Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 Custom Turbo wanting advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Custom Turbo wanting advice...

just realised there was a section for this, but i did post this in the gen 3 section as well... sorry

hey guys, im from australia, and wanted to get some info off you guys over there where u invest heaps of money and time into your engines / builds etc!

i Curently have a 2005 Ls1

Manley pushrods
918 comps
tit retainers
ls6 manifold
standard Flybywire TB ( i think 78mm )
224/228 custom turbo cam
gt35r turbo
intercooled
custom 4" magnaflow exaust ( off a 3"dump pipe )
42pound injectors
1/2inch fuel lines
twin bosch 044 fuel pumps
and a few other things but cant think off top of head..

runs 500rwhp on 12psi

im wanting to do my bottom end / heads / manifold etc

forged pistons / rods / arp the whole lot etc... my question is...

for best " bang for buck " from guys with the experience whats the best thing to do? rebuild my bottom end and put new heads / manifold / TB ( do i really need to change manifold? or can i port it +add a 90mmLS2 TB )

what heads? aftermarket ? or port my ones ? or get ls2 l92 l76 etc? ported etc for best performance under boost?

better to get a stroker kit, or just rebuild bottom end? what have other guys gotten out of there ls1 turbos etc?

i know its alot of questions... but the guys here really talk crap and just want to make u spend all this money on
**** all!!

interested in winding the boost up on the turbo i have, and later upgrading it to a gt42r or similar.. just wanting to know best stuff to change etc... ( at the moment running 500rwhp, would like upwards of 700 )

Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your setup I'd say keep your stock intake & throttle body, ported stock heads or ported 317's, stock crank, forged pistons, rods, ARP head studs and MLS gaskets.
Can keep it reasonably cheap.

Maybe add another one of those turbos too, lol
Aren't you already pretty close to maxing the one GT35 out?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
For your setup I'd say keep your stock intake & throttle body, ported stock heads or ported 317's, stock crank, forged pistons, rods, ARP head studs and MLS gaskets.
Can keep it reasonably cheap.

Maybe add another one of those turbos too, lol
Aren't you already pretty close to maxing the one GT35 out?
ah good answer! yes i am close to max on the gt35, thats why i was thinking of going to a gt42 etc... or a turbo someone would like to give me some info on!

and the work to the motor to work with that setup... my fuel system / exaust / clutch / diff ratios etc were set for a bigger turbo setup in the future, but now from listening to all these people over here im way to confused!! hence why i asked!

so say i goto a bigger turbo ( gt42 or? ) what would i need to do then etc?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

The motor I posted above should take you to ~800 or so rwhp without too much trouble if the rest of the combo is there. You should get a custom cam spec'ed to your combo, talk to Forced Inductions or someone about what turbo is right for you. I don't know what octane fuel you can get at the regular pumps down under, a meth kit might be a good idea if it's the same stuff we get here.
The only reason to go with more cubes would be for better off boost torque & faster spool. You can make the power you're looking for with a 347.
Many people have made 1000 rwhp with the stock crank.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

The motor I posted above should take you to ~800 or so rwhp without too much trouble if the rest of the combo is there. You should get a custom cam spec'ed to your combo, talk to Forced Inductions or someone about what turbo is right for you. I don't know what octane fuel you can get at the regular pumps down under, a meth kit might be a good idea if it's the same stuff we get here.
The only reason to go with more cubes would be for better off boost torque & faster spool. You can make the power you're looking for with a 347.
Many people have made 1000 rwhp with the stock crank.
ah see thats what i thought... that u didnt need to stroke it... cool
we get 98%octane here ( bp ultimate ) im sure u get the same **** there
does forced inductions have a website / email etc?

thanks man
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

www.forcedinductions.com I have no personal experience with them, but a lot of guys have had great luck with them and swear by there stuff.

No, we don't get 98 here, we get 93 for the most part. I think your 98 is actually the same as our 93 though (different system, ours is R+M/2 method).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

www.forcedinductions.com I have no personal experience with them, but a lot of guys have had great luck with them and swear by there stuff.

