Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Looking for advice on building a street/track 292

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for advice on building a street/track 292

Looking for a challenge and something different, so I am seriously considering building a 292 (4.8L) that will really rev and make good power for its cid.

I know it won't do squat on the street off the line and that is OK for my purposes, but I do want the ability to drive it in all kinds of traffic if necessary.

It will go in a lightweight '55 Shivrolet (lol) built to carv up corners. The plan is to run it on road courses, big auto-x's and the occasional 1/4 mile.

6 speed manual so I could run a steep gear out back. Not sure of tire size yet. But they'll be 17" wheels.

If anyone wants to offer their ideas on the best combo to get the job done without spending more than needed on a motor that size, I'd like to hear the suggestions.

Specifically which block, heads, crank...how much cam and head work, what intake choices, TB's etc. I may pony up for a 8 ITB style intake (i.e. Kinsler), but want to find out power wise how other intake options compare first.

Thanks,

Skip
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to break it to you, but there's no purpose of building a stock cubic inch 4.8. The best thing you could do is hone it out to 3.905 (LS1 aftermarket piston bore) and put some forged pistons in there. If you plan on sticking NA use a small dish or domed piston (depending on desired compression) and put some ARP rod bolts in at the same time. You'd be able to rev that to around 7300 depending on the cam and all of the other parts.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll want to seriously consider the bore and stroke of this engine before you spend a dime on anything. High rpm road race engines prefer a larger bore and shorter stroke to keep piston speeds down. You can then take advantage of better breating heads with larger valves due to the larger bores.

There are several ways to skin this cat as far as cylinder heads options are concerned. Knowing an approximate budget would also help.

Richard
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
The best thing you could do is hone it out to 3.905 (LS1 aftermarket piston bore) and put some forged pistons in there.
Richard thanks for the info. I quoted the other poster because although it would be simplest to keep the bore stock I know obviously it limits power.

So I am very open to bore and stroke but would prefer to keep it between 280-290 cid. Budget is $15K+-.

(To save time before anyone tells me again I can get an LS7 for that $$$ let me save you the trouble...I know.)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have $15k to spend and you want to build a 292? Are you adverse to making power or stuck with this idea for some odd reason?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You have $15k to spend and you want to build a 292? Are you adverse to making power or stuck with this idea for some odd reason?
What's odd is why you feel you need to keep posting in this thread.

I want to build a certain size motor.

I didn't ask for opinions on my reasoning.

Just the best way to do it and if you're not interested in answering my question...

Moving on...

Last edited by redlineit; 11-04-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on building a street/track 292