LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

b&m shifter help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default b&m shifter help

im trying to figure out where this cable goes im installing a b&m shifter on my camaro i have a automatic transmission the shifter cable is hooked up but there is one more cable and i have no idea where it goes on the b&m shifter

came out of this hole on the stock shifter marked with white arrow
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is the only spot it could go but the cable is to big
came with this white cable also i dont know where that goes either
Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

top pic is the stock cable end still hooked to the trans I take it. Well that has to go, you should have several different looking brackets that will mount to the trans on a few pan bolts. As for the actual morse style shift cable you need to actuate the trans I don't see it in your pics I don't know what that tiny white cable you have goes to but not the trans.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i installed the shifter cable thats all it came with
do you have any pics you can send me of what your talking about or a part number i bought it used so i take it he forgot to give me those parts
Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wtf okokart what the hell are you talking about find the right thread
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

i belive the first cable is the shift interlock cable from the steering colum? and the second cable i'm not sure of? could you post a pic of the whole cable? so we can see the other end of it?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was told that the cable i have posted in the picture is the cable that allows the car to go out of park when i hit the brake ?? and the little white one is for the gear indicator
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

T.t.t
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also how do i wire up my factory wires to the b&m shifter the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights ??

Last edited by baylove; 11-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by baylove
i was told that the cable i have posted in the picture is the cable that allows the car to go out of park when i hit the brake ?? and the little white one is for the gear indicator
i do belive that is correct.

Originally Posted by baylove
also how do i wire up my factory wires to the b&m shifter the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights ??
if i'm not mistaken the safty switch and reverse lights are controlled through the trans not the shifter.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

That little cable in the pic you don't need to hook up to anything. The only cable you need is the one that came with the B&M shifter. Be sure to read the supplied instructions that came with the shifter you might have to adjust a few of the rings/pins for the transmission you have 3spd/4spd. I'm pretty sure the shifters are suppose to come setup for a 3spd transmission but need to make sure or you can damage the shifter or the transmission.

A4 cars, connect these wires together.
purple + dark green = neutral safety switch, must be done to start the vehicle.

orange w/black stripe + black wire = hatch release to work.

If you use the OEM park/neutral safety wires (connect together the purple and dark green) and the reverse wires (connect together brown and light green), the computer will know the trans is in a drive gear.

The brown and light green wires should NOT be wired directly together. Doing so will cause your reverse lights to stay on at all times. You can run them through a momentray switch or just leave them apart.

M6 cars.
For M6 cars you splice into the lower clutch sensor wires. There is a plug that goes into the sensor at the bottom of the clutch pedal.
The wires are black with a white wire. You can simply splice into those two wires and run them to your new Park/Neutral switch on you shifter. Or just wire them together.

My step-by-step install instructions are at this link. However all of my information was for 98+f-body and some of install will be different for older style f-body.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/935270-b-m-pro-ratchet-install-help.html