Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 turbo TB/Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 turbo TB/Intake

Ok i have heard a lot of different things as far as aftermarket manifolds and TB's go on mild boost applications that leave room to grow in the future. When i was planing to stay all motor i had planed on running a FAST intake with 90mm TB. But now i am unsure if it would be the best for the turbo application.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go quite a ways with a FAST intake, especially with the 90mm TB. 78mm is just about 3", so you can go pretty damn big, even on a stock TB!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So for a mild application would it be better to run the 78 and then upgrade to the 90 as needed in the future. And would there be any disadvantage to running the 90 now.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

fI can compensate to an extent for a restrictive intake. Many guys run the ls6. I had a fast from my na build and there is zero reason not to use it up to 20psi or so maybe higher. Some say they leak at higher boost but have seen them on several fairly high boost cars..And its pretty rare to need to go past 20psi anyway since we are talking bit v8s here not little 4 bangers like my talons.Its common on serious talons to run 30,35 sometimes 40psi.
If you go to afr site there is a couple of 1000 hp turbo builds you can read about.
with fast intakes. APS demo eingine the forged 346 ran a fast 90/90 combo up to around 20psi.

The main reasons I like it is going to direct port nitrous and the fast is made for that.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well at least i know i am not the only odd ball here. I have owned two talons both TSI's and one eclipse 420a with a gready t3/t4 kit. Any way back on topic. Right now with mild boost on hand and maybe only a little more in the future would it be smart to stick with the 78 for now and upgrade to the 90 if the demand is there.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock ls6 intake and TB have already been proven to 1000hp by mightymouse, even harlan ran that intake on his old firehawk with the twins. i dont see any reason you couldnt run that and save some coin
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

While you can make maybe the same total power with more boost on maybe a not as good flowing intake or a not as good flowing set of heads or a not as good cam still would think it will take more boost or bigger turbo to do it. Some of us think running less boost and making the same power is maybe sometimes a good thing. You don't risk
blowing out head gaskets at the lower boost for one thing.

I guess its just like engines and fi. I could run a 346 but my 408 gives me much better torque and power off boost and bigger engines spool up the turbos quicker. Yet lots of guys argue the smaller engine on boost is just as good or even superior. Just adding FI while it compensates for so so heads,cam ,intake and to an extent displacement still its proven that if you start with more power you will make more power in the end.
A 500hp engine gets to 750 easier than a 300 hp engine and should need less boost to get there.

I see nothing wrong with the fast intakes. You can get them pretty cheaply used now as some guys jump up to the new 92. A 90 /90 combo is not going to be a restriction thats for sure .You might give up a bit down low in the powerband but make it up higher up the powerband.

That new street warrior intake might be nice too.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
While you can make maybe the same total power with more boost on maybe a not as good flowing intake or a not as good flowing set of heads or a not as good cam still would think it will take more boost or bigger turbo to do it. Some of us think running less boost and making the same power is maybe sometimes a good thing. You don't risk
blowing out head gaskets at the lower boost for one thing.

I guess its just like engines and fi. I could run a 346 but my 408 gives me much better torque and power off boost and bigger engines spool up the turbos quicker. Yet lots of guys argue the smaller engine on boost is just as good or even superior. Just adding FI while it compensates for so so heads,cam ,intake and to an extent displacement still its proven that if you start with more power you will make more power in the end.
A 500hp engine gets to 750 easier than a 300 hp engine and should need less boost to get there.

I see nothing wrong with the fast intakes. You can get them pretty cheaply used now as some guys jump up to the new 92. A 90 /90 combo is not going to be a restriction thats for sure .You might give up a bit down low in the powerband but make it up higher up the powerband.

That new street warrior intake might be nice too
and pricey, but definitely nice
Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is what is throwing me off. I see the FAST putting up some good numbers on stock and mildly bolted NA engines. But only putting up single digit numbers on forced induction set ups.

Reaching good numbers is not my only goal but for around 1K its an good bit of change that i want to spend in the right area.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

It's going to be that way until you get a turbo that has needs to blow through a bigger hole than 3", which is what the stock 78mm TB really is, then it'll start blowing through a straw and causing a restriction.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

You can get where you want with an LS6 intake, I plan to run one with twin turbos at that same power level. If you could score a FAST with the TB for "cheap", do it, if you're paying a grand, you may want to invest your money elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ls6/stock tb wont be holding the street kit back, spend money elsewhere