Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What Pistons Should I get??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Pistons Should I get??

This winter I am going to put rods and pistons the my motor. Its a C6 with a procharger on it. The stock short block isn't going to take much more. I already has 6.100 CompStar rods. I want to put Wisecos in it for sure. I don't want a low CR. I would like to stay in the 11.to 11.5 range. Can this be done with a off the shelf piston or will I have to have a custom set made?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Launching!

you have a supercharger and you want a high CR is this a joke? y would you want to do that
Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tollway bandit 1
This winter I am going to put rods and pistons the my motor. Its a C6 with a procharger on it. The stock short block isn't going to take much more. I already has 6.100 CompStar rods. I want to put Wisecos in it for sure. I don't want a low CR. I would like to stay in the 11.to 11.5 range. Can this be done with a off the shelf piston or will I have to have a custom set made?
Certainly, what we have done often, use a 1.304" compression height wiseco piston and deck the block .020" in conjunction with a .030" or .040" head gasket. We've built plenty of boost motors this way.

With a flat top piston (wiseco) you would maintain the 11:1 compression

let me know if you have any questions
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd sell the 6.100" rods and get some 6.125" to make this easier on yourself. Wiseco doesn't have a great assortment of pistons for use with stock stroke and 6.100" rods. Most all of them will need you to deck the block a ton as Fraser stated (who wants to deck the block .020" anyway?).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

I would think it would be good to have the piston pin lower in a FI motor, so the ring lans can be thicker? Thats why I have the 6.100 rods.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dark Shadow
you have a supercharger and you want a high CR is this a joke? y would you want to do that
No joke and it will take less boost to make the same power.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I would think it would be good to have the piston pin lower in a FI motor, so the ring lans can be thicker? Thats why I have the 6.100 rods.
That's good theory, but the pin will still be at the same place in the piston not moved down (unless you go custom piston) because Wiseco doesn't have a piston for this exact application as shelf stock. That's why you'll have to deck the block so much, because the pin is placed for the 6.125" rod and without decking the piston will be way in the hole.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No joke and it will take less boost to make the same power.
thats crazy, hell the extra boost you can run is going to far outweigh the benefits of higher c/r

in the end, cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure so you can go either way

i still think lower compression ratio and more boost is better because under normal driving is where you spend 99% of your time and i would much rather be driving around on a low compression motor than high
Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
That's good theory, but the pin will still be at the same place in the piston not moved down (unless you go custom piston) because Wiseco doesn't have a piston for this exact application as shelf stock. That's why you'll have to deck the block so much, because the pin is placed for the 6.125" rod and without decking the piston will be way in the hole.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. So, if I went with a custom piston with the 6.100 rod. The piston would be very strong?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Full-Force
thats crazy, hell the extra boost you can run is going to far outweigh the benefits of higher c/r

in the end, cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure so you can go either way

i still think lower compression ratio and more boost is better because under normal driving is where you spend 99% of your time and i would much rather be driving around on a low compression motor than high
I have driven cars that have 8.5/ 9.5 motor and they are a dog intill the boost gets there. The air charge should be better with lower boost, so that should it less likely to get detonation. Your right about the cylinder persure.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want to order a custom piston, you can run any rod lenth you want within reason.

Wiseco may not have a shelf piston that will work, maybe Diamond does, possibly mahle or jE does.

I'd do some more looking around. You certainly don't want to deck the hell out of the block, doing that is moving everything lower in the block, towards the bottom of the sleeve which isn't a really great idea, also decking that much off the block is bound to cause some alignment issues with the intake on the heads, pushrod lenth is gonna change, all that crap.

And to answer the question about how strong the piston will be with a 6.1 rod, yes it will be strong that's not a problem, with a 6.1 rod you'll have a good bit of room to put the ring lands down on the piston, the pin will be farther away from the bottom ring too, which never hurts.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. So, if I went with a custom piston with the 6.100 rod. The piston would be very strong?
Yep, that might be the way to go! Diamond also doesn't have a shelf stock piston that will work unless you bore thew block a good bit (.030" IIRC).

Old 11-07-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Yep, that might be the way to go! Diamond also doesn't have a shelf stock piston that will work unless you bore thew block a good bit (.030" IIRC).
Thanks for the info. Looks like a custom set it is. Who can I go threw for them?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We can help. Diamond can take care of it by modifying one of their shelf stock pistons (compression distance). Were you planning on a 4.005" bore??

Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

who wants to deck the block .020" anyway?
Its good when you have someone bringing you a used block, get the deck straight and fit the pistons at the same time.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I find it fairly rare to have a used block that needs .020" to be flat.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes if all you want is a CH change Diamond can do it but you have to wait for it. I do this with Diamond a lot. There is a charge but it's not like a full custom.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if a really strong piston was needed,
wouldnt a on center 6.0 rod
1.425 compression height and stock stroke be a better option for strength
all lh pistons
Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

What the cost of a custom piston set?

Quick Reply: What Pistons Should I get??