Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What Wires To Use For The Following

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Wires To Use For The Following

Hey guys, i am a wiring / electrical newb. I know jack **** on how to wire things up And i hate that i haven't learned yet. Well i am on a mission to learn

So here it goes. I am going to want to wire up my E-cutout, LineLock, Fan Switch and maybe HUmount.

So my question is where would you wire all this up? I know to put the switched in the ashtray, but how do you know what wires to use for HOT and what wires to use for GROUND? Also what sort of splicer or what ever you would use lets say if my cut out wiring harness has a hot wire and ground wire. What 'gadget' would you use to splice the hot wires together?

So basically i am looking for info on what wires by the center console (ashtray) and what wires by the TCS/cigarette lighter are HOT ans Ground.

BTW my 2002 Trans Am DOES NOT have TCS. But from my understanding there is still a harness back there for it?

Thanks guys for your help

-Jonas
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ground right to bare metal under the counsel, IMO pull power from the fuse box or battery
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
ground right to bare metal under the counsel, IMO pull power from the fuse box or battery
if you pull from the fuse box. what fused provide constant power?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are special connectors to use that slide in with your fuse that will pull power off of the same fuse. These are available at most auto parts stores. If you need constant power, get yourself a test light and connect the alligator clip to a good ground and then check all the fuses for power with the key off. Then pull the fuse out that you find constant power on and check both sides where the fuse plugs in and you will find that one side wont have power with the fuse out. Use that side of the fuse with the connector and you will be pulling power from the outlet side of the fuse.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

if i do not want to use the fuses what wires would i use for constant power that are located in the ash tray area and by the cigerette lighter?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Assuming u have lighted switches.....U can "Y" all ur connections....so u can pull just 1 powerline from ur AUX under the hood...and split into all ur switches u can also "Y" all ur grounds for the switches and run the 1 ground wire to ur choice of location.....as for the grounds on each of ur different items...i would ground them as close as possible to where u mount them.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...32&highlight=y

Thats what i mean by "Y"
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is cig lighter may not have enough to power all this stuff

humount should tap power from right behind the radio as its convenient

linelock i generally wire the 12 volt end right under the hood with a fuse then run a switch on the ground side

ecutout u could tap from cig lighter no problem
Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Banned

if there is a remote wire you can just use the battery for constant and use something else for the remote, if not you might be surprised on the power comeing through that little cig lighter