Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Dealership wants to "undo" our deal....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Dealership wants to "undo" our deal....?

So, I'm cruising around in my '97 Jeep Wrangler and see an '03 Z06 that I really like. I go in and talk to the guy about it and take it for a test drive. As we're negotiating a price, he asks if I was looking to trade the Jeep in for the vette. He offers me $5500 on trade, as he is looking at the Jeep from inside his building. He never once went outside to look at the Jeep, nor did he ask me about its condition. Well after a couple of days, we complete the deal and keys were exchanged. They asked me to come in anytime after Sunday to pick up the title for the vette (apparently they had to get it shipped in from somewhere).
Which leads us to today. I get a call from them saying that there are some problems with the Jeep and they want me to either pay to have it repaired or they want to "undo" our deal and we each get our original vehicles back, along with any and all money exchanged.
Have you ever heard of this? They were the ones who didn't even bother to check out the vehicle before they accepted it as a trade. I made damn sure to check out the vette and test drive it before I put any money down.
Is there a law that would allow them to get away with this? I'm pretty nervous because I'm supposed to go and pick up the title from them on Monday. Would they try to hold the title from me unless I complied? Do I have any legal recourse? Any input? Thanks.
-Marc
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they put the offer on paper and went through with it, it is their problem. Unless there is a very specific provision in the paperwork that both you and the dealership signed, they won't have a leg to stand on.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Did you sign all of the paperwork? If everything is sign sealed and delivered it's their problem now.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, but the title's not been delivered yet. that's tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

They can't screw with the title, that'd get them in some big trouble with the state. If you have a contract with the purchase price, trade in value and if $$ exchanged hands I don't see how they can get out of it...especially since they didn't check out the trade in.

Then again I'm not a lawyer so I don't know...I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have the vette all registered and insured and have all the paperwork that states that you bought it from them and for how much. if you do i wouldnt worry about it too much, if it was the flip side you better believe they would be telling you that you should of checked out the car more.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True. And yes, I have a reciept that shows the purchase price minus the trade amount (and what the trade was). I already called him and pretty much told him too bad, that the deal was done. He, of course, replies that the deal is not complete, because they have not given me the title yet.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

itll be an interesting outcome but honestly your in the right. they fucked up, and it sucks but thats life. if price a job to low i cant expect more money cause i messed up, and i know i wont pay extra if someone does it to me. worst comes to worst, you get the DMV and state attorney/consumer protection agency involved. best of luck to you anyway, enjoy your new vette !

Last edited by subarubill96; 11-01-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

idk what your paper work says so if i were you i'd tell them that im going to bring the paperwork to a lawyer and if the lawyer says its your car and they still put up argument let the lawyer handle it f*ck that. if it ends up they're right than beat the daylights out of the car on your LONG LONG way back to the dealer lol. i'd make sure it went back with bald tires atleast. blow em away lots of donuts rotate and repeat lol. Take the paperwork to a lawyer its free to talk to them see whos right you know. what ever you do don't let a dealer intimidate you over paperwork without talking to a professional.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I'm right, I just want to be sure I get the damn title.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Marc,a lawyer costs money so try this.Make a call the the state attorney general and tell them the story.Like everyone said,if all paperwork is signed then it's yours and they can threaten to hold the title but they have to give the title to you and swallow the load.It's on them,make em eat it.And best of all,the state attorney general is free.Your tax dollars at work.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

What is wrong with the Jeep? How much will it cost to fix?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom01ss
Marc,a lawyer costs money so try this.Make a call the the state attorney general and tell them the story.Like everyone said,if all paperwork is signed then it's yours and they can threaten to hold the title but they have to give the title to you and swallow the load.It's on them,make em eat it.And best of all,the state attorney general is free.Your tax dollars at work.
+1 Exactly what i was going to say.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good advice; thanks. Supposedly, he's saying it'll take a couple thousand to get it right. I knew that the suspension needed to be worked on; the shocks needed to be changed. He's also claiming that the paint has blemishes (which it does), and that there transfer case needs work (he says that its making noise when you shift).
Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless something you signed said that the trade in value was subject to a inspection, i dont see how they can get away with that after you already signed.

last i checked, the purchaser didnt have to give a warranty on their trade in.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
I know I'm right, I just want to be sure I get the damn title.

If they signed it and told you when you would be able to pick up the title, it is on them. If they try to **** with you, talk to a lawyer.

You can also have some fun by calling up one of those "On Your Side" TV news things where they go after companies for messing with people. You get your way and put them on blast for being a bunch of ********.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

a lawyers free to talk to bring up the paper work if he says your clear tell him you'll get back to him than go say what ever you want because your right you know your right and there's nothing they can do or say besides give you your title lol. i just said lawyer over state attorney general because i think it's a lot easier to bring the paperwork to a lawyer and have him read it all and tell you whats up. either way they're both good things to do.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id tell them give me back my jeep and shove that z06 up your ***. im betting they take the deal.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

If the deal is signed by both parties then they have to stick to the original deal. I would tell them give me my title and thats it, the Jeep is their problem as you signed it over to them already.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
Good advice; thanks. Supposedly, he's saying it'll take a couple thousand to get it right. I knew that the suspension needed to be worked on; the shocks needed to be changed. He's also claiming that the paint has blemishes (which it does), and that there transfer case needs work (he says that its making noise when you shift).
It's not your place to disclose any issues with the vehicle unless they ask you. If they were too stupid to check out a potential trade vehicle then that's on them.