Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom stereo question

Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Custom stereo question

When I purchased my car, the previous owner had installed a custom aftermarket stereo setup. The components are a Kicker 700.5 amp, Pioneer Premier headunit, and four Memphis 6.5" speakers. Over the past few months, the front passenger speaker has started crackling bad enough when it is on that I can't keep the front speakers on anymore, so I decided to try and troubleshoot the issue. I swapped the outputs on the back of the headunit to reverse the front right/left speakers, but the same speaker still crackles so I think it's safe to assume the speaker is shot and it's not a connection on the headunit. I also let the install guy at Best Buy hear it and he said it sounds like the tweeter is shot.

Now, I pulled the speaker out and it appears to be a component type setup with separate connections for high frequency and low frequency (two tabs for each on the back of the speaker with the little slide on connectors). But the tweeter is still built in to the center of the speaker, not separate like on a normal component speaker.

My questions are is there a certain name for this type of speaker where it has a component type connection but the tweeter is still built in to the speaker? How can I go about searching for a replacement speaker with this type of setup/connection? I basically want to buy something and be able to just mount it up and plug it in, a direct swap replacement, but I can't seem to find something that has this same type of setup with the tweeter built in.

I am pretty new to the whole car audio thing, so bear with me if any of the questions/info seem stupid or don't make sense. I can clarify anything you need to know. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check out keeaudio, he has a component setup with the tweeter mounted in the center like you are talking about. He is a sponsor.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a component with a coaxial mount or a coaxial with an external crossover.

polk momo mmc650 last years model nice speakers and cheap on that famous auction site and would work well
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
check out keeaudio, he has a component setup with the tweeter mounted in the center like you are talking about. He is a sponsor.
I'll contact him, thanks!
Originally Posted by pentavolvo
its a component with a coaxial mount or a coaxial with an external crossover.

polk momo mmc650 last years model nice speakers and cheap on that famous auction site and would work well
Yeah, the Best Buy guy said there must be an external crossover somewhere that I couldn't see. I found those POLK speakers you were talking about and they appear to be what I'm looking for. Any other options brand-wise? Also, I notice they come with external crossovers. Would I need to replace the crossovers for the current speakers with the new ones or would the currently installed ones work with the new speakers? Thanks!

Any more info is appreciated.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 10-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would recommend swapping them out but not 100% necessary. for best results i woudl swap em. crossovers most likely are in the door somewhere wire tied out of the way. just trace the wires back i guess. or in the kickpanels or back in the trunk somwhere. do the aftermarket door speakers tie into the stock wiring or is there new wiring ran to them. this can help us determine the location of crossovers.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i would recommend swapping them out but not 100% necessary. for best results i woudl swap em. crossovers most likely are in the door somewhere wire tied out of the way. just trace the wires back i guess. or in the kickpanels or back in the trunk somwhere. do the aftermarket door speakers tie into the stock wiring or is there new wiring ran to them. this can help us determine the location of crossovers.
I will have to check on the wiring when I get home. It's all apart, so I can check this afternoon. I'd prefer to swap them out if it will be better, but how do they typically hook up? What are the connections on the crossovers like? I've never seen one before.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

very simple just swap a few wires
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

OK, well the crossover was mounted right behind the speaker on the door but the wiring is totally different wiring than stock. I may just use the current crossovers because they don't just unplug easily or anything, I'd have to splice them together. If it sounds bad I'll do the splicing but otherwise I see no reason to.

Search this Thread