Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom LS1 Edit tunes into Diablosport Predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 945 Likes on 674 Posts

Default Custom LS1 Edit tunes into Diablosport Predator

I have my car tuned with an LS1 Edit program from my Laptop computer. It is a custom tune for a "built" motor (H&C, Large displacement, etc.). I would like to load this "Edit" tune into my handheld Predator. The Predator currently has the factory (G.M.) "stock" tune loaded into it, along with the factory "high performance" tune that comes from Diablosport. This slightly altered "High Performance" tune from Diablosport will NOT work at all on my combo- in fact, the motor will NOT RUN on this tune-PERIOD. Is it possible to load my custom "Edit" tune into the Predator, and replace the "Hi-Perf" tune currently in it from Diablosport? How do you delete the "Hi-Perf" tune and then upload the "Edit" tune? Or, can you simply just "overwrite" the tune that comes from Diablosport with a custom one like this? Or, would this action "PIGGYBACK" the 2 tunes, which could be disasterous!! I have the remote power supply and cable to connect the Laptop LS1 Edit with the Predator. Are there any dangers-concerns, etc., that I should watch for? Does anyone know the EXACT procedure? Please advise. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you trying to change via the Predator?

Just to make sure we're at the same starting point, your PCM currently contains a tune you made and flashed via LS1 Edit?

Have you installed any tune from the Predator or taken a backup of your PCM with the Predator?

You cannot remove the default tunes from the Predator, but you can store custom tunes in the tool in addition to the Diablo tunes.

What revision is the firmware on the Predator?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way.....

1. Make sure stock tune is unloaded on Predator and that the unit is unlocked.

2. Flash the "Head/Cam/Cubes" tune onto you car, or if it's already there, then you're good to go (assuming #1 above)

3. Connect the unlocked Predator, it will download the current tune loaded on the PCM ("Heads/Cam/Cubes"). Now it's in the predator.

4. Only modify the current tune. Do not try to load one of the custom tunes on. You're done.

As to loading custom tunes onto the predator, I believe you would have to go to a CMR dealer to do that.

But I have to ask the question, why F' with the predator when you have a full tuning suite.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that "factory HP tune" is not a high performance tune haha...

it's the factory horsepower tune... all it is is a copy of your original stock tune, so you can make adjustments to your stock tune instead of using a diablo tune...

factory hp (horsepower) tune and your original backup are the same exact tunes.

and no, you can not overwrite or replace the diablo tunes that are in it.

you're stuck anyway, cuz you said your original backup is stored in the predator, so...

#1 - the predator is still locked to your vehicle and can't be used on anything else.

#2 - you can't restore your original backup to your car to unlock it, cuz you will wipe out your ls1edit custom tune that is in your car now.

#3 - you should have restored your original backup to your car BEFORE getting the ls1edit custom tune, then you could have used the predator - cuz it would have saved that ls1edit custom tune as the "original backup" and you could have made edits to it.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk

Just to make sure we're at the same starting point, your PCM currently contains a tune you made and flashed via LS1 Edit?

Have you installed any tune from the Predator or taken a backup of your PCM with the Predator?

You cannot remove the default tunes from the Predator, but you can store custom tunes in the tool in addition to the Diablo tunes.

Thanks for your input. Yes, the PCM has been flashed with an LS1 Edit tune. I am trying to see how you go about loading a different custom tune into the Predator. The Predator currently has the stock G.M. LS1 tune in it that was loaded when new from my stock PCM, in Diablospeak- the Predator is "married" to my PCM's V.I.N#. So, yes, I have a backup, stock tune in the Predator, but it is the original G.M. tune. I also have a custom tune in the tool which replaced the Diablosport factory "performance" tune that came from Diablosport when I bought the tool new. The tune that Diablosport installed into the tool for me is an LS1 Edit custom tune. Diablosport did this for me back in 2004, so I know it can be done. But, since THEY did it, not me, I don't know how to go about it. And the custom tune they installed for me won't come close to working with the engine now in the car. I guess what I am looking for here is, to paraphrase you, is to "store custom tunes in the tool...". How is this done? I am not sure what revision the firmware is, but if you are inquiring about its date of manufacture, it was bought new in the fall of 2003, if this helps. Thanks, again.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
that "factory HP tune" is not a high performance tune haha...

