Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lt1 smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 smoking

I have 97 LT1 (53,000 miles) that has a procharger on (8psi), was dyno tuned.
A large amount of white smoke comes from my breather on the valve cover, and every other hole I have on my valve covers. Oil is over my pasenger side hood by breather, and breather is soaked with oil.

Car is smoking out the exhaust, and I found oil residue spots all over on my bumper.

I had no problems until I came back from a quick ride, where I discovered smoke pooring out from my hood and under side of car, and some comes from exhaust when I touch the acelerator.

I have a huge lose of power.

Deffinitly smells like oil.
No real noise, except for a light miss.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Buzz
Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is time to pull the cylinder heads and check out the head gaskets and the pistons. Don't drive it anymore until you check it out, I wouldn't even try cranking it over. We had one car that a customer dropped off for us to check out. It had filled a cylinder up with antifreeze and when it was cranked over it broke the starter off and bent a connecting rod. Bob
Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your oil level high?or milky? tell tale signs of a blown headgasket...maybe even bubbles in radiator coolant..If your not losing coolant and arent puking liquid out your tailpipe then you probally toasted your pistons or rings or both. I wouldnt start it either until its atleast had the heads off for a looksy
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you cracked a ring...do a compression test. i bet youll find at least 1 cyl is low..most likely #7

Quick Reply: Lt1 smoking