PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft sensor what exactly does it do etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Camshaft sensor what exactly does it do etc.

I got some pending immature? codes for cam sensor. I just swapped engines and its possibly maybe that bent a pin on the sensor.it wasn't going in to good and buddy got it he said but now wondering if he bent a pin.
My scanner don't give the actual code yet but the hptuners scan showed the pending codes. the car seems to start ok. It seems to even run ok but breaking in the new motor and not going wot with the new turbos since don't have my fuel support.

The car does die sitting there for no apparent reason but does restart and it starts pretty much instantly as well.

So what effect would a non hooked up cam sensor have and why doesn't it trip the main check engine light and leave actual full code.

I also turned off random misfire code today would that give this cam sensor pending immature warnings?

And my tach has been cutting out lately intermittently. But my scanner shows constant rpm. Does cam sensor affect tach reading.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the GM manual - The CMP sensor determines whether a cylinder is on a firing stroke or on an exhaust stroke. As the camshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads. The PCM uses this 1X signal in combination with the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal in order to determine crankshaft position and stroke.

There are 3 cam sensor codes; which one are you getting? The cam sensor has a direct impact on the signal the tachometer receives. The car will generally start hard and run when you see these codes.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

was getting all three showing pending immature though..

So will this make the car run bad or just not start good? It seems to start fine? So maybe thats why the tach is acting up? The car runs and thought not bad but hard to tell just at light throttles that am using right now.

We maybe have a bent or broken pin on the sensor. Shame have to yank intake to check it. Wish it was crank sensor that one is bit easier to get to . Not sure going to pull intake before spring..car was going to be put away in a few days.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long story short, it synchronizes the sequential fuel injection. It also is the input the PCM uses for the tach output.
If it's completely dead, it will make it a bit harder to start. Once running, it will run just fine.
You could turn the code off, and except for it being harder to start, you'd never know you were missing it. Except for the tach issue.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm so is it definteily the reason the tach is intermittent,cuts out and then cuts in ? And if it controls the sequential injection will the car run as well or be messed up for fueling and or timing /spark. Am I running on a limp home type mode right now??
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok so did some more research..it says what you said it might make car harder to start but thats about its only effect. But on the tach my scanner don't show any rpm changes even when the tach is not reading. Why is that if the sensor not being hooked up or being intermittent is affecting the tach why isn't it affecting the scanner rpm.?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Update ..I found my stalling issue number 4 wire was burnt thru. No more stalling since fixed that. But tach is still intermittent and still seeing cam sensor codes actually showing up on the scanmaster. But still rpm works on scanmaster or laptop why doesn't the rpm cut out on those just the dash. I plan on removing my intake in spring and fixing this just hope gm is around to sell me a cam sensor if I need one.