Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a crank?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 AM
drz
On The Tree

Under what circumstances exactly does a motor make more power with less displacement???
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drz
Under what circumstances exactly does a motor make more power with less displacement???
better rod ratio. Also, you can turn faster rpms with a shorter stroke. I don't think the idea is practical because the crank, rods, and pistons will have to be custom depending on how detail the build is.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1CAM
thinking of putting a 4.8l crank in a 6.0l (330cu in) with 72mm turbo
I'm thinking about this as well (no turbo for though). Could move some air with that 4" bore

And I get a weight break for running a smaller engine. . . hehe

But this is more for Autocrossing. . .and not dragracing.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
drz
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rhubar
better rod ratio. Also, you can turn faster rpms with a shorter stroke.
When has this ever been the case? Rod ratios and rpms don't make up for displacement. Period. When was the last time you saw someone DE-stroke for power?

Since I don't know what kind of racing or under what class rules the OP intends to run, I'll try not to speculate on any rules he hasn't yet mentioned. I find it hard to imagine that the engine displacement isn't subject to some form of restriction or penalty, so the OP must be considering a motor smaller than the class rules allow. The only case where a smaller motor might be faster is when it is given a weight break.

But generally speaking, if a motor is to be restricted by turbo size, it's most effective to run a motor as big as you can get away with. The lower the rpm and the lower the boost you can max out the turbo with (think restrictor), the more efficient the motor will be and the more net power it will make. Smaller motors that must run higher rpm and boost to push the same amount of air will be handicapped with higher friction, higher exhaust back-pressure, and higher thermal losses.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drz
When has this ever been the case? Rod ratios and rpms don't make up for displacement. Period. When was the last time you saw someone DE-stroke for power?
it's not a crazy idea..Sprint Cup motors run somehere around a 3.25 stroke.(tho the bore is huge)
there are hp gains from a shorter stroke due to the pistons/rings not moving up and down in the bore as much,compared to a longer stroke motor..this means that the motor has to be spun higher to make the big numbers..
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=drz;10462224]When has this ever been the case? Rod ratios and rpms don't make up for displacement. Period. When was the last time you saw someone DE-stroke for power?
QUOTE]

Well i've never seen this first hand, but if you ever get a chance to look up a engine builder by the name of Henry "Smokey" Yunick you'll find he has built some crazy horse power motors with shorter skrokes and higher rod ratios.

I understand the saying "there's no replacement for displacement", however there are other build formulas for making big hp.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drz

Since I don't know what kind of racing or under what class rules the OP intends to run, I'll try not to speculate on any rules he hasn't yet mentioned. I find it hard to imagine that the engine displacement isn't subject to some form of restriction or penalty, so the OP must be considering a motor smaller than the class rules allow. The only case where a smaller motor might be faster is when it is given a weight break.

But generally speaking, if a motor is to be restricted by turbo size, it's most effective to run a motor as big as you can get away with. The lower the rpm and the lower the boost you can max out the turbo with (think restrictor), the more efficient the motor will be and the more net power it will make. Smaller motors that must run higher rpm and boost to push the same amount of air will be handicapped with higher friction, higher exhaust back-pressure, and higher thermal losses.
This is true to an extent. lets compare a 383 (350block with a 3.75 stroke) and a 377 (400 with a 3.48 stroke). Depending on the rpm range the engine will make way different power between the 2. a 383 will walk a 377 under 5000 rpm, but when you get that 377 humming above 5000 rpm it will rape that 383 in hp and tq. depending on the racing he is running, if you are drag racing, lanching at 4000 rpm the 377 in theory will move the car down the track faster. also with that big bore, it allows the air to move by the valve into the cubustion chamber easier, even though the 377 has less cylender volume. i know the term is (there is no replacement for displacement), but why will a 400 beat a 454?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
but why will a 400 beat a 454?
Because whoever built the 454 didn't know what the **** they were doing...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

geez keep this going i wanna see the out come, ive heard about de-stroke but ????
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Because whoever built the 454 didn't know what the **** they were doing...
Lol not the answer i was gonna put, but good one.. Its not always the displacment that wins race's. Its the effiency of the used power, or average power.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If no rules are guiding your choice, you would be best served with the largest engine that is of sound mechanical design.
That being said, I have built class engines that used a shorter than stock stroke and ran very well and if the guy that made the original post wants a smaller engine I say have at it!!

Kurt
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by 66deuce
it's not a crazy idea..Sprint Cup motors run somehere around a 3.25 stroke.(tho the bore is huge)
there are hp gains from a shorter stroke due to the pistons/rings not moving up and down in the bore as much,compared to a longer stroke motor..this means that the motor has to be spun higher to make the big numbers..
The bigger bore is helping them make more power not the smaller stroke. The stroke is smaller since they want the big bore and are limited in CID hence the smaller stroke.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
drz
On The Tree

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
lets compare a 383 (350block with a 3.75 stroke) and a 377 (400 with a 3.48 stroke).
I thought it was already clear we were discussing stroke independent of bore size.

I'm sure you'll agree, increasing the stroke to 4" from 3.75 in the 383 would make more power than the original 4"x3.75" configuration (ignoring rod/cam complications). Similarly, a 4" crank swapped in the 377 would also make more power. Conversely, a 3.25" stroke crank would cost both motors power, even though you might be able to spin them to the moon (assuming the valve train is up to the task).

In any racing class where displacement is free or only lightly penalized, the front runners will not be leaving any displacement on the table. In any racing class where short-stroke motors are favored over much bigger motors, it's only because displacement is heavily penalized, usually by vehicle weight or intake restrictors.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by rhubar
Originally Posted by drz

Well i've never seen this first hand, but if you ever get a chance to look up a engine builder by the name of Henry "Smokey" Yunick you'll find he has built some crazy horse power motors with shorter skrokes and higher rod ratios.

I understand the saying "there's no replacement for displacement", however there are other build formulas for making big hp.
Smokey Yunick liked longer rods but never recommended a smaller engine over a larger one just to have a better rod ratio. We all asked him at PRI and he even got mad that people thought you could make more power with less inches but a longer rod. He just liked longer rods but even said that with today's heads that wasn't even any firm rule of his any longer.

Smoky also noted to the guy that asked him about destroking for power that they had all cheated by building larger engines than were allowed including Roush and many in NASCAR but no one ever cheated by building a really small motor !!!!!!!! (with super long rods) .........enough said.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katech already answered this for you in the Advanced Engineering forum in a post by someone else looking to build a destroked ls...check there

But, instead of de-stroking a 5.7L or 6.0L....

just buy a 5.3L......since it is just under 330ci

as for the in-depth discussion on rod ratio, etc......

We all are forgetting one small problem to overcome in using this theory to gain high rpm power........

the LS series can't spin that high without puking it's parts all over creation without easily spending well over 100K in research and fabrication to make it there.......

Last edited by Dan Stewart; 11-12-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
The bigger bore is helping them make more power not the smaller stroke. The stroke is smaller since they want the big bore and are limited in CID hence the smaller stroke.
I completely agree, I have spoken to Erik YEARS ago about pistons and how they correlate in Indy cars, quite interesting.

Quick Reply: any destroked builds out there