LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HP = noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP = noise?

Just wondering how restrictive the stock cats and headers are. It seems like most people on here don't care about noise, but I was just wondering the power potential of an LT1 or LS1, for that matter, while keeping it pretty quiet. Let's say you had a 383 with heads/cam etc, but you only used aftermarket shorty headers so you could keep stock cats and a mild sounding catback. How much is that going to kill your power? I'm just wondering because car companies figured out a way to make a car such as the Z06 have massive power while not waking up the dead.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

mufflers
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bro uses a bullet muffler and a flowmaster muffler with no cats its reasonably quieter than a similar car with just one muffler...
Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmylez
Just wondering how restrictive the stock cats and headers are. It seems like most people on here don't care about noise, but I was just wondering the power potential of an LT1 or LS1, for that matter, while keeping it pretty quiet. Let's say you had a 383 with heads/cam etc, but you only used aftermarket shorty headers so you could keep stock cats and a mild sounding catback. How much is that going to kill your power? I'm just wondering because car companies figured out a way to make a car such as the Z06 have massive power while not waking up the dead.
The stock manifolds are holding you back on some good HP. The stock cat is really big and heavy where let's say a Magnaflow high flow cat is about half the size and weight. It would def help breath better. Gain wise, you really wouldn't notice a big change. Nobody in their right mind would go to the extent to build a 383 and put shorty headers on it . A bolt on LT1 can put down 285@rw up to 300+ with the right mods. Also depends if it's a A4 or M6. M6 will put down more power. My full bolt on LT1 is not all that loud until I bury the pedal.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, but hi-flo cats are still pretty noisy from what I've seen. I know that Magnaflow offers "OEM style" cats that are smaller and lighter than stock, but aren't that loud.

So I guess you could have a custom X-pipe made with those cats and then run LT headers? I'm just thinking about when I finally get the car I want and yes, I want to modify it a lot, but I don't want to be obnoxious.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

Alright, but hi-flo cats are still pretty noisy from what I've seen. I know that Magnaflow offers "OEM style" cats that are smaller and lighter than stock, but aren't that loud.

So I guess you could have a custom X-pipe made with those cats and then run LT headers? I'm just thinking about when I finally get the car I want and yes, I want to modify it a lot, but I don't want to be obnoxious.
High flow cats are not noisy..where are you getting this info from?? It would be noisier by eliminating the cat if anything. Being you are in Portland you need emission headers. PM sent.

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 11-09-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting this info from my own experiences. A hi-flow cat on my car is way louder than with stock cat. I guess it varies from car to car, but still, less restriction typically means more noise...just based on airflow characteristics and such. But I understand that each car is different.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

I'm getting this info from my own experiences. A hi-flow cat on my car is way louder than with stock cat. I guess it varies from car to car, but still, less restriction typically means more noise...just based on airflow characteristics and such. But I understand that each car is different.
I don't know what to tell ya...all I can say is lets meet up and I will get sideways for you and you can be the judge weather the LT is for you or not
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

20whp from switching to longtubes is a realistic gain on an lt1. Them stock manifolds are very restrictive.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bombebomb
20whp from switching to longtubes is a realistic gain on an lt1. Them stock manifolds are very restrictive.
With a good set of long tubes you can pick up more...I picked up 26rwh with my Mac Mids
Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just wondering because car companies figured out a way to make a car such as the Z06 have massive power while not waking up the dead.
My guess would be it's a combination of everything. You have to remember EVERYTHING about our cars was designed for a 275 HP car more than 10 years ago. Back then 275 was ALOT and a stock LT1 isn't that loud.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a buddy of mine had an ms4 cam in his z28 ls1... LT's and ORY.. stock muffler...

you couldnt even tell anything was hardly done to the car.. if you put your ear right down to it you could hear a small lope.. but nothing noticeable. at a red light no one would ever know...

granted if you had a cutout you would pick up probably 20rwhp, but your loud then, so...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 AM
11 Second Club

Just run the stock muffler if you're that worried about your car being loud. .
Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
a buddy of mine had an ms4 cam in his z28 ls1... LT's and ORY.. stock muffler...

you couldnt even tell anything was hardly done to the car.. if you put your ear right down to it you could hear a small lope.. but nothing noticeable. at a red light no one would ever know...

granted if you had a cutout you would pick up probably 20rwhp, but your loud then, so...
Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
Just run the stock muffler if you're that worried about your car being loud. .
covered it!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that actually occurred to me after I made the post, lol. I was like "that's what cutouts are for, duh!" Quiet when I want it to be, loud and faster when I want it to be. I'm not super worried about noise, it's just that I don't always like to be the obnoxious one that people look at. At my college, I have one of the louder cars and people notice, haha.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that actually occurred to me after I made the post, lol. I was like "that's what cutouts are for, duh!" Quiet when I want it to be, loud and faster when I want it to be. I'm not super worried about noise, it's just that I don't always like to be the obnoxious one that people look at. At my college, I have one of the louder cars and people notice, haha.
dude wtf????

you want a loud, nice, fast car... do you know how many chicks that attracts? seriously.... think about it
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I wouldnt spend all that money on headers/cam/ ect. and put a stock muffler on it........