Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt woes, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 10 bolt woes, part 2

Haven't had a chance to do anything with my car since I started having more issues with my 10 bolt, but after talking with a buddy of mine who had a different angle on what the problem might be, I have some questions. I initially thought it might be a ring and pinion based on what a few people told me it probably was, but after thinking a bit with my buddy, he thinks it could just be bearings and here's why. The car had some whirring from the rear on decel only in gear right after I got the car. Didn't think much of it, figured it was just a bit of gear noise and I'd deal with it later. Kinda a busy guy, never got around to messing with it. Whirring started on decel even when OUT of gear, and then the last day I drove it I was getting some 'jerking' almost feelings coming out of the rear, but only at really low speed like when I was pulling up to a stop sign. The whir is way worse now, and there were a few other ugly sounds from the rear. I've tried finding the cheap rear end locally route and just swapping, but 300+ is the cheapest I've found for a 100k mile rear end, and some lower miled ones for 400, but at this point I may be selling the car for something more practical after I fix it, just need to fix it to get me around till I make a decision since my wife's now working and having to bum rides to work the days she works is getting old. Any input would be great.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull it apart and find out what it is.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

I have rebuilt several 10 bolts in the past 3 years. Now im DONE with them. looking to buy a 9" now. goodluck with the troubles but, take my word, DONT waste your money on the 10 bolt
Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I could afford a 12 bolt or 9 inch I would, but since I'm more than likely getting rid of it in a few months I need it to just be able to get from point a to point b, and it'd be senseless to drop that much money on the rear. Car doesn't get driven hard anyways, it's more of a DD than anything, I think I've run it WOT like twice since I've owned it heh...
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

sounds like some crapped out bearings to me hah... i had one blow up in my dd saturn (T/A stays in the driveway most of the time lol) it made the WORST noise ever
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey tightin the yoke, that bolt on mine was going loose causing my car to do that same jerking...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured bearings might be part of the issue, i'll check the yoke as well tonight and see if that's part of the jerking. I'm not differentially inclined so I may have some people help me, but I'll go with these suggestions and see where I land, thanks a ton guys. Anymore information that someone might have would be great.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you ever test anything out on it??
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nah had some fam issues come up and spending more time at work than I really want to, haven't been able to even bother with it. This weekend definitely.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got under the car for about 2 minutes, jack is shot now so I barely fit under the car. Not enough room to pop the rear end cover off or get further to check anything else. Gonna check a few places locally to see if I can just get an estimate and have someone do it. I work weird hours and don't have time or the tools atm to fix anything. =/
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buddy and I pulled the cover off, everything looks good inside, but where the DS connects to the rear end, on the rear end side, yoke bearing maybe? it moves in and out and side to side. Any ideas? Anything we can fix or should I take it somewhere?

Pardon my noobness, I have no idea what this is, I circled it in this picture. This is moving back and forth in and out. My buddy and I checked it on his truck and it certainly doesn't do that. Something we can do?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update: Checked the thing that attaches to the pinion bearing via a big washer and a nut, ****** nut fell off, wasn't even finger tight. Soon as my buddy and I warm up a bit we're gonna tighten it back down and see where that gets us. Someone did some shoddy work on this thing in the past >=(
Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pinion nut has to be torqued to spec. Simply tighting it will be a quick fix but cause greater problems down the road... literaly, dam, down the road, get it, ha, that actualy... nevermind. Anyway, there is a crush collar in between the inner and outter bearing. That has to have a certian load on it, if you crush it too much you will destroy the bearings, not enough and it will come loose like it did. Chances are there is quite a bit of damage already in the inner & outter bearings anyway. If your going to sell it and want to be shady, leave it. If you want to fix it you can do so with out any special tools.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm going to fix it. It's getting dark quit and it's my DD(4 miles round trip to work), so it's a bandaid for the moment just till I can get everything together to fix it right.