Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please help me

Alright, I have Mac progressive lowering springs with bfgoodrich kdw 315's. My tire's rub around curves if i'm not careful. I've seen a thing or two about "wheel spacers". How do these work and are these what I need to ensure my tires don't rub? If not, what do I have to do to make my rear more sturdy so they won't rub?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may need to do the fender roll mod. Basically its rolling that lip on the inside of the quarter panel up to keep your tire from rubbing on it. Also are you runnign an adjustable phb? If not you may look into getting one because when you lower your car it changes the lateral location of the rear end and that could cause you to rub on one side. I dont think wheel spacers will help you at all because those just push your tires out from the rear end. Anyway hope that helps
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I love about this site, so full of cool people and quick responses. I really don't want to do the roll lip mod, I don't want to do thaat to my car, what're my other options really? What is adjustable phb???
Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really you need to roll your fenders with 315's. It's just the right way to run them. The adjustabe PHB is an adjustable panhard bar. It is what centers the rear end left to right and some other things you really don't need to get into. In order to get your rear end back to center you need to adjust the length of the PHB. UMI, BMR, Spohn, J&M, and pretty much any suspension company for our cars will sell an adjustable panhard bar.

Why are you against rolling the fenders? Nothing really wrong with it.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
That's what I love about this site, so full of cool people and quick responses. I really don't want to do the roll lip mod, I don't want to do thaat to my car, what're my other options really? What is adjustable phb???
Is that sarcastic or are you serious?

Your rubbing... but where??? If your rubbing on the inner fender, rolling the outer lip won't fix a damn thing. You should be able to see where you are rubbing.

Typically everyone hammers the inner fender in for the 315's. Lots of people roll the outer fender for clearance. I have a very small wheel spacer 3/16 which still provides some of the hub for the wheel to sit on. I did both the BFH and the rolled fenders.

A dual rod phb also helps prevent any side to side axle movement. The stock one will allow the most movement between the stock rubber bushings.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Like Bryan said, we need to know where it's actually rubbing. If you don't have at least an adjustable PHB to counter you lowering, you need one. Ideally Watts Links are better because they get rid of the side to side movement a PHB has to have by it's mouting, which can cause your rubbing too. However first thing is first. Where is it rubbing?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

he said spacers which would imply he needs to push his wheel/tire away from the body/rearend. Thats the way I read it. IF he used the spacers, clearly the fender roll would be his next need.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

if its rubbing on the inside you need a phb or spacers. i would get a double adjustable rod end phb so there is less movement for the rear end to the left and right.

my car does the same thing, on sharp turns it rubs on the inside. a phb will cure this due to less roll.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, not quite twitchtwice. A PHB does nothing for body roll. Stronger ones and ones with less deflection because of rod-ends vs. bushings don't allow as much lateral movement of the body, but that's not body roll.

If it's rubbing on the inside, spacers can help. But as most know when the car sits there is generally some room between the inside of the tire and the body. Between PHB deflection, tire deflection, and the arc the PHB moves in that gap disappears (which is where the rub on the inside comes from). Links in the chain from there.

A better PHB and/or one that allows you to compensate for the shifted axle/body relationship due to lowering will help. Might be enough, might not.

Spacers can help if they are kept small. Big spacers can be dangerous as the wheels no longer ride on the hub, and the weight is supported by the studs only (bad). And if you rub on the inside, but can't move outward to fix it without a rub there, the spacers aren't a good only answer, and spacers are only used to fix improper wheel offset (as you as changing the offset by using the spacer).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=z28bryan;10465861]Is that sarcastic or are you serious?

I was serious, I have learned more than I ever would have since I found this site. Thanks for the info! I have an adjustable panhard bar, the suspension has pretty much been taken care of...SFC's, LCA's, TQ arm, adjustible PHB, Sway bar....so I guess i'll check out the phb route?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Why isn't anyone mentioning the BFH mod?

BFH = Big F*cking Hammer

Maybe you don't want to mess with this but I always thought this was the first step in wheel clearance modification.

And I've got 315/35/17 nitto 555r's all around on my car on 17x11 50mm offset wheels. There's a really good thread on fitting wheels all around on frrax, though you might not be able to access it without an account.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Why isn't anyone mentioning the BFH mod?

BFH = Big F*cking Hammer

Maybe you don't want to mess with this but I always thought this was the first step in wheel clearance modification.
Nope. You can fit 315s all the way around on a Camaro without ever resorting to the low tech bludgeoning that many here claim to be mandatory.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Nope. You can fit 315s all the way around on a Camaro without ever resorting to the low tech bludgeoning that many here claim to be mandatory.
You're right. So I shouldn't have assumed that. We really have to know what the OP has for wheels, what offsets, what tires he has. If he goes with spacers theres a good chance he can avoid BFH.

With my 50mm wheels, 3/16 inch spacers, stock bumpstops still intact, some BFH, rod/rod phb, fenders rolled, and not necessarily large 315 sized Nitto 555r's I was rubbing a little bit still through the slaloms at autox. No two cars are exactly alike though.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

BFH works well...hehe

When I put my Z06 rims on, the rears were rubbing on hard corners or hard launches. When I took my wheels off to throw on my Koni/Strano's+brake rotors and pads, I could clearly see where I was rubbing. A little BFH mod was all that was needed. Didn't screw anything up, and doesn't even look like I did anything. But, low and behold, no more tire rub!!! BFH FTMFW

Quick, simple, cheap...

Like Sam mentioned, wheel spacers can be very dangerous and you should probably avoid them if possible. Unless they are very thin...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Spacers are dangerous only if you try to run one that is too thick, one that doesn't fit properly, or you try to use them with the stock studs. Otherwise, spacers are fine. I've used 1/2 inch spacers with my old Chinese ZR1s and currently run 1/8 inch spacers with my CCWs.

NASCAR Cup teams use wheel spacers. Later 3rd gens came from GM with 1/8 inch spacers in the rear.

Lastly, Sam used spacers on his Camaro before he bought his fancy smancy Forgelines.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I forgot to mention I also use the stronger, longer than stock ARP wheel studs
Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
With my 50mm wheels, 3/16 inch spacers, stock bumpstops still intact, some BFH, rod/rod phb, fenders rolled, and not necessarily large 315 sized Nitto 555r's I was rubbing a little bit still through the slaloms at autox. No two cars are exactly alike though.
Oh my car still rubs. Hell it rubs the LCAs hard enough that after an event I sometimes have thumbnail size wads of rubber on the flange of the control arm.

It's not terrible though and it certainly isn't something you'd ever be able to duplicate on the street.... unless you're a rare one who daily drives Hoosier A6s at 10/10ths.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah the rubbing only happened with me in slaloms. It wouldn't even rub taking the banked turns at the short oval Seekonk Speedway track.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Maybe I drive faster than you.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey not to butt in but i have the same prob. I have a 99 Firehawk with 295 35 18 rims are 11in wide zo6 wheels and i am rubbing on the inner fender well on both sides in the rear. My cars lowered and has Spohn control arms and phb. should i just BFH the inner fender well?!?!?! HELP