LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

People using the LPP headers in here please, got questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People using the LPP headers in here please, got questions

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about these headers by now but I need opinions and experience with them.

Ok so I have a 1994 Trans Am with the factory oil cooler but no emissions. Most everything is listed in my sig. Anyway I'm wanting to upgrade to these headers from my Mac mids basically because for the price you can't beat it! But here are a few concerns I had:

1.I'm lowered on the Prokit so how is ground clearance? My Mac Y-pipe never scrapes on me unless its a huge speed bump which is basically only in the Walmart parking lot here. I could always buy the BMR 1/2" spacer or the front BMR springs and raise it up a little.

2.What modifications need to be done to make these fit? Obviously all cars will be different and some may need something when the next car won't but is there anything thats absolutely necessary to make these fit?

3.How is plug access? With my Macs I can knock the plugs out in about 20-30 minutes! Wires are good since they are OTVC so no worries about them burning.

4.Will the exhaust note change from Mids to Longtubes? I imagine it will but figured I'd ask.

5.Will the stock oil filter fit and how is the access to it?

6.And just anything else I should know about these headers before I pull the trigger and decide to buy them. I'll be buying new O2's, header bolts, and gaskets when I do the install too!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. itll be close. im not lowered and have about 4-5"
2. i had to grind the k member and move the steering column
3. eh theyre a little tight but still able to get to
4. i would assume so. i went from shorties to these and there was a huge difference.
5. yes it will. havent changed the oil yet or looked to see how access is to it lol
6. take your time and save 2-3 days for the install haha
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering these are Kooks replicas, I suspect you would have to remove your factory oil cooler, and use a filter similar to the AC/Delco PF-454. I think that's the right number. I have Kooks on my car, and had to remove the oil cooler and run a short filter. I've had my car for so long, I can't remember if the stock filter was a shorty.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know for sure about the oil cooler?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/862878-lpp-polished-stainless-lt1-headers-y.html

lot of info in that thread.... some of it is dicussed more than once because people are lazy and won't read the info that's already here. That should at least answer some of your questions.

EDIT: some pics and more info here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/975267-lpp-headers-installed-pics.html
Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Start at page 33 and work your way up. All these questions were answered.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862878

lot of info in that thread.... some of it is dicussed more than once because people are lazy and won't read the info that's already here. That should at least answer some of your questions.

EDIT: some pics and more info here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975267
Stole my thunder.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

LOL yea I saw that thread and I'll admit I was lazy and didn't want to read it. I read like 10 pages and gave up and started from the last page but by then everyone was saying how great they were already.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Launching!

just changed oil yesterday, yes the stock shorty filter fits, and it's easy to get the new one in, but to get the old one out, you will get oil on the headers and all over your hand and arm. If you don't mind getting messy, then it's not a big deal.

Quick Reply: People using the LPP headers in here please, got questions