Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam break in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/Cam break in procedure?

I have a set of PRC stg 2.5 heads and the torquer 3 on the way and I was wondering if LS series engines required the same break in procedure as old school small block chevy's do? I have always been told to cycle the RPMs from 2500 to 3000 for the first 15 minutes while making sure you never let it idle. Let me here your thoughts, Thanks.

Sam
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the hydraulic roller lifters there is not the same need for by the book break-in like the old flat tappets. Give the new combo a couple heat cycles and then change the oil. Ready to roll!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Thats weird as hell man. As long as that is the standard or these engines then I guess I will follow the leader. As long as your here matt, I was wondering if you think I should mill my heads from you guys further being I have a LQ4 and my compression is lower with the combo than say a LS1 or LQ9. PM me if you would rather chat there. Any further input on the break in procedure would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sam
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Matt said, the SBC flat tappet lifters needed to conform to the cam lobe. This is crucial as the lifter is spun by the lobe, this prevents the lifter base from prematurely wearing out in one spot. The roller lifters do not need such a procedure, obviously. Most just stick the cam in, let it warm up and go.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

with the duel springs I wouldn't go over 2500rmp for the first heat cycle.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Reason being?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by samh_08
I was wondering if you think I should mill my heads from you guys further being I have a LQ4 and my compression is lower with the combo than say a LS1 or LQ9.
A bump in compression is always good for power (to a point)!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samh_08
Reason being?
Some people will tell you it is to break the springs in but they have already been hardened so I have heard that is BS. I do know you shouldn't beat on it until it is good and warm. I never take mine over 2.5k until the coolant is warm and don't WOT until I feel the oil is up to operating temp.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Some people will tell you it is to break the springs in but they have already been hardened so I have heard that is BS. I do know you shouldn't beat on it until it is good and warm. I never take mine over 2.5k until the coolant is warm and don't WOT until I feel the oil is up to operating temp.
If you talk to any of the people who make the springs, you'll generally hear them say that letting springs warm up does not do anything for their life-span either Maybe YeahDoug will jump in here on that note!

Quick Reply: Head/Cam break in procedure?