Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibach sportlines

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach sportlines

k so i have some eibach sportlines, they are not put on my car yet. Ive heard mostly bad things about them, whats are the positives about them?? anyone ever had / have them right now? and also, is there that much of a risk with me installing them myself? my neighbor knows what to do and has all the tools.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

They make your car look really cool,and nothing else.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Launching!

ya i dont kno if ur being sarcastic or not but alright
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

The fronts are mainly time consuming.
With the fronts you'll need a spring compressor and possibly new shocks ,if the shock shaft mount nuts and threads are rusted bad enough. so spray the shock shaft mount nut and threads with plenty of penetrating oil and let the soak for a while before disassembly.
The rears are really easy.

You shouldn't have a problem doing it yourself.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Launching!

ya we have all those tools ,but i just wnna kno what the risk is compard to a shop doing it, i dont wanna have my ******* axel fall out then not beable to steer worth a **** while im goin 80 down the high way
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Here's the lowering guide for the front, and rear which is in the suspension sticky.
front
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
rear
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8

You'll be fine, just don't get in a hurry.

IMO, I would be more worried about a shop doing it than myself.
And get it aligned as soon as you can.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-07-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Launching!

thanks for all that info dude, good lookin out
Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

They are lower springs than most out there with lower springrates. Does that make much sense? Especially since Prokits are a tad on the low side on springrates but sit higher.

Blue is right, they make your car really really low, and do nothing else good for you. Unless riding your bumpstops is something you dont mind, and suprisingly some people don't.

I don't even like the look of the car being super low. Looks real ghetto in my opinion. Hell I think I like the stock look the best, and I might be the only one
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Sportlines = fail
Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

No experience with sportlines, but you really should think about upgrading the shocks when you put in new springs. The stock shocks have (shitty) valving designed for stock ride hight, so when you lower the car it gets all out of wack and the shocks aren't able to do their job. Since you have to remove the whole strut assembly anyways, think about just doing it once and doing it right.

Konis are the way to go if you have the cash. I just recently got complimented on by an alignment shop owner who specializes in lambo's, bimmers, etc that said he loved how my car rode. It was a very expensive suspension setup (more than a cam swap would cost) but IMO it was very worth it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the install! I did mine by myself and its the way to go. Use plenty of PB blaster on the bolts and dont be afraid to wack the **** out of the spindle to get it off the upper control arm. Otherwise, just make sure the rear springs are oriented the same and it should all go smoothly.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stance is about the only real positive they have. They rode great on smooth roads or highways, but once you get into the bumps you'll be hitting the bump stops. Basically it'll be very harsh.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell them and buy the Pro Kit or Strano's. Sportlines suck donkey..
Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard a good thing about the Sportlines. I myself have no personal experience with them. A buddy of mine had them in his RSX, and they were also very terrible.
They do in fact have a lower spring rate than other springs that lower less. Which some may say is completely ridiculous. In fact thats what I thought. But when you lower a car as much as sportlines do, the suspension geometry completely changes. Having the lower spring rate probably makes the car actually drivable. There is very little suspension travel left after you lower that much, but i would imagine the car being nearly rock solid and dangerous if it had a spring rate to much stiffer than 360lb./in (sportline spring rate).
It comes down to whether or not you want a car that simply looks good (which, IMO, sportlines are way too low), or to handle and ride nice. Sportlines will not give you a good ride and, I'm sure, not very good handling.
I myself have Eibach Pro-kit front springs and Strano rear springs. I am very happy with the way it handles and rides in my Daily Driver, and, I'm sure, even more pleased when I replace my Bilstein shocks with the KONIs that are sitting in my room
Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Default It's what you want

It is very true on the ride height. I've had these sportlines for almost 8 years now which btw lowered my car 2.5 inches all around and I like it! I personally like being low center of gravity. When lowering our cars that low, your ride will be stiff unless you want to sway all over the place. Back in the early 80's when I was active Air Force, my friend had a 911 that was lowered with Konis all around and it was rough riding like my 2000 SS today. I'm sure if you guys test drive SCCA or Champ cars, you won't like it. Just make sure you get some decent struts and shocks. And the good things about sportlines from my own experience is when you take off, your car won't squat so much in the back, upon taking corners allot less sway and you'll look good! That's what I like! With that being said, my SS is basically a weekend driver only, my DD is a 2006 Trailblazer so I don't mind being slammed to the ground!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoiceCam00
It is very true on the ride height. I've had these sportlines for almost 8 years now which btw lowered my car 2.5 inches all around and I like it!
And they claim a 1.6" drop front, and 1.4" drop rear, doesn't that tell you something about their quality? At 2.5" you must be literally riding the bump stops, care to take a picture or your rear axle for us where the springs meet the axle?

When lowering our cars that low, your ride will be stiff unless you want to sway all over the place.
Your right but for the wrong reasons.
Sportlines ride rough not because they are stiff springs made for handling, they ride rough because they are poorly engineered springs with too little spring rate(too soft ) for the drop, so you are hitting the bump stops harder than you should be.

I'm sure if you guys test drive SCCA or Champ cars, you won't like it.
Funny you mention that, because Sam Strano is driving a multiple winning SCCA national champ car and using 1.2" lowering springs (really its a custom koni coil over setup in the front, but hes using the same rates[varying depending on track etc.] that he uses with the springs he sells)
Ive got the same setup, and its a very comfortable street car, and I'm sure other strano suspension owners will agree. If the suspension is rock hard, or hitting the bump stops too hard it will result in a loose car.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
And they claim a 1.6" drop front, and 1.4" drop rear, doesn't that tell you something about their quality? At 2.5" you must be literally riding the bump stops, care to take a picture or your rear axle for us where the springs meet the axle?

Your right but for the wrong reasons.
Sportlines ride rough not because they are stiff springs made for handling, they ride rough because they are poorly engineered springs with too little spring rate(too soft ) for the drop, so you are hitting the bump stops harder than you should be.

Funny you mention that, because Sam Strano is driving a multiple winning SCCA national champ car and using 1.2" lowering springs (really its a custom koni coil over setup in the front, but hes using the same rates[varying depending on track etc.] that he uses with the springs he sells)
Ive got the same setup, and its a very comfortable street car, and I'm sure other strano suspension owners will agree. If the suspension is rock hard, or hitting the bump stops too hard it will result in a loose car.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats a 2.5" drop ?
What's your wheelwell arch peak to ground measurements at the front and rear?

I don't have sportlines on my car and my front is at 25.75"(Edelbrock IAS w/uppermount mod) with 275/35/18s, and at 26" (nornal ride height with air springs)in the rear with 275/40/18s

And I have plenty of suspension travel.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-08-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

damn that looks good, thats what i hoped to get out of these
Old 11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Default WoW!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Thats a 2.5" drop ?
What's your wheelwell arch peak,to ground measurements front and rear?
WoW, ur right! My front is 25 7/8" and the back is 26 5/8" from ground to wheel arch. I just looked at my bump stops and it has maybe 1" clearance from the axle just sitting with no one in the car. Should I cut my bump stops for it seems to be almost 3 inches thick. I don't want to give up the ride height but would like to improve my ride.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Would it be ok to install the sportlines with stock shocks and struts???

Quick Reply: Eibach sportlines