Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning timing for boost, msd 6010

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning timing for boost, msd 6010

Engine: 5.3 stock, MPT70, wastegate set at ~7psi

I am in the process of tuning my engine and I am having a hard time figuring out the how to tune my MSD 6010 ignition box for boost. From my understanding under full boost (in my case about 7psi) I should be around 16deg of timing.

So I hook up my 6010 to the laptop and download the timing I have been running when it was NA (pill #2), I can see the rpm adv curve and the map curve. So I say to myself, "jezz this will be a piece of cake, I will just leave the rpm curve basically alone, change to a 2 bar mode so the table reads boost and simply take away more timing as the MAP passes 14psia (making boost)"

Than I realize that the MSD tuning program will not let you take away timing, only add timing with the MAP curve!!!!!!! ex. It won't let you move the line on the top chart below the zero line

Here is a pic of what I am talking about, this is the engine idling with the NA tune

So, I know there are people out there running my combo or very similar, I just need some help figuring out how to setup a safe timing curve for my engine. A printscreen of a working tune would be great.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

you can take away timing its very easy.

on the top map have the timing up at max timing to start then ramp it down as boost comes in.. the map with over ride the rpm map my base lines are in my sig.. pm me your email and i can send yoyu lioke 20 dif maps that i test with to get it started.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

you also need to use a 2 or 3 bar map and set it in the msd to match your map

Quick Reply: Tuning timing for boost, msd 6010