Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help (PETER APS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help (PETER APS)

ok my aps kit came with an Inconel 713C turbine

how do i get a gt35 to bolt up. is that possible.

also how long lasting is the mit turbo. is there any ball bearing mit turbos?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

sorry i found more info. it isn't a mit. is is like a mit. but it has a t3 flange. so what flange does a garret GT35 have?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Coal Mining Director

Gt35R's have a T3 flange...but be careful...APS might be a "custom" T3 flange that will not fit...get the measurements first.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

i'll pull my manifold out tomorrow and let you all know.

but thanks for the heads up.

also how hard you think it take to get gt35 to work with kit?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean its not a mits..APS use mits 20gs. but its their o2 housing on there.
First think most gt35r have bigger inlets so might not be room down there. Think 3 inch is about biggest inlet that will fit. And then the starter is right there.. the upgraded kit uses the msd starter to get more room. Gt35 is quite a bit larger than the current aps turbos. I basically run one on my 97 talon and it aint fitting down there.

Mits turbos generally are super super reliable..lasting 100,000 or more miles. Ask me I have had many of them in my dsms..thats laser,talons and elipses..see my sig.

So really there should not be any issues here with the aps 20gs. Unless they are getting some shop that can't balance them right or using substandard parts in them or they are some chines knockoffs or something. There are chinese knock offs on the marktet for mist turbos..just check out ebay.
Turbos are pretty damn simple and these things are easy to rebulid and garett ball bearing like the gt35rs are as far as I know not rebuildable. Still hearing that you need to get them rebalanced when you rebuild them or they dont' last long at all.

Aps is a great kit but not sure what is the deal on the dud turbos. I got one too .
Not happy with that but will deal with it in January or so for next spring. Not going to take it out now ,its too cold in my unheated garage lucky just finished up my car.

So Big bird you can sell the kit if you hate it so much .But you are not going to be fitting any gt35R in there to replace the 20gs.

You could mabye send away the mits to a place like Forced Performance but not sure they rebuild anyone elses turbos anymore. Or that place Kwikkar is getting his done at might be the ticket.

I don't think there is much at all wrong with the rest of my kit. Intake tubes collapse..will stent them or buy the new tubes or make something up.Sway bar is easy fix. Well if you just do spacers and shorten the endlinks.. think Sam strano said not to do that but whatever.then maybe just put silicone tubes where it hits and cut section out of the pipes.

Overheating issues well its not summer but have some ideas and not afraid to change out rad or use high flow water pump.No kit is perfect. All seem to have their bugs..log manifolds that wind up cracking , no air conditioning. companies that go under with our money, etc.etc. I am happy as hell with my combo right now. Just want to get my turbo fixed up so can run coolant and oil and not fill my oilpan with coolant from some cracked internally turbo center section. Maybe my turbo fell off the truck.
And not sure yet on warranty . I didn't install it for a year since had a lot of delays with my new 408. Finally got it in fall and got my kit installed and new 408 running week or so ago.

Later Al
Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Big bird are you turbos screwed up now? or you are just worried about down the road. I couldn't find any gto or c5 guys with the same turbos that have any problems with theirs yet. I posted on their forums asking.

No idea why us f body kits guys had some duds. Gave some reasons for possibly problems. If they are blowing oil it might be a few things you can try not the turbo.
You might have forgot or the install shop to take out the shipping plug where the oil return fitting goes. You can put the fitting right on top of the little plug! That will cause instant oil coming out the exhaust and mabye intake..but the turbo should be fine once you fix and take out that plug. Also inlets sucking shut could cause oil to come out there. I would be running only 7.5 gate boost until got new inlets or stented them so they stay open. Also if guys have oil burning did they do the proper pcv and breathing mods in the install manual. That one way valve if put in backwards would likely cause some big oil to be coming out.
I have no oil on mine so far. I double checked to make sure took out the shipping plugs on the oil return. Also running stock pressure spring on my slp pump not sure if the high pressure spring would be too much and make them push oil.

Turbos grinding on the housings would be bad balance job most likely. Internal crack in mine that lets coolant to go into oil is pretty darn rare thing. Never actually seen it before. And been around turbos for quite a few years.

I would not be scared of mits turbos. Garetts have their share of troubles sometimes and turbonetics have seen many problems in the past buddy went thru several of them and then we have the ebay junk.

