Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help a nitrous newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a nitrous newbie

I am constantly getting slack from my friends for thinking about / wanting nitrous. They say it is a "cheater" / "ricer" / "anybody can put nitrous an a car" take your pick. But I am still wondering if I want to get it.

My main questions are, what about how my car is going to run when I am not using nitrous? I mean most people with nitrous get specialized cams made for nitrous, what about how that cam performs when you are not using nitrous? Also you run the TR6 spark plugs, what does that do to performance when you are not running the nitrous?

My last questions are about neatness. I am really not interested in flooding my engine bay with nitrous wires and solenoids, I have already done my best to remove / help with the eyesore of having all the stock wires everywhere. Are there alternatives to the wire mess? I am not looking at getting a large shot, and I would like to keep it simple and get a dry kit.

Last question, how does direct port nitrous work, is it a wet kit, dry kit, how does it work?

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: help a nitrous newbie

If your looking to "keep it simple" I would recommend NOS 5177 kit. Its a dry kit meaning you need to only run N20 lines no fuel. And most can be hidden in your engine bay. You can probably run a 100 shot safely without having to resort to a new fuel pump.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You want wet, they are safer.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't say either is safer, personally, i feel for a larger shot, i want the fuel to ge guaranteed, ie wet, but you you want clean, and small shot, the NOS kit might be right for you.

Just take your timeinstalling it, use wire loom, and you can have a setup, that is not visable at all.

Ryan.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want wet, they are safer.
For a small shot...why?

I disagree, btw. With a dry kit you don't have to worry about the fuel noid(s) failing. That, and the timing advance is naturally lowered, unlike with a wet kit.

TR-6 plugs run just fine NA. There is no measurable power loss between them and stock heat range plugs.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, you don't need a nitrous specific cam for a small to moderate shot of nitrous. Most LS1 guys running nitrous do not have nitrous specific cams. Most people are running 100-150 shots and like I said before, they're not needed.

A direct port kit has one fuel/N2O (it's a wet kit) nozzle per cylinder plummed in through the intake manifold. It pretty much guarantees even nitrous distribution. It's normally used for more serious nitrous applications and is hands down the safest method of running large shots of nitrous.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

A wet nitrous kit is safer because it injects fuel and atomizes it with the nitrous , then the additional nitrous and fuel get evenly dispursed in the same amount together through the intake runners . A nitrous kit that is not direct port never gets evenly dispursed in each intake runner , so some cylinders run a little lean , and some a little rich . With a dry kit you are just sending an uneven dispursement of nitrous through each runner , at least with the wet kit the fuel is sent with it to make each runner have enough fuel for the nitrous going with it .
Old 09-23-2003, 03:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I am constantly getting slack from my friends for thinking about / wanting nitrous. They say it is a "cheater" / "ricer" / "anybody can put nitrous an a car" take your pick. But I am still wondering if I want to get it.

My main questions are, what about how my car is going to run when I am not using nitrous? I mean most people with nitrous get specialized cams made for nitrous, what about how that cam performs when you are not using nitrous? Also you run the TR6 spark plugs, what does that do to performance when you are not running the nitrous?

My last questions are about neatness. I am really not interested in flooding my engine bay with nitrous wires and solenoids, I have already done my best to remove / help with the eyesore of having all the stock wires everywhere. Are there alternatives to the wire mess? I am not looking at getting a large shot, and I would like to keep it simple and get a dry kit.

Last question, how does direct port nitrous work, is it a wet kit, dry kit, how does it work?

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks in advance for the help.

Forget what your friends say. They dont have the ***** to be fast. And they are scared of nitrous due to lack of knowledge. Get a basic Nos kit 5177 and run a 100 shot. Youll leave them in the dust and be as reliable as ever.

And dont listen to the wet kit dry kit debate. Its overhyped...both are safe enough. I give the nod to the dry kit though. I am spraying 300 hp dual stage all DRY and I have no dispersion problems like the guy above said. Dispersion problems come from the more dense fuel of a wet kit trying to be evenly routed to all cylinders.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

so help me clear things up with myself...if i get a dry 100 shot of NOS i dont need to do any special engine mods?? what about installation?? and one last question, doesnt nos tear your engine apart? i would only use it at the track but i just dont wanna blow my engine.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Done right, with the proper safety precautions, nitrous is just as safe as any other power adder.

Just do plenty of research, and don't try to cut corners.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:28 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

It only tears your engine up if you run into predetination. Other then that, its just another 100 HP like you would get from a H/C package, a SC, or a turbo. And the claim that anybody can put it on is the same as anyone can drop off their car and have any other power adder on.