Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brakes

ok its time for a brake job, all 4 pads and rotors. the car is a 2002 ss with asr, i looked at strano website but i am having difficulty picking out a set. i would like to go with sloted rotors and a nice set of pads. any suggestion's? thank's to all

Last edited by jam01; 11-08-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a message I got from Sam Strano through PM when I basically asked the same question as you.

"We have Brembo rotors. ATE too. Those are the only only 2 I can recommend as far as premium rotors go.

Brembo's are $50 for the front, $92 each for the rear. They are blanks, but uncoated.

ATE's are coated. They are slotted, but very shallow (actually only to minimum wear depth on the rotor), and have the Metacote finish on them. They are are actually less mone than the Brembo on a per set basis. $56 in front, $75 in the rear. As a note, the slots are elliptical and have not points to act as stress risers, and they do not run to the very edge of the rotor (again, that would be a stress riser). We've had great luck with them.

We also have a warehouse brand called Best brakes. They have been pretty good (actually running a set for autox and on the street because they are little lighter than the others, but run Brembo and ATE for track days (depending on what I have). They are $45 each front, $40 rear. I'm not claiming they are as durable as Brembo or ATE... and they are not coated. Most blanks won't be as they aren't "fancy" enough to warrant such things.

As for pads. I'd recommend either Hawk HPS or Ceramics. HPS do dust, but it's an easy clean and not horribly bad. Ceramics give up a little power but are very clean. Both cost about the same amount. HPS's are $141 a complete set (front and rear) and have free shipping. Ceramics are $145 a complete set (front and rear) and also have free shipping.

At some point you need to consider a compromise. You can't get everything you want in one package. HP Plus pads have the most power, but are very dirty. Ceramic's are cleaner, but have less power than HPS's which are in the middle on both dust and power.

Brembo's are blanks, but not coated. ATE's are coated, but are slotted (though much better than other no-name brands, and better than some "name" brands)."
Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my Brembo blanks (thanks, Sam) and Hawk HPS pads. No, they are not slotted, but they stop great, have excellent feel, and are worlds better than stock.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks. i see that he has kits listed, but im not sure which one i want or would work for my application.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ordered my brakes today from sam strano. i would recomend him to anybody that needs parts. he was easy to talk with and made my decision easy. thanks sam

Quick Reply: new brakes