it's the factory horsepower tune... all it is is a copy of your original stock tune, so you can make adjustments to your stock tune instead of using a diablo tune...

factory hp (horsepower) tune and your original backup are the same exact tunes.

and no, you can not overwrite or replace the diablo tunes that are in it.

you're stuck anyway, cuz you said your original backup is stored in the predator, so...

#1 - the predator is still locked to your vehicle and can't be used on anything else.

#2 - you can't restore your original backup to your car to unlock it, cuz you will wipe out your ls1edit custom tune that is in your car now.

#3 - you should have restored your original backup to your car BEFORE getting the ls1edit custom tune, then you could have used the predator - cuz it would have saved that ls1edit custom tune as the "original backup" and you could have made edits to it.
Thanks, but I am NOT stuck, as I still have the same PCM and car-only the motor has been changed (To protect the innocent..!!). Anyway, I have 2 PCMS to choose from, as each has the same V.I.N., so the tool will work on either PCM. I am only looking for someone knowledgeable enough to help me out-not for criticism on what woulda-shoulda-coulda-been. Thanks, anyhow.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Easiest way.....

1. Make sure stock tune is unloaded on Predator and that the unit is unlocked.

2. Flash the "Head/Cam/Cubes" tune onto you car, or if it's already there, then you're good to go (assuming #1 above)

3. Connect the unlocked Predator, it will download the current tune loaded on the PCM ("Heads/Cam/Cubes"). Now it's in the predator.

4. Only modify the current tune. Do not try to load one of the custom tunes on. You're done.

As to loading custom tunes onto the predator, I believe you would have to go to a CMR dealer to do that.

But I have to ask the question, why F' with the predator when you have a full tuning suite.
Thank you-you have re-assured me that what I was thinking would work-i.e.-that the tool would not "know" which tune it was downloading, be it the stock G.M. tune, or a 1,500 H.P. twin turbo tune!! That said, the reason I am going this route is this: Though I have an LS1 Edit "suite", someone else did the keyboard punching on it-the actual tune. I am not familiar enough with how to do it correctly (Spell confidence challenged!!) and not damage an expensive motor! So now that the tune is there, I would like to make the smaller range of adjustments the Predator offers, so as to NOT get into too much trouble!! Thank you, again.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk

To clarify a bit, yes, the Predator has a tune in it that was made and flashed by Edit. BUT- it was done at Diablosports facilities in Florida, I believe. AND... this tune is an "old" Edit tune that will no longer work with my current, different, engine combo. The Predator also contains the backed up stock G.M. tune. The PCM for the car has the latest Edit tune that DOES work with my current engine combo. No tune has been installed FROM the Predator, as it currently is loaded with the "obsolete" Edit tune, and the backed up stock factory tune, and neither of these tunes (in the Predator) will work with my current engine combo. Which is why I want to load the NEW Edit tune (Which is in the cars PCM)into the Predator, because it DOES work with my current engine combo, and I can then make small changes in the tune via the Predator. I am still unsure of the firmware version, but as I said previously, the Predator is about 5 years old. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow.....lot of reading...

Restore the stock tune that is in the Predator to whichever PCM does not have your custom Edit tune flashed to it.
This will unlock the PCM.
Then plug the Pred in and let it read the Edit tune from the tuned PCM and it will save this as the 'original backup'.
You can then modify this tune to your liking using the 'modify stock or factory HP tune' in the Predator. As was mentioned, dont load the Diablo tune, although you'll always be able to go back to the tune as it was saved from the PCM by restoring the original backup.

Also, we have a $99 upgrade available that will allow you to load up to 5 tunes to that Predator, and make it able to datalog...

Thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: Custom LS1 Edit tunes into Diablosport Predator