Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dual oil coolers?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual oil coolers?

Well, since I started my build, im thinking of ways to keep the temps to a minimum, especially in our climate. First idea was to take the fog lamps off and allow the turbocharges which sit right behind them to breath better, anyways I dont use the foglamps.

I just though of placing an engine oil cooler behind each foglamp opening and taking that thing away from the intercooler's and radiator's ambient air flow path, sounded like a good idea to me, but I guess id loose some oil pressure, which will already be lower after the turbo install, and perhaps might divert the hot air flowing through the oil coolers onto the filters and heat up the IAT.

I hope im making some sense, any other ideas with regards to maintaining engine oil temperature, is an aluminum radiator with built in EOC any good?

I would love to hear weird ideas, let's say out of the box.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

why not mount them in the fenders ?? we did this to a buddy's procharged c6 ( with zo6 fenders) and used fans for the air flow.
here's a pic of what i'm talking about :

Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
why not mount them in the fenders ?? we did this to a buddy's procharged c6 ( with zo6 fenders) and used fans for the air flow.
here's a pic of what i'm talking about :

Yeah, I see what you mean, but in this case, cooling the oil is completely dependant on the fans, and not on air-flow.

I am looking for a way to make use of air-flow as the car gets up to speed, and for the time being the EOC is placed in front of the radiator, I dont like the idea.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

use one of the oil pumps from the new variable valve timing vehicles...I put one in my car and now the oil pressure is so high and going to put 2 oil coolers on mine just so I will lose some pressure on purpose. I think they flow like 35% more which doesn't sound like much until you see over 80psi at wot.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

got a part number for one of those pumps?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual oil coolers?