Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on proper setup (rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on proper setup (rebuild)

I spun a rod bearing on my stock 1998 85K ls1 A4 and now I'm in the process of rebuilding. My engine shop will be building the shortblock, however I want to confirm his info. with others. He says the pistons and all but one rod can be reused this is the build list.

Stock crank (polished)
rings
bearings
ARP bolts
High volume oil pump
timing chain
comp cam
comp kit (springs, rockers, pushrods, lifters)
port,polish and valve job on stock 806 casting heads

Along with this I have

flp headers
stall converter
shift kit
trans. cooler
fast intake tb

I was just wondering if I should be spending the money on the comp kit with the lifters and rockers....will this be necessary? Will these parts work together and have a nice setup? I'm also wondering about having the heads done, my mechanic has a flow bench and said that he can take them to different levels ranging from $400-$1000 would this be good on the 806's? I'm ready to get my motor in but want to make sure I get good parts and at the same time not break the bank. not sure what cam I'm going with but the car isn't a daily driver and I would like it to be as fast as possible when racing. My mechanic also says that he can have my computer tuned from Comp If i have their setup with the fast intake....any advice would be great!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone please!! going to the engine builder today
Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going to throw this out there, but you can find a complete take-out engine (from oil pan to intake manifold) from a LQ9 Escalade or Silverado SS for about $1k. This will bolt in just like the other, but will need computer tuning. You will be able to go much further with a 6.0 block than you would a rebuid LS1. Just a way to maximize your $!

Throw a cam in an LQ9 and put your headers/intake on it and watch what happens!