Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help me separate my steering wheel control from my head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me separate my steering wheel control from my head unit

What I want to do is be able to measure the resistance of button presses without the steering wheel controls needing to be hooked up to the head unit. Right now, when I pull the one blue steering wheel wire out to measure the resistance, it must break the circuit because I don't get any resistance.

If someone could explain to me how to do use the steering wheel controls, without being hooked up to the head unit. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this makes it a little easier to follow:

Attached Thumbnails Help me separate my steering wheel control from my head unit-steering-wheel-control-circuit.jpg  
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Fantastic. I don't really know what I'm looking at here, but hopefully someone will know what to do based on this diagram.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

What problems are you experiencing? Are you hooked up to a factory stereo or to an interface for an aftermarket head unit?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty562
What I want to do is be able to measure the resistance of button presses without the steering wheel controls needing to be hooked up to the head unit. Right now, when I pull the one blue steering wheel wire out to measure the resistance, it must break the circuit because I don't get any resistance.
you can back probe the wire.

Fantastic. I don't really know what I'm looking at here, but hopefully someone will know what to do based on this diagram.
the resistance for each function is shown in the diagram.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

If someone could explain to me how to do use the steering wheel controls, without being hooked up to the head unit. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Ive got a module for sale that will allow you to directly interface the factory steering wheel controls for an aftermarket radio (Sony, Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine,kenwood, Jvc, Clarion . ETC). They normally sell for 200$ retail , 100$ on ebay.... im selling for 50$ + shipping. It has a small booklet with directions as well. It is soundgate brand.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

I can interface my steering wheel buttons directly to my laptop with this solution. Thanks though .
Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can interface my steering wheel buttons directly to my laptop with this solution. Thanks though .
what are you doing?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

I've replaced my head unit with a 7" touchscreen. It's the best decision I've made with my car . I have gps, music, music videos, movies, games, internet, and more at the touch of my fingertips.

When I'm driving I generally only use the music functionality so being able to interface my steering wheel control buttons with the computer will be a nice improvement.

The only thing stopping me now is the piece of hardware I'm using to do this isn't recognized by my laptop . A fit-pc is on the way shortly though.

It's a real challenge to get a setup in a car like this that anyone can get in and use naturally. I'm almost to that point.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I was going to do that, but I gave up and ended up just mounting an Alpine W205 instead.

Do you have it boot up when the accessories are live. or is it independent of the ignition switch?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Someone built a small circuit that simulates a key press when it senses power. This starts up the laptop when I turn the ignition switch on. It has a usb plug that plugs into the pc so you can't accidentally power it off the same way as long as power is applied. Before I would manually press a button every time I got into my car. I didn't think that felt very natural.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I am looking to do the same thing, think this will do it ++++

http://www.fusioncontrolcentre.com

lotsa info here -

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fb-d...-controls.html
Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

That's what I'm using . It's fantastic.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Good to hear since I just ordered one myself
Old 12-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

I just received mine, now I'm trying to find a wiring harness so I don't have to work with the stock harness. The one from Walmart doesn't work. I just tried .

Quick Reply: Help me separate my steering wheel control from my head unit