Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

what can i ru in next year at atco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what can i ru in next year at atco?

ok so this winter im doin alot of work on the car and next year would lik to try some actual racing instead of just goin to street night. wen were done im hopin for a low 11 high 10s car. wat classes do they run at atco and wat do i need to do to participate in one? o and if ur wondering wat were doin we'll be buildin a 396 wit a 200 shot new rear and wateer safety thing thatll be needed.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the weekly program is bracket, so as long as you have safety equipment for the MPH and ET you run, you can run whatever you want.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright bracket racing will be pretty hard in a six speed car but hows that work? lik show up or b4 the season u register?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can register for points ahead of time or opening day I believe. You would have to call the track to find out the time table for that. There are also Index classes, basically just like brackets except everyone dials the same thing and it leaves on a pro tree.

If you are interested in heads up racing, I am afraid that other than a few smaller events, it would take a lot more power than that to be anywhere near competitive.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats wat i thought thanks. to bad i dont hav the money for more power lol. guess ill try some bracket racing. now do u pay lik once in the begining of the season or everytime u go? sorry for all the questions
Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You pay each weekend when you show up. Some tracks have a small fee to sign up for the points championship, you would have to ask the track about that.

The nice thing about bracket racing is that you can go anywhere, any night of the week, and get some practice in. Most of the tracks run similar classes and run gamblers on most of their street nights. So if you want some practice, it is easy to find the chance to get out and get some laps in.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, it is how you learn. If you are new to racing or competing, just talk to guys at the track. You will find that 99% of the people there are chill and happy to help.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea thanx for tha info ill probably do this next year i was originally just gonna go and do the gamblers races but i thought id wanna try more then just that
Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this past season was my first bracket racing points series also... it is a lot fo fun, but if u want to be competitive u HAVE TO GO TO EVERY EVENT! with that being said it is a pretty big commitment and can get expensive... this upcoming season im just gonna go to a few races and thats it and not compete for the championship... but it was def fun, i will prolly do it again in a few years or when i get out of college and have a good flowing income...
Old 11-01-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can start practicing now, regardless of your winter engine upgrades. Just hit the track on street nights and start to develop a little routine that you are comfortable with.

Practice your bunrout, no need for a monster pro stock burn out, just get them hot.

Then practice staging, the biggest thing is to be consistent since it does effect ET. The easiest way in my experience to be consistent getting into the beams, is to "shallow" stage. Basically, just pull far enough in to light both bulbs. It is only a few inches, but the different between shallow and deep staged can be two tenths at the other end.

Then practice reaction time, this just requires passes. Get as many as you can in any can you can get your hands on any time you can get to the track. There is no magic trick to developing reaction times, it is just practice.

When you get to the track to practice, get yourself a little note pad and write down a dial in, and see if you can be consistent enough to match it.

Also, get yourself a log book. Summit, Jegs, and many other shops and companies have them. Get one and use it religiously. This is part of practice, it will show patterns and can show how your car reacts to even small changes in the weather.

Watch the more experienced guys. I learned how to stage by watching Sal and Pete Biondo(Both NHRA stock winners many times over and Pete has even been a national champ). It was amazing how refined their routines were and I patterned my routine after what I saw them do. I also took the chance to talk to them, get a few little tips, and ask some of the questions that I had about racing in general.

When you look at your car, think about what you are going to the track for. There is no need to have old burger king wrappers, spare cloths for work, or your entire cd collection with you. Keep it clean and safe.

The biggest thing to remember is to enjoy it. You race to have fun, don't take it too seriously. At some point while racing you will beat someone you look up to and another time you will lose to some kid that doesn't even have his drivers license yet. Make it fun either way, because even the worst day at the track beats the **** out of the best day I have ever had at work.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def well said tim.... well said.

OH AND DONT RED LIGHT HAHA
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive recently got the burnout RT and staging down good just need work on consistent shifting. my reaction times r lik .0xx usually
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
def well said tim.... well said.

OH AND DONT RED LIGHT HAHA

If you ain't bulbin', you ain't tryin'!!!!! lol

I have been on both sides of the pushing the tree thing before. Got through rounds with perfect lights and lost in the finals once on a -001. It happens.

Pushing the tree for a good RT is something you should do when you practice. It teaches you to react quicker and quicker which improves your regular reaction times.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

this talks makin me wanna go racin to bad my clutch is f***ed right now and ill start my project b4 fixin that