Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sub stopped working

Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub stopped working

i have a powerbass amp powering a 10'' kicker cvr. it was working fine until it just randomly quit working. it's done this before but it always comes back on within a day. but this time i let it go for about 3 days until i checked it. i checked all the wires going from the amp to the box, to the sub and unpluged and plugged them back in but still nothing. the ground looked good too. it came on for like 3 seconds, but then it stopped and flickered back on for a second, and then nothing. the amp has a light that says power, and it lights up so i gues it's getting power. there's 2 fuses on the amp and they both look good also. i don't know much about sound systems, so i've checked everyting that i know to check. do you guys think it's the sub or the amp? or is there anything else i need to check?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your ground for sure. Also check inside your box to make sure your sub is still hooked up in there...
Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

You may also want to check output from the headunit to the amp. No source no sound.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
Check your ground for sure. Also check inside your box to make sure your sub is still hooked up in there...
Yep, I would check the inside of the box for sure to make sure a wire didn't come loose from the terminal to the sub inside the box.

You can check the RCA cables on the amp and on the back of the unit. I doubt thats it, but it is worth a shot.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and some head units allow you to turn your sub level on or off, I dunno how it happens but settings get set sometimes. But to check if your sub is still good just throw a multimeter across the + and - on the sub and see what it says. If thos are good make sure the suspension is smooth and then when everything we have said is good then go somewhere to have your amp looked at.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like it was overheating. maybe you burnt it up. smell it and see if it smells like burnt electronics. or open it up even and see if any of the board is burnt or the capacitors are blown.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly got your wires touching each other somewhere, mabye going into protect mode? a bunch of possibilities, when you are takning about audio, its something that has to have every inch of wire accounted for, and when youve got a metal car with usually a ~20ft run of wire and speaker wire trying to stay hidden, youve got alot of potential for a grounded cable. just check over every inch...

Search this Thread