LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trading my 4L60E for someones T56, what ALL do we have to give each other? !!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trading my 4L60E for someones T56, what ALL do we have to give each other? !!!HELP!!!

I have a 1997 Z28 with a 4L60E and I'm trading straight across my 4L60E for a T56 out of a 1996 Z28. has anyone ever done a full trade over? what ALL do we have to give each other? what all does he need from my car and what all do i need from his car? we'd like to get all of this done in 1 shot because he lives in colorado (i think) an i live in Utah. i've done a little research but all i can find is bits an pieces. or just bits an pieces that he'll need to send me, nothin about what i'll need to send him? PLEASE HELP!
THANKS!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I did the auto to man conversion a while back. From what I remember off hand, he'll need your flexplate, torque converter, computer tune for the auto (swap PCM's?) and the entire center console from the shifter on down. Also swap pedals. The wiring will definitely be a PITA for this ordeal. Sorry if I forgot anything.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I did the auto to man conversion a while back. From what I remember off hand, he'll need your flexplate, torque converter, computer tune for the auto (swap PCM's?) and the entire center console from the shifter on down. Also swap pedals. The wiring will definitely be a PITA for this ordeal. Sorry if I forgot anything.
thanks. as far as i've heard its alot more complicated then that? i've heard we have to trade our whole wiring harness? an don't have to trade pcm's just have to get new tunes (pcm forless?). don't we have to trade master cylinders an all that stuff?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Don't forget about the torque arm mounts and cross members. That was what we forgot to get when swapping my a4->m6 and caused some delay.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Launching!

I did this with a guy about 4 yrs. ago. It is easy for your end but make sure you give him the piece of floor pan you cut out so he can tack weld it in place so it will hold the shifter assem. Also, he an/or you will have to un pin every wire from the pcm and from the shifter and mark down were every wire goes, get a wiring scematic for each, it helped us a ton. He will need every connection to the shifter perfect, or it will not work amd every wire must be correct from the pcm. The guy I did it with was a mercedes electic and wiring tech so it helped him out a lot. All I got to say to him is good luck, for you it is easy. Also, serch on camaroz28.com for the post where there is a website with all direction for auto to man. setup to help you.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by insanez
I did this with a guy about 4 yrs. ago. It is easy for your end but make sure you give him the piece of floor pan you cut out so he can tack weld it in place so it will hold the shifter assem. Also, he an/or you will have to un pin every wire from the pcm and from the shifter and mark down were every wire goes, get a wiring scematic for each, it helped us a ton. He will need every connection to the shifter perfect, or it will not work amd every wire must be correct from the pcm. The guy I did it with was a mercedes electic and wiring tech so it helped him out a lot. All I got to say to him is good luck, for you it is easy. Also, serch on camaroz28.com for the post where there is a website with all direction for auto to man. setup to help you.
thank you! i didn't think about that stuff.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniversaryz
Don't forget about the torque arm mounts and cross members. That was what we forgot to get when swapping my a4->m6 and caused some delay.
so do we have to trade out whole torque arms or just mounts?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

For you, all you will need is a re-tune to adjust everything for the Standard. He is going to need everything tuned and adjusted for the Auto.

Here is a good list for you that you will need to swap out, I just did the T56 Swap in my Car..

Petals & Center Console Covers(since you both are 96 and up, they are a direct swap out.)
4L60E with Floor Shifter/T56 with Bellhousing & Hydraulics
Flexplate/Flywheel
Convertor/Clutch & Pressure Plate
Crossmembers & Torque Arm Mounts
You will need the T56 Specific Wiring Connectors(Reverse Lockout and Reverse Lights, don't waste the time with CAGS)
He will need the Connector that plugs into the 4L60E, so when you clip it, give him enough to work with.
The Speed Sensor Connectors are the same, do not clip them.

For you the wiring will be easy, for him it will be a nightmare. If you both want to correctly wire the Harness, you will go through some work.

I would suggest breaking down both Harnesses, for the Connecters that you will need, I would tell him to seperate that connector and trace it all the way to the PCM Connectors, label each wire the Pin and which Color Connector it was on, and pull them out, that way the wires are properly labeled, and you know where to put them.
Then you do the same with the 4L60E Connector, that way he knows where to put them, and his Transmission will be properly wired to function.
He will also have to wire in the Brake Switch so he can safely select his Gear with the Brake on, and he will also have to wire in the Convertor Un-lock switch on the Brake Petal, as well as run the Reverse Light wire to the Auto Shifter. You will have to run yours to the Harness to go to the Transmisison.

If you want the easiest way to do it, I would do it the way I was talking about, it will be the most direct, and work with the Computer. It will be some work though.

Going to a Standard is easy, goin to an Electronic Auto is a pain in the ***..

Here is the swap I just did, you will see the wiring mess..

My T56 Conversion..

Last edited by the_merv; 11-05-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
For you, all you will need is a re-tune to adjust everything for the Standard. He is going to need everything tuned and adjusted for the Auto.

Here is a good list for you that you will need to swap out, I just did the T56 Swap in my Car..

Petals & Center Console Covers(since you both are 96 and up, they are a direct swap out.)
Flexplate/Flywheel
You will need the T56 Specific Wiring Connectors(Reverse Lockout and Reverse Lights, don't waste the time with CAGS)
He will need the Connector that plugs into the 4L60E, so when you clip it, give him enough to work with.

For you the wiring will be easy, for him it will be a nightmare. If you both want to correctly wire the Harness, you will go through some work.

I would suggest breaking down both Harnesses, for the Connecters that you will need, I would tell him to seperate that connector and trace it all the way to the PCM Connectors, label each wire the Pin and which Color Connector it was on, and pull them out, that way the wires are properly labeled, and you know where to put them.
Then you do the same with the 4L60E Connector, that way he knows where to put them, and his Transmission will be properly wired to function.
He will also have to wire in the Brake Switch so he can safely select his Gear with the Brake on, and he will also have to wire in the Convertor Un-lock switch on the Brake Petal, as well as run the Reverse Light wire to the Auto Shifter. You will have to run yours to the Harness to go to the Transmisison.

If you want the easiest way to do it, I would do it the way I was talking about, it will be the most direct, and work with the Computer. It will be some work though.

My T56 Conversion..
that sums it up for the most part
Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Flexplate/Flywheel

My T56 Conversion..
thank you very much!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Actually, what would be even easier, like you mentioned in that PM, is just swap Harnesses as long as you guys are pretty much the same with the Wiring, like you haven't removed any of the Essential stuff.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

yes thank you! i haven't changed anything wiring wise so if he hasn't that'll be great.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

I didn't think of that cause I'm used to using a Harness that has only is one of a kind..lol
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I didn't think of that cause I'm used to using a Harness that has only is one of a kind..lol
lol ya that must suck at times for sure!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

^^Not really..it's more time consuming than anything, but I know every wire in mine..lol
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Launching!

right on man

Quick Reply: Trading my 4L60E for someones T56, what ALL do we have to give each other? !!!HELP!!!