LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 won't keep running

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 won't keep running

Bought a project 95 Z with a blown headgasket. At that point the car would cold start but it would shut off as soon as you let ur foot of the gas pedal (All that before replacing the headgasket).

Replaced the gaskets today and here's the issue I'm having :

The engine will always start (Unlike before when it started only when cold), however, it'll shut off if I let my foot off the gas QUICK. If I start it and rev it few time and then VERY SLOWELY let my foot of the gas it'll stay running but it sounds like it'll shut off any second AT A VERY very low RPM between 0 and 500. It keeps running but very low RPM.

Another question : What are the steps to find out why fans don't come on? What's the first and last thing you'd check to correct the problem.

Thank you guys in advance, any comment/opinion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

anyone can help out ?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

How did the internals look when you pulled off the head ? Did you tune up also , spark plugs , wires fuel filter , air filter ? If you did all that , try checking your fuel pressure . On the fans I know that if they are still set at factory settings they wont come on until the water temp reaches about 225 degrees , way to hot for me which is why everybody reprogramms the fans to come on at 180 degrees . Maybe your water temp isn't reaching that 225 and that maybe why their not coming on . By the way , how many miles does the car have ?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your water temp will rise to no end if your fans are not coming on....the fans dont come on till 227* and that is a little high yes...alot of ppl reprogram them to 205* not 180*..also how is your icm, coil, opti? do you have spark?

how is your fuel pressure? this isnt prolly anything to do with it but its still nice to know....

also could be a maf but that would most likely throw a code so..

did you do a basic tunup?? plugs and wires? your plugs might be fowled out and getting erradic spark....right now there are multiple things it could be you just have to get in there and start eliminating things....these cars are very picky....

Last edited by jarretthise; 11-12-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on your fans though i will have to get back to you on that....let me do some remembering and ill get back to you....you prolly just have a blwn fuse though..either that or your relay is bad....i will get back to you though....hope this helps you at all
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, I'll start eliminating things. What's the best way to check spark? I did not do any tune up on the car yet, I'll check compression tomorrow as well. The engine starts but it doesn't run as it should and sounds like it'll shut off any second.