No, we don't get 98 here, we get 93 for the most part. I think your 98 is actually the same as our 93 though (different system, ours is R+M/2 method).
yeah im sure its the same ****!!

i just emailed them so i will see what they say... but thanks for the advice! so its not worth porting the manifold / bigger TB ? not money well spent?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

I don't think so. You're not getting very much power for your money with a FAST intake. If you really wanted to spend some more money you could get some aftermarket heads with a thicker deck. You should be able to lean on it a little harder before pushing water with them. But, if you the tune is in check and you start out with the right compression that shouldn't be too much of a problem @ 700 hp. Pushing water seems to come up more when getting up towards 850-900hp. Either way if the tune is off you'll have problems. I'd see what your builder says, but I'd aim for 9.0-9.5 for the compression. Don't want to get too low or the bottom end will get soggy.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Teching In

makes sense... what kind of heads should i be looking for but? thats whats stuffing me up...

head size? and also turbo size to the engine setup / do i have to change the manifold / wastegate etc...

its interesting learning about it all, but confusing too
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

AFR 225's are pretty much the standard for FI heads. There are others that might make a little more power, but the bang for the buck is already stretched pretty thin and most of the other aftermarket heads are more expensive. For a 700-800 hp build, aftermarket heads would be more to help sealing than for squeezing every last hp out of it for me.
No idea on the WG, FI.com is going to be a lot better suited to answer those questions than I am anyway. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

AFR 225's are pretty much the standard for FI heads. There are others that might make a little more power, but the bang for the buck is already stretched pretty thin and most of the other aftermarket heads are more expensive. For a 700-800 hp build, aftermarket heads would be more to help sealing than for squeezing every last hp out of it for me.
No idea on the WG, FI.com is going to be a lot better suited to answer those questions than I am anyway. Good luck.
thanks mate. i will look into it a bit more and post the results
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Teching In

ok done a bit of research tday, looking at changing the turbo to a GTK1000 turbonetics turbo.... anyone running one of these on a worked ls1?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

who's doing your work?

i take it that you are using an ASE turbo kit?

upgrade the turbo (call ASE), go o a larger dump pipe, and get a custom turbo cam specced out and fitted.

Girch/HardcoreLs1 have run 9.3@~150mph with a stock LS1 but fitted with forged pistons and rods, that is stock cam, stock heads, stock manifold etc etc all in a VX SS.

All these heads/manifolds/TBs etc will give you a little power for a lot of $$$s, but not as much as a properly chosen turbo matched to a forged bottom end
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PowerTalk
who's doing your work?

i take it that you are using an ASE turbo kit?

upgrade the turbo (call ASE), go o a larger dump pipe, and get a custom turbo cam specced out and fitted.

Girch/HardcoreLs1 have run 9.3@~150mph with a stock LS1 but fitted with forged pistons and rods, that is stock cam, stock heads, stock manifold etc etc all in a VX SS.

All these heads/manifolds/TBs etc will give you a little power for a lot of $$$s, but not as much as a properly chosen turbo matched to a forged bottom end
nah i dont have a ASE kit, its a kit i bought from somewhere else.. then modified it to my own specs!

unsure who is going to do the work, i will do most by myself, hence why im looking for advice! who did the work for the vx ss? id like to speak to them?
i was sure that i could get a bigger turbo and not have to change heads etc... but just needed to hear it from people ( i had my car tuned in WA )
Old 11-04-2008, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

so f1 performance manifold eh?

If you are on LS1.com.au, PM SS346. He has ALL the answers
Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Teching In

nah i cant join that forum with my email account sucks!!

they dont let u join with a hotmail account...

does he have a email addy i can msg by any chance?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Phone number on the side of the car

They are based in Wollongong
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Teching In

can anyone help me out with what turbo / head / cam combo is best suited for a forged ls1?

Last edited by ohplz; 11-06-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 Custom Turbo wanting advice...