port work on them. I am surprised that I only had the problem in one cylinder.

The piston is not damaged in any way - that is just the muck that I haven't cleaned off yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by rao
I bet that is it. I didn't even think of that, but these heads have a ton of port work on them. I am surprised that I only had the problem in one cylinder.

The piston is not damaged in any way - that is just the muck that I haven't cleaned off yet.
Well I hope that is it, best of luck to ya.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
rao
TECH Resident

I spoke with Livernois this morning and they confirmed that the rocker bolt is the likely culprit.

They do have outstanding customer service!!

Quick Reply: What is goiing on here? Valve stem problem?