Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re using piston rings & Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re using piston rings & Bearings?

Hey Everyone.

Ive got a question.

Ive got a 5.3L that i disassembled to take a look at everything inside and ensure everything looked okay.

The engine has 15k miles on it

The rod & main bearings look new, and the rings dont look like they have much wear on them (even the skirt coating is still nearly mint)

Is it okay for me to re-use the main/rod bearings?
Is it okay to re-use the piston rings?

Also, if a cam bearing looks like it has scores/scratches, but the cam spins freely in the bearings, should i still replace the cam bearings (on a different engine)

Sheldon
Old 11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can re-use the bearings if clearances measure out okay, and there is no damage. The cam bearings can take a little bit of abuse, so don't worry too much. I would not re-use the rings though. You need to have a clean-up hone and run new rings, otherwise the rings will not seal properly and you will burn oil.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grimes
You can re-use the bearings if clearances measure out okay, and there is no damage. The cam bearings can take a little bit of abuse, so don't worry too much. I would not re-use the rings though. You need to have a clean-up hone and run new rings, otherwise the rings will not seal properly and you will burn oil.
I did a bottle brush hone on the engine (3 prong Snap-on Hone)

Ill re-use the bearings, but i guess ill be buyin some new rings.

Im thinking i may replace the cam bearings. Or ill post some pictures so you can see the damage to them to help determine if i can re-use them.

Its about $60 for bearings & install, so if my bearings are boarder line i might as well re-do it.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
I did a bottle brush hone on the engine (3 prong Snap-on Hone)

Ill re-use the bearings, but i guess ill be buyin some new rings.

Im thinking i may replace the cam bearings. Or ill post some pictures so you can see the damage to them to help determine if i can re-use them.

Its about $60 for bearings & install, so if my bearings are boarder line i might as well re-do it.
Cool, sounds like you are good to go then. I did a cam swap on a car a while ago, and the front bearing took quite a beating, but the car ran, and still runs fine now. This is with a couple of gouges that could easily catch your fingernail (none "raised" though). 60 bucks is not that bad for install though
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its 7 bucks a bearing for the install (x5 is 40, then $20 for cam bearings)

The bearings look worn, and the score's i can catch a fingernail on also. They dont seem raised, and the cam spins freely in them.

Maybe id be okay if i use some thicker assembly lube on the cam journals for the install?

Im trying to save $ where possible, but not save so much that the motor takes a dump on me the first time i drive it.

Sheldon
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

can you get a pic of the cam bearing using a camera's macro mode? It's probably fine.

Quick Reply: Re using piston rings & Bearings?