Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS KIT/ TTI @ 1000rwhp possible????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APS KIT/ TTI @ 1000rwhp possible????

I have a 98 trans am that I am going to turn into a car that we can enjoy, with A/C and all the comforts of a street car.
Going with a LSX block and 4xxci. I would like to use a bolt on turbo kit per say, and just curious about the APS kit or TTI kit's. Do they offer a upgrade on turbo's large enough to make this kinda power??? Thank's
Old 11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LG's z06 made 1000rwhp with the aps kit, the one they took to the texas mile.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/LG-M...ile_195518.htm
Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

APS now even has there "427" option which includes more potent turbos.

You see lots of guys around here making around 700RWHP with H/C 346ci cars. Most of them are making it under 15PSI also.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

I would use TTI if possible. It seems like APS isn't too concerned with their F-body customers problems since the platform is obsolete. Just my opinion based on what I read here in this section.

Larry
Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

first AMEN ^ ^ ^

second i have an asp kit. wish they had a garret turbo option for us f-body guys. tired of this mit ****.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
APS now even has there "427" option which includes more potent turbos.

You see lots of guys around here making around 700RWHP with H/C 346ci cars. Most of them are making it under 15PSI also.
i agree
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
first AMEN ^ ^ ^

second i have an asp kit. wish they had a garret turbo option for us f-body guys. tired of this mit ****.
+1
and to the OP
I have the APS kit and may be willing to sell. I want larger turbos than it will allow
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Launching!

TTi's f-body race kit is rated for 1K but says no AC. You should call them and see how far you can go with the street kit.

http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/site/?page_id=113

I love watching this dyno vid.
http://208.100.1.13/~turbotec/site/w.../ryan_dyno.wmv

Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

will the gt35 on the aps kit?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm confused you have your crazy car now and you want to make a street lsx block huge displacement one now?

I guess question is why? and why that much overkill?. Lsx blocks are only needed for like 2000 hp builds. And that much displacement on any TT street car is pretty much also super overkill. What tires are you planning to run that can hook up? drag tires...my nittos already are a joke at maybe 750 engine hp.

I am already finding out even with a 408 at 7.5 psi that its plenty plenty for any sane street car. And it should be doing around 750 engine at 7.5psi. Thats more power than a new z1r..new viper..most of the new fastest factory cars. I also was thinking since do have a bad turbo it seems ,to maybe get the upgraded ones but then wondering why the heck do I need 1300 hp on the street with maybe 100 shot on top. I guess the answer is because I am also crazy! LOL

Actually these turbo monsters are pretty easy to drive on the street if you keep your head and don't go wot much. Wot is not a great thing with 750 or more hp. Especially in a car with no traction control. I wish now that had that option.

The vettes are so much better for dealing with really high hp.They have the different traction control and active handling settings and they really can help a guy stay alive.

I have to stay that even with a dud turbo am not that depressed over my aps kit.
The kit was otherwise very high quality ,the install was grueling and seemed to go on forever but now that its done pretty pleased. Most of the kit is superb quality. I am not sure whats up with APS quality control on the turbo side of things. These mits 20gs should be rock solid reliable. Many many many dsms run them for 100,000 plus miles with no issues. I have had similar mits turbos with that kind of mileage.

Whats also weird is not seeing any duds on the gto or c5 boards with exactly the same turbos. So maybe a bad run or something? Still my failure could have easily cost me a new 10k engine. Lucky caught it in the first 5 minutes of the first start up. Coolant pouring into the oil. But no oil in coolant or any coolant in the cylinders..went right into the oilpan. And it wasn't the engine, changed that oil like 5 times making sure it was clean. Thought had cracked block or cracked afr head or blown /wrong head gasket.
Has to be turbo.
Running them just no water cooling.Not the best idea but it can and is done pretty frequently with the mits turbos.The water cooling is mostly for coking problems which also are not that common with new synthetic oils. The oil cooling is the critical stuff!

But sorry off the subject.. The Aps kit let me keep my air. The Aps kit fits good, no relocation of anything like alternator,just some minor things like have to use their coolant overflow,their battery tray,,their windshield washer reservoir.

I had terrible luck with other companies in the past losing 2000 bucks to GMR speed year or so back. APS shipped promptly ahead of schedule, every nut and bolt ,great manual. Looks like factory install now that its in there . And so far really zero complaints for performance. Their upgraded kit should easily hit 1000rwhp. If you want more than that well you are hardcore and likely going to wind up in jail or upside down or worse.
1000rwhp or more is not streetable..fun lighting them up in every gear but really its not streetable. And not talking using 50 % throttle ,talking actually going 100% throttle with 1000rwhp or more anywhere but the track. And yes you can baby it around but then the hp numbers are just for bragging rights off the track.

Anyway Hunter mostly kidding about the above stuff. Being an old speed freek always wanted to be traction limited not power limited. I have pretty much achieved that in current build.
But there is another old saying..
Be careful what you wish for you just might get it!
Now I have a car that demands my utmost repect. Like spiderman was also told..with great power comes great responibility.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered the STAGE 2. Got it August /08 It has bigger Turbos and better inlet ducts. I have read and heard a few problems with STAGE 1 kits, BUT I am (NOT) worried about the STAGE 2 that I have. I would suggest that you get someone who is familar with installing these kits to do it. I havent installed mine yet as I am saving $$$ for the 427. When I am ready to install its gonna be EPP or Canadian performance that I will be calling.

Warren
Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

The aps install is doable by home type mechanics. Since the estimate on the install is like 100 hours a shop might wind up costing like 8000 or more bucks assuming say 80 bucks an hour. That would buy like fuel system,rear end and some other goodies.

Now if you have the money and don't have the skills then sure get a knowledgeable shop to do it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

lmfao at all the defeatist attitudes in regards to the APS kit. I just finished boxing mine up last night. It's ready to ship, save the labels, should I decide to part with it.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
The aps install is doable by home type mechanics. Since the estimate on the install is like 100 hours a shop might wind up costing like 8000 or more bucks assuming say 80 bucks an hour. That would buy like fuel system,rear end and some other goodies.

Now if you have the money and don't have the skills then sure get a knowledgeable shop to do it.
my sponsor is charging 1500 installed and that is everything.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

1500 installed sounds reasonable. My install also took a lot longer as had to assemble my new longblock and install that with the turbos.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
my sponsor is charging 1500 installed and that is everything.

How the hell do you get sponsored with a high 12 second car?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Default turbo kits

upgraded Aps and ohio forced induction are about the only ready made kits out there that can meet those hp numbers and keep the a.c.Don't know if you can even get the ofi kit now.I haven't heard anybody say anything about Joel's status lately.I think the tti street kit is a great kit if you can be happy with about 600 hp,but thats about it.The tti race kit is a great kit,but wont keep the a.c.You can always go with a custom kit and get what you want,you are already familiar with that route.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I have a 98 trans am that I am going to turn into a car that we can enjoy, with A/C and all the comforts of a street car.
Going with a LSX block and 4xxci. I would like to use a bolt on turbo kit per say, and just curious about the APS kit or TTI kit's. Do they offer a upgrade on turbo's large enough to make this kinda power??? Thank's
I will give ya a call tomarrow.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
How the hell do you get sponsored with a high 12 second car?
well haven't been to the track since new build start.

LS3 block
billet main caps
callies crank
oliver rods
wisco pistons
225 afr
custom cam
aps kit
s60 rear end
built t56(viper upgrade)
mcloed twin disk
quick time bell housing
ams 1000
6 point cage

and lot more.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:23 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Why don't you try the ls1 turbo from byunspeed?
http://www.byunspeed.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=326