Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lexus IS(F?) Kill

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Lexus IS(F?) Kill

Let me begin by saying I'm not into street racing or anything ... this was an unexpected stoplight challenge.

I was at a stoplight last night and noticed what looked like a Lexus IS headlight/foglight pattern behind me. As I sometimes do, I had the shifter in manual 1st just to hold gear a little longer as I pull away from the light. I jumped out from the light kinda quickly, just playing with my car and not paying attention to anybody around me.

Next thing I know, the car that was behind me has whipped around alongside of me and is on it. By then, I'm in manual second, so I stomp it, but don't get a 2-1 downshift and he pulls past me. My nose is just behind his rear door and for a moment it seems like we're hanging even and then I start gaining on him. I move the lever into third, slowly pull even with him and then gradually pull him. The road narrows to one lane for construction up ahead, and by then I'm ahead of him and he pulls in behind me. At the light he's "menacingly" right up on my tail, but he had been had. From there, there was traffic ahead until I pulled into the restaurant where I was meeting my wife.

It was dark outside so I couldn't get a good look at the car. My guess it was an ISF because at my bolt-on power level, it took every bit of what I had to get past him. For a moment there, I thought he had me. I don't think a V6 would have the ability to stay with me. I don't know, though. How does an ISF typically stack up against a bolt-on car? I was alone and he had a passenger in his car. He was fast enough that had I been in my lid/muffler M6 car, he would have taken me.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ISF has a large almost cowl looking hood(I think) , did you notice if he had that?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to one of the test magazines they run mid 12s
Old 11-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No, I never saw the hood. The only chance I had was when I pulled up even with him, and I didn't look over at that point.

My car is mid-12's, so that would have made for the competitive race that it was. It's a little hard for me to believe that I could have pulled on him as much as I did from behind, as fast as that car is.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Default Damn ISfs..

They are FAST cars. They have 416 HP and are light only 3780 pounds which is around my race weight . I know all this because I raced one too and it was ugly... also at the NYC Auto show they had one on a dyno-they let anyone in line get in it and when the tree turned green to mash the throttle-it was glorious!!! back to the story--I was driving and he swung around cars to catch up too me then we just both hit it, I am not sure how fast I was going when I stomped it but his front was at my door...then we did a stop light run. I pulled off the line and at about 40 I mashed it then spun all over, he flies by. I get traction and stomp it again, this time I get traction and take off. I catch him not sure if he missed a shift or what and then by 80 I start to pull on him think when I was done shutting off he was maybe 2 cars if that back...too close for me. I mean I got crappy gears and tons of weight from stereo crap..I must of weighed maybe 200-300 lbs more then him.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Surferd15
I catch him not sure if he missed a shift or ....:
Driver mod needed if so, they are auto trans
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Village Idiot

The IS-F Lexus is powered by a 5.0 liter V8 motor sporting around 400bhpp or so... Fairly quick in stock form but with a few mods can really move..

This is a special edition IS-F but very close to stock.. This pic was taken by me at the LA convention auto show last year...

The silver one on the dyno is what you will find in the dealerships..
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0742.jpg   Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0741.jpg   Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0743a.jpg   Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0745.jpg   Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0732.jpg  

Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0737.jpg   Lexus IS(F?) Kill-hpim0736.jpg  

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-12-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 89rs400&335
Driver mod needed if so, they are auto trans
The car is an auto with paddle shifters so hence you can screw a gear change up and it will beep at you.

Last edited by Surferd15; 11-12-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

And are reported to shift better when manually "paddled". Also, even with 8 gears, knowing the gearing is a good idea.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Surferd15
The car is an auto with paddle shifters so hence you can screw a gear change up and it will beep at you.
Yeah, i guess by bumping against the revlimiter.

Maybe its a lex thing, the paddles on my 335 are basically foolproof on UPSHIFTS.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS(F?) Kill