LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hello new GXP owner here with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello new GXP owner here with a few questions

howdy folks,

I'm new to the board, I was refered over by some folks on a similar site for the GM 6 cylinders.

I have a few questions I couldn't find any search references to so I wanted to just throw them out and see what people have to say.

1. I noticed the exhuast crossover pipe passes dirrectly over the transmission bellhousing..ie the torque converter. Has anyone ever considered additional heat shielding to lower the thermal transfer from hot exhuast pipe dirrectly into the biggest heat generator in the driveline..other than the engine of course?

2. Is transmission heat even a problem? I have been watching my trans temp during my 45 mile daily commute and it will easily reach nearly 170 degrees even when the ambient temparature is in the 60's. Has anyone added an aftermarket suplemental trans cooler with a thermostat controlled electric fan?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

1. Heat shields and wrap have been used... So yeah, you could do it if you wanted to...

2. My temps on the trans have been pretty good, you are better off getting a tuner and adjusting the fan settings to keep the whole drive train cool, then adding an additional trans cooler if you really feel its necessary. But I doubt you will need to.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. yes. some people have ceramic coated it as well.

2. the heat is probably what causes transmission parts to come apart and the chain to stretch, break, etc. more than likely the fluid temp sensor isnt directly by the exhaust to get an actual temperature. gxp is the only one that has this right?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I think the GXP is the only one with the trans temp sensor...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Teching In

yeah a tuner is in the probable future.
after buying the car coughing up the 400 buck for an HP tuner isn't high on the list ..hoever the cost of some muffler wrap could probably be squezed out of my strained budget reasonably quickly.

TY for the info.