Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new speaker and it still dont work. please need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new speaker and it still dont work. please need your help!

ok guys when i just bought my car the passenger side front speaker wasent working so i removed it to check it out and i found out the dealer had just cut the speaker wires off and left em disconnected. i connected em and only the tweeter was working. now a year later (yea i waited that long) i bought some new pioneer speakers from walmart and i modified them to go in and i put only the passenger side in today and again it sounds like only the tweeter is working! i dont feel any vibration coming from the actual speaker itself. what could this be? i have to recheck my wiring again and check with a voltmeter but does anybody have a clue what it is? fuse? amp? btw everything else works fine only the passenger side front main speaker is the problem and the tweeter is fine too
Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monsoon or non monsoon?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

its a monsoon, thats what it says on the H/U but why are they delco speakers?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

here are the specs on the speaker i installed
Built for easy installation and great audio-handling with 180 watts at max power.

Key Features:

* Speaker Design: 2-way Coax
* Sensitivity: 90 dB
* Frequency Response: 40 hz ~ 30 kHz
* Max Power Handling: 180 Watts
* Nominal Power Handling: 30 Watts
* Impedance: 4 Ohm
* Crossover Frequencies: 4.5 kHz
* Dimensions (W/O Grill): 6.25" 6.25" x 2.2"
* Cut Out Dimensions: 5.63" x 5.63"
* Mounting Depth: 1.63"
* Woofer Size: 6.25"
* Diaphragm Material: IMPP composite cone ( interlaced 3rd generation aramid fiber)
* Surround: Cloth
* Magnet Material: Ferrite
* Voice Coil Bobbin: Polymide
* Voice Coil: Copper
* Damper: Single Tweeter
* Type: Dome
* Size: 1.19"
* Diaphragm Material: PEI
* Magnet Material: Neodymium
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You need to look for another pair of wires in the door. The Monsoon system came with component speakers in the doors (coaxially mounted in Camaros) so there are separate speaker wires for the tweeter and the woofer. The tweeter wires (the ones you found already) have a high-pass filtered signal so you get only treble from anything connected to them. The missing pair of wires for the factory woofer carries a full-range signal.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Banned

will it work if i switch around the wires and see if it works
Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You need to look for another pair of wires in the door. The Monsoon system came with component speakers in the doors (coaxially mounted in Camaros) so there are separate speaker wires for the tweeter and the woofer. The tweeter wires (the ones you found already) have a high-pass filtered signal so you get only treble from anything connected to them. The missing pair of wires for the factory woofer carries a full-range signal.
well ok i put in the speaker on the drivers side i found the owner b4 changed only that one speaker to a sony one and was wired up so mickey moused, but it works ausome now with the new speaker. but the speaker on the passenger side still only the tweet is working. i am going to trace the mid bass wires back to the amp and see if there is continuity, but i was looking at the pins for the amp and why does it show that those tweeters go to the amp at the back of the car? i thought they only went to the H/U? and btw the wires for the front speakers are black and red, there not blue or light blue like you state in the sticky. any more help would be appreciated. thanks alot man
Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
...but the speaker on the passenger side still only the tweet is working. i am going to trace the mid bass wires back to the amp and see if there is continuity, but i was looking at the pins for the amp and why does it show that those tweeters go to the amp at the back of the car? i thought they only went to the H/U?
The tweeters are powered by the head unit in Firebirds but all eight speakers are powered by the Monsoon amp in Camaros.

Originally Posted by ae13291
...and btw the wires for the front speakers are black and red, there not blue or light blue like you state in the sticky. any more help would be appreciated. thanks alot man
If you trace further back in the harness you'll find that the various color speaker wires from the amp connect to red and black wires just before the speaker.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

ahh ok thanks for your info so much whitebird00 i have figured out my brother had crossed the tweet and midbass wire a while ago and i ooked the new speakers up in the same order, im lucky the tweeter dident blow since i was driving that way the whole time! now it all works great and sounds amazing! i cant believe how much improvement just two speakers made. thanks for your help and i have some pics to post up to see how i did the wires and modified the speakers.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

i think the tweeter is actually screwed it was sounding weird today damm