Its too bad these Aps turbos are pain to take out..drop the kmember pretty much only way it seems.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

ok does anyone have the demensions for the gt35. why can't it fit? what about using the BFH mod?

has to be a way
Old 11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a driverside APS turbo for sale. Asking $800 shipped
Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

I don't think there is much at all wrong with the rest of my kit. Intake tubes collapse..will stent them or buy the new tubes or make something up.Sway bar is easy fix. Well if you just do spacers and shorten the endlinks.. think Sam strano said not to do that but whatever.then maybe just put silicone tubes where it hits and cut section out of the pipes.

I wonder if oval tubing would work. Bob
Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I am pretty sure the g35 from looking at the one in my 97 which is huge is not going to fit where the aps turbo fits.there is simply no room. So if you insist on using gt35r then get a kit that can use them..maybe the Gen tt kit?? and sell off the aps kit.

I will stick it out as keep saying I like the kit and will deal with the issues.

Are you talking the tubing for the intercooler pipes where the sway bar hits or for the intake tubes..A short section might serve to stent the intake tubes..should be easy to stent the intake tubes. maybe take mine out and mess with it over the winter.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I am pretty sure the g35 from looking at the one in my 97 which is huge is not going to fit where the aps turbo fits.there is simply no room. So if you insist on using gt35r then get a kit that can use them..maybe the Gen tt kit?? and sell off the aps kit.

I will stick it out as keep saying I like the kit and will deal with the issues.

Are you talking the tubing for the intercooler pipes where the sway bar hits or for the intake tubes..A short section might serve to stent the intake tubes..should be easy to stent the intake tubes. maybe take mine out and mess with it over the winter.
Yes I was referring to where the sway bar hits. It has been a while since we have done an APS kit on an f body and I don't recall if this oval tubing would work out or not. You can also buy the pieces to go back to standard tubing. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 11-09-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

There seems to be too easy ways to fix the sway bar hitting.method one simply use a spacer and shorten the endlinks. Might not be the best way according to some but it should be better than no sway bar. People have already done this see other posts.

Method 2 would be to cut the pretty stainless tig welded intercooler pipes and put in a silicone section and some clamps. see now downside to this method at all really.

For the intake tubes well aps has the thicker rubber ones now. But it would seem easy to simply stent them.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

does any one have numbers on the garret turbo like size. i know they are a bit bigger. but will the BFH mod work?

also bob do you have a gt35 laying around? can you get me some numbers?

thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

Do a search for the Speed Inc Jim Moran cutom TT kit they produced about 2 years ago. It came with GT35r's. I installed one on my car and it was tight, but fit well. The Speed manifolds were hand made and the APS manifolds looked exactly like them except they were cast.

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
does any one have numbers on the garret turbo like size. i know they are a bit bigger. but will the BFH mod work?

also bob do you have a gt35 laying around? can you get me some numbers?

thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

i am going to call jim and see if he thinks they will fit
Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

ok i called speed inc. they are a aps dealer.

they said that the Z06 kit turbo will bolt up to the GTO kit. so then it should bolt up to our kit.

think i might see if peter can hook me up.

soon find out
Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Keep us posted..didn't think there is any room left in there .new starter likely mandatory but no big deal there. You realize the gt35rs are like 1500 each or so?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

well on the website they say they are garret gt358(something)R

well speed inc says all the ones they get with the z06 kit dont say garret on them.

but i will keep everyone up to day.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

I thought I answered your question, we don't sell/offer any GT series turbos as seperate items.

Peter

--------

Quote:
that wasn't my question.

if i buy two z06 ball bearing tubros form your what is the cost?

and can i trade my f-body ones in plus money for the z06 turbos

thanks

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter@aps
Quote:
peter,

i have a f-body kit.

first will the Z06 kit turbos fit on my kit?(i want ball bearing)

second if i send you my two BRAND new still in box f-body turbos. what deal can you cut me on the trade
-------------
We don't offer any GT turbo upgrade for the F body kit, sotty that I can't help you,

Peter

this is what peter and i have talked about so far. and like most so far no help
Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Coal Mining Director

Looks like you are on your own. Verify the bolt pattern first. ATP turbo might be able to help you out if it's a wonky bolt pattern....and I bet it is since APS casts their own turbine housings. You will need a CSR starter for clearance.

Quick Reply: need help (PETER APS)