Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal noise??

Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal noise??

My recently purchased 2001 T/A is my first LS based engine and I'm curious about the sound of the engine. Since this is an aluminum engine and not a cast iron engine, should I hear more internal engine noise, especially on a cold start, than with a cast iron engine? It has 93,000 miles and I'm wondering if it is normal noise or if it has just been driven hard. It runs great and there are no real knocking or unusual noises, just louder than I am used to.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to say without hearing it, but there is a certain amount of noise expected from stock short-block LS1's. Some of it is usually piston slap due to piston to wall clearances from the factory.

Is the valvetrain factory stock? It is expected also to hear a bit more noise from aftermarket (more aggressive) cam profiles, valve springs, etc.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine is stock and some of the noises I am hearing could very well be piston slap. I can hear some valve train noise but that is not unusual to me. I'm just not used to hearing the bottom end and rotating parts.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

LS1's are pretty much the noisyist engines stock out there, it sucks but its normal, go to a meet and listen to some others run, you will probably find they sound the same, if not you may have an issue, but in general they are kinda noisy motors.

Search this Thread