Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dome/inside light won't go off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome/inside light won't go off?

I'm having problems with my dome light. I know it's not left on by accident. When I close the doors and lock the car it doesn't go off, it just stays on. I saw this cause I washed and waxed the car, and at the very end of waxing the thing, the light inside was still on. I checked to make sure I didn't bump the switch all the way up.

One other thing is that my alarm is goofy. I use the key fob on my keys to lock the car and I only get one beep. Normally when you lock the car I get 2 toots/beeps and it's locked. The alarm light doesn't look right as well.

Does anyone have some suggestions on what to look at? Ever have problems like this before? I had to unplug my battery to turn the damn dome light off, otherwise I'll just drain it.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's just your dome light, you should just be able to remove the bulb and there should be no drain on your battery. I'd think there's wiring crossed somewhere that's continally feeding power to the bulb. As long as you're sure the switch isn't the issue.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the idea, but the lights under my rear view mirror are on all the time as well. So that wouldn't do anything unfortunately.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One beep when arming the alarm on my setting means the hatch isn't fully closed - maybe that and the interior lights staying on are related.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
One beep when arming the alarm on my setting means the hatch isn't fully closed - maybe that and the interior lights staying on are related.
Yup. One beep = something not closed properly.

Open and close the hatch. Its almost always the culprit. Otherwise, try the doors. If its still happening, it might be a faulty door switch.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem with the dome light about 2 weeks ago. and all the doors were shut so was the hatch. i called pontiac and said to let it sit for 10 minutes and the light will dim. and it did, the next day it was fine. Crazy