Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me pick parts for my new motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help me pick parts for my new motor.

Ok so as some of you my remember i blew up 2 pistons a month ago or so. well we had the block sent to a machinist and the block was fine, so my dad is making me rebuild the 346 and wont put in a crate motor.

i do get my choice of rotating assemblies and cam though so that is kinda cool. I wanna go with some big MS4 type cam, im going to give him the cam specs of an MS4 and say i want a cam like this. I know you have to check the tolerances with cams like that so i was wondering if it would be worth it to just get pistons with -2 cc reliefs or if it wont matter ill have to have them checked and cut anyway
Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stroke it out to a 382. You won't be able to put an MS4 in it but there are much better combos to choose from. Are you getting new heads too?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

nope have to keep the 241s...my dad is being a royal dick and wont put any extra money into the car than to put it to stock. if they didnt say, well put any cam in it same price, it wouldnt even be getting a cam.

i tried to have him get me at least ported 243s to go with a big cam, but he nixed that.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id just do a stock rebuild with the cam. I stuck with the 346 for my build and the only reason I went forged was because of the RPM (7500 limiter). If I was keeping it under 7000, I would have stayed stock.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Id just do a stock rebuild with the cam. I stuck with the 346 for my build and the only reason I went forged was because of the RPM (7500 limiter). If I was keeping it under 7000, I would have stayed stock.
alrite well my dads first idea of a rebuild was stock everything, including putting the exhaust manifolds back on and everything.

im only going to be able to go cam only, and the question is will reliefed pistons make it so i dont have to worry about piston/valve clearence issues. i dont know exactly cam specs yet but i know it is going to be big and nasty and on less than a 112 lsa
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I would look to a diff cam. Why go through all the trouble just for those 10 extra horse. Or if its about the idle you can go less lift with a lower LSA and have the same thing. Dont forget about having to upgrade the springs, and maby rockers/pushrods. There is alot of extra things some people dont realize that has to go with adding a cam in.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
alrite well my dads first idea of a rebuild was stock everything, including putting the exhaust manifolds back on and everything.

im only going to be able to go cam only, and the question is will reliefed pistons make it so i dont have to worry about piston/valve clearence issues. i dont know exactly cam specs yet but i know it is going to be big and nasty and on less than a 112 lsa
Check the price difference between getting the stockers fly cut, and an aftermarket piston with valve reliefs. Make your decision based on the price.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Do a good search on different cams before you pick a huge *** cam. It might not be exactly what you are looking for. I have done very well against big cammed cars with my medium sized cam.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, also, with a big cam you'll have to rev higher to get into the usable powerband.

This dictates higher valve spring pressures, hardened pushrods, upgraded rod bolts, etc..

To get the most out of my 232/234 .595/.598, I really should be shifting at 6500. i don't trust the rodbolts in there to do it. So, my redline is set for 6500. Although the engine shop replaced the rod bolts with the rebuild, I prefer the Katech ones and will upgrade to them before I raise my redline to 7000.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

i have driven 3 cars with MS4's in then and just like the way the cam behaves and what it does to the car, so that is my reason for wanting an ms4 like cam.

i need to buy 8 new pistons anyway, which is why the questino of flycut vs. dish came about, because being that my dad took over this whole setup, im not getting the chance to take all the time i want to research /shop around/ etc for pistons/cam/supporting ****.

i do know a few things,
it will be on stock 2002 Ls1 heads, they are not milled ad have stock sized valves. I have read that the larger cams (MS*, Trex and so on) can/do require fly cutting. I do know i will need new springs, pushrods, oil pump and rod bolts.

so i am here asking for someone who knows a little more about the subject than i do, should i wait and see the clearances and risk flycutting, or just get a small dished piston and not lose sleep over it?

also what other supporting mods should i look into, i jsut want to make sure im not missing something
So far:
big springs, hardened pushrods, rod bolts, oil pump

am i forgetting anything else?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
nope have to keep the 241s...my dad is being a royal dick and wont put any extra money into the car than to put it to stock. if they didnt say, well put any cam in it same price, it wouldnt even be getting a cam.

i tried to have him get me at least ported 243s to go with a big cam, but he nixed that.
I wish my dad was a royal dick and give me money for my car. He has this silly idea that i should pay for my own stuff. aint that crazy.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
I wish my dad was a royal dick and give me money for my car. He has this silly idea that i should pay for my own stuff. aint that crazy.
my dads deal is he will rebuild the motor if i dont buy a motorcycle and instead sit on the money in the bank..

im only 19 and live at home, plus with the SS back on the road ill stop driving his vette which is his pride and joy.

im paying for eerything that would cost extra in the motor, he is just writing the big check which is new rotating assembly, replacing valves, cam, and re assembly. i have to pay for springs, pushrods, bolts, all the extra **** that a big cam is going to need.

if u see the old thread explaning when i first had the motor apart, i planned on spending my own money to put a 408 it in, but he didnt want me in a 500+ rwhp car so said he would pay for the motor, freeing up a nice chunk of money for me
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 AM
12 Second Club

does he not realize that with an ms4 and some spray your going to have 500hp. but you are going to need some longtubes for that cam. or its going t ride like **** with factory ones. you also might want to check out the megadeath cam. just a lil smaller than ms4 but you dont have to flycut anything.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

then go with a milder cam and pay the extra in getting better heads. and definatly gonna need LT's
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM
11 Second Club

car already has LTs gutted cats moroso spirals p&p tb and a lid. made 368/363 to the tires before the motor blew.

will smeone answer the stupid flycut vs dish question? i know i want a stupidly big cam... that much i dont care about, i just want to know about the pistons
Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Just get -2cc pistons and the mS4 will work with your stock heads. Here is the package you need from TSP. You will not need to flycut.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49

Also, just call TSP, they can answer all of your questions!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i still say get a smaller cam and a set of heads. youd most likely end up with a better more powerful combo that way.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

i still say get a smaller cam and a set of heads. youd most likely end up with a better more powerful combo that way.
i "cant afford" heads right now. my dad is making me sit on and save the money i have because he took over paying for the new motor. I can eek out enuf for cam support, but thats it. So unless you can sell me good heads for like $500 then i have to overlook them for now, at least until my bday in Feb
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I say stay with the stock piston and flycut if needed. Forged motors do not last as long as the stock stuff. And your setup isn't aggressive enough to justify a forged piston.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

lolz. im with yah.