Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expensive LCA

ok how much is to much?

LG Motorsports sells an Alum LCA for 299.99
(not picking a LG just an example)
but they look like great pieces. and great quality.

and chomoly ones could range from 150 to 300.
---Those are all rod end ones

Now poly BMR has a 250 aluminum set(which look great), but steel ones you can find as cheap as 85 on ebay.

My question is where will they stop, if ever?

I know a place that was asked just recently to build a titanium set.(holy ****). but the price will be around 450 to 500 for the set. (i know the guy has the money, rich old farmer) but is that realy ever need.

but if it is . and you can get strong steel for 150. and strong chromo for 225. and strong alum for 300. is titanium the next step. strong and light. and if people buy alum for 300 why not the worlds best for 500.

idk where i am going with this . just crazy how the world works.

put you two cents in if you want.
thanks
Big Bird
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd take UMI or BMR over Ebay crap any day of the week. I'll pay ~100 bucks more for reputable parts that are I've witnessed good customer support on.

Ebay stuff might be good too, but not a risk I'm personally willing to take. That's just my opinion. If your outraged by prices, send them an email or phone call. I personally have no problem with them.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If they start making making a titanium set... yes some people would buy them regardless of cost.. not all but some would go for it.

Some people buy items based on looks rather then performance.. they just want those ones because they look cooler. For people that show there cars more then drive them or race them I can understand this.

Price varies based on manufacture... well known manufactures that have been around for decades can get a little more for products because of there name regardless of there quality or components being used.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Price varies based on manufacture... well known manufactures that have been around for decades can get a little more for products because of there name regardless of there quality or components being used.
But to get to the point where your name sells products is a huge accomplishment. You dont get a big name by making junk. And most companies want to keep there good name
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DlXlE
But to get to the point where your name sells products is a huge accomplishment. You dont get a big name by making junk. And most companies want to keep there good name
Excellent point! I worded that a little bit incorrect.. I meant more or less when big name brands invest in different product lines they can charge higher amounts and not offer the highest quality.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DlXlE
You dont get a big name by making junk. And most companies want to keep there good name
Correct. Gotta make good stuff to make it big. Though once manufacturers get big, some tend to skimp when making changes to their products to save money. Since their name now sells, they can afford to do this. All that matters in the end to some companies, and probably the larger scale ones, is the net money they make.

Doing your own research pays off. Learning to read between the lines and figure out what you are actually getting is key. Some things I'll pay dirt cheap prices for and have no issues picking up on Ebay. Though LCA's hold my axle to my car, and I don't feel like taking the cheap road in that case.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

like z28bryan said, you gotta do the research. And company's will always have price wars with one another to gain business but in the end it comes down to customer satisfaction and product satisfaction. Also from what i have seen the company's that have been around longer have more R&D into parts and therefor stand behind them with better warranty's (LPE, UMI, BMR) and better performance in proven situations.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
like z28bryan said, you gotta do the research. And company's will always have price wars with one another to gain business but in the end it comes down to customer satisfaction and product satisfaction. Also from what i have seen the company's that have been around longer have more R&D into parts and therefor stand behind them with better warranty's (LPE, UMI, BMR) and better performance in proven situations.

Absolutely correct!! that's why we offer a 2 year warranty on all items we produce!! which is one of the best in the business
Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aluminum or steel LCAs and PHBs can be built yourself easy enough. BUt you will find that compiling all teh parts to do it won't be very much less than buying on the open market.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Just FYI, LG has all their Fbody suspension parts maked down right now.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

This "old but venerable" thread from another forum has some insight that I think may be of use in this thread: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...opic=6781&st=0

"How much is too much" to spend is a matter of personal preference (in economic terms). Now, "how much is too much" with regards to engineering is what I have to debate with much of the LCA's currently previously marketed and with what premise.

Certainly not all people in this forum are interested in "handling" but it does mention quite a bit about what's necessary with regards to LCA's.