Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What oil weight for the tt.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What oil weight for the tt.....

I dont drive the car in winter just spring,summer fall..So is 10/30 still ok or should I go to say 15 /40.. Likely switch to synth at 1000 or so miles .running conventional now for break in.

Also whats normal idle oil pressure at idle. Put in slp pump but used standard pressure spring.How accurate is the stock guage?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i plan to stick with my 5-40 rotella synth next summer.

i have noticed when hot it does run a little less pressure than the 15-40 non synth but as long as the pressure jumps up when i tap the gas i wont be worried.

remember oil pressure is like boost, its a measure of resistance to flow, so if all else is the same and pressure drops, flow has increased.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed the same with trying different oil types. So far my oil pressure at idle when hot is 36psi on 20/50. On 5/30 I was seeing 30psi at idle during the really hot days. Like MM said it does come up when you tap the gas and goes well over 40psi when you get on it good.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i plan to stick with my 5-40 rotella synth next summer.

i have noticed when hot it does run a little less pressure than the 15-40 non synth but as long as the pressure jumps up when i tap the gas i wont be worried.

remember oil pressure is like boost, its a measure of resistance to flow, so if all else is the same and pressure drops, flow has increased.