Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Saying goodbye to an old friend

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Saying goodbye to an old friend

Lot of you guys have seen this car go from a 10.0 street car to what it is now over the last four years and its been a lot of fun. I have been getting a little bored with it and after a big wheelstand a couple weeks ago I decided to part it out after I noticed the block cracked on landing. Its a shame, if there was another bolt on top it may have been enough but it hit hard enough to rip out the top bolt and crack the rest of them. Funny thing was I didnt notice it at first, I replaced the pan and even drove it around, but there was an oil leak and noticed the cracks while looking for the leak (cracked into the oil galley on the LH side).

So I sold the roller and it will be gone in a few days, kind of a sad day, been a great car and a ton of fun over the last four years. Even though it has some high dollar parts, except for the 25.5 and the shortblock everything was done here at home and in reality was a very simple and easy to duplicate combo. Going to miss it, not sure what I'm going to do with the engine/blower/trans yet but I have all winter to decide.

Here is a pic the block and the car ready to go - I'm going to miss it. Its going to Chicago and will be getting a big block most likely.

Last edited by kp; 12-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I heard you say you were tired of the setup when you broke the pan, I seen this coming. You need to get something else, thats for sure.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will u part the motor out???
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

What made you decide to sell it instead of rebuild it? Looking for something new?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by underpressureWs6
will u part the motor out???
Not sure yet, I may replace the block and keep it.

Originally Posted by allthrotle
What made you decide to sell it instead of rebuild it? Looking for something new?
I was wanting to sell it for a while, just kind of bored with it. Since it was fresh and running well I was in no hurry to sell it at all. I really accomplished everything I wanted to with the car and I went a little too far with the 25.5 cage, beadlocks etc thinking if I did that first I would go turbo and step the car up but I just lost enthusiasm to upgrade the drivetrain. I run the car myself most of the time and maintaining the car, diesel truck, enclosed trailer, generator, ATV, not to mention maintaining a good sized house and a couple kids just started to be too much of a chore. Not to mention no decent dragstrips around kind of kills the fun of a track only car..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I think a vette is coming LOL!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
8 Second Club

man it will be missed!
i think i speak on the behalf of alot of members here , that i thoroughly enjoyed following your progress. your car was an inpiration to many of us .

good luck with what ever you will be doing later on , just make sure to keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I think a vette is coming LOL!
Na, I've had a 63, 65, 68, 72, 76, 81, 88, 94 and 99 corvette. Having 2 kids and a vette is like having a race car - pretty useless

Honestly I liked this car the best when it had a 6 point roll bar, stock seats and running 9.70s or so - was a lot of fun to drive around when bored and ultra reliable at the track.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Find another not so modified chassis and stuff your drivetrain into it?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
man it will be missed!
i think i speak on the behalf of alot of members here , that i thoroughly enjoyed following your progress. your car was an inpiration to many of us .

good luck with what ever you will be doing later on , just make sure to keep us posted.
I appreciate it, it was a lot of work and a lot of fun. But this isnt the first time I went overboard building a car into a race car and lost interest in it. But this the longest I have ever kept any car and I have had a lot over the years. Its hard to sell something like that, I wish I had a bigger garae, I would ahve liked to park it and give it to one of my my kids when they were old enough but thats a few years down the road..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, that sucks about the block. That's kind of in a funky spot too.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by magic
Find another not so modified chassis and stuff your drivetrain into it?
I'm thinking about it, I would just try to find a clean mostly stock hardtop Z28 or formula. Or find a nice lightweight tube chassied car and throw this drivetrain in it. That would be fast and kind of unique..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Damn, that sucks about the block. That's kind of in a funky spot too.
Not really, when the pan hit it pushed everything up and the motor and trans mount stopped it and just gave in the middle.

1900lbs falling on it from 10' high at 80mph is hard on parts, if there were two bolts on top holding the bellhousing it may not of happened, it just pulled the top bolt right out and broke the block. It still drove fine, good thing it leaked oil because I was ready to take it to the track Sunday
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car was deffiinately one bad machine. Kind of what im saving to do a big FI build but make it look very clean with a few race car touches. At least the car went out with a bang and you got the sick wheelstand on video for the future.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28adiction
Your car was deffiinately one bad machine. Kind of what im saving to do a big FI build but make it look very clean with a few race car touches. At least the car went out with a bang and you got the sick wheelstand on video for the future.
I guess, I would have rather ran a new best ET though
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

Well damn, I hope you are still going to on the board from time to time
?? You are one of the main guy's I ask for info alot of the time's if I have a issue! Sorry you got bored with it, but I am sure you will have something else that will surprise us all!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said in your for sale thread, your car is one of my favorite cars on here. That car is where I want to be......low 9's street car.

Stick around the boards. We value your knowledge.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I smell fish. You got something up your sleeve in the works!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Well damn, I hope you are still going to on the board from time to time
?? You are one of the main guy's I ask for info alot of the time's if I have a issue! Sorry you got bored with it, but I am sure you will have something else that will surprise us all!
I dont mind coming on here, its easier than racing the car

Problem with drag racing is unless you go faster it gets pretty boring, I'm getting up there in years also and the last thing I want to do is get hurt in a car at the track. I've been doing this for 30 years now and I have had a couple minor incidents in faster cars than this one so I consider myself lucky overall. I just dont have the ***** to strap myself in a fast stock suspension car on the craptastic tracks around here and its getting too expensive to travel across the country every other weekend.

But since I already have a truck, trailer and everything else who knows, honestly all that cost more than the car did lol.

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Like I said in your for sale thread, your car is one of my favorite cars on here. That car is where I want to be......low 9's street car.

Stick around the boards. We value your knowledge.
Like I said I'm not going anywhere just yet..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kp
I'm thinking about it, I would just try to find a clean mostly stock hardtop Z28 or formula. Or find a nice lightweight tube chassied car and throw this drivetrain in it. That would be fast and kind of unique..
I knew we should of got together and traded cars. Your LS2 could have gone in place of my LT1, and Bob's engine could have gone in your black one, and Bob could of watched us race!

Good luck on your next project Kevin, you will get bored soon enough.

Jon
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye to an old friend