Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help a Honda buddy pick a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help a Honda buddy pick a turbo?

I know a lot of you guys know your turbos and some also have Mitsus and Hondas. I going to let him tell you what he wants to do and see if you can help. Here's Shawn:

My horsepower goals are 800 - 850 whp.
The Block:
The motor I am using is a B16A ERL superdeck (which makes the motor a 2.0L). I am using Eagle Rods on 9.2:1 Compression ratio Weisco Pistons on an LS crankshaft.

The Head:
The B16A head has been ported and polished. The cams are Integra Type R Clocked against eachother in order to get rid of overlap. The valvetrain has been fully upgraded with supertech stainless valves, valve springs and retainers, The springs and retainers can handle up to 10,000 rpms

Fuel System
I have a walbro 255lph fuel pump installed with 1000cc injectors currently but depending on AFRs will probably have to be upgraded.

Intercooler system:
I am using a PWR Air to water intercooler (pn#02510062) this intercooler is only rated from PWR to 650hp but can flow 920 cfm.

Turbo system:
Turbocharger???
I am using a ramhorn style manifold with a synapse 50mm wastegate.

The question is what turbocharger should i use? I am not cheaping out on this part. The turbo must be ball bearing. I was looking into the Turbonetics GTK series and was really swinging towards these turbos. But I am really wanting to use a T3 hot side to spool and get boost in the earlier RPMS. None of the GTK series come with the T3 hot side in the larger HP rated turbos, they are all T4.

Give me your insight... Im open any other turbo options that may get me where i want to be

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I know a lot of you guys know your turbos and some also have Mitsus and Hondas. I going to let him tell you what he wants to do and see if you can help. Here's Shawn:

The Block:
The motor I am using is a B16A ERL superdeck (which makes the motor a 2.0L). I am using Eagle Rods on 9.2:1 Compression ratio Weisco Pistons on an LS crankshaft.

The Head:
The B16A head has been ported and polished. The cams are Integra Type R Clocked against eachother in order to get rid of overlap. The valvetrain has been fully upgraded with supertech stainless valves, valve springs and retainers, The springs and retainers can handle up to 10,000 rpms

Fuel System
I have a walbro 255lph fuel pump installed with 1000cc injectors currently but depending on AFRs will probably have to be upgraded.

Intercooler system:
I am using a PWR Air to water intercooler (pn#02510062) this intercooler is only rated from PWR to 650hp but can flow 920 cfm.

Turbo system:
Turbocharger???

The question is what turbocharger should i use? I am not cheaping out on this part. The turbo must be ball bearing. I was looking into the Turbonetics GTK series and was really swinging towards these turbos. But I am really wanting to use a T3 hot side to spool and get boost in the earlier RPMS. None of the GTK series come with the T3 hot side in the larger HP rated turbos, they are all T4.

Give me your insight... Im open any other turbo options that may get me where i want to be

Thanks in advance!!

Call us....we can do a custom piece from Tnetics in T3 and GTK.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

106mm t6 frame!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
106mm t6 frame!!!!!!!!!!

TNX122!! lol
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ok going to say this..this is ls1 forum after all. Tell him to get a f body or vette and sell the honda off.Heck even a mustang.. Even if he does get his power goal out of that engine which I extremely doubt he will never be able to put it to the ground ,axles, transmissions, clutches,not a chance they will take that type of power. I have a 650 potential hp dsm fully forged, etc etc and even that level would requre a 3000 buck transmission , serious clutch and upgraded axles. I would not even attempt to go much higher on power.....to put 800rwhp or something thru the car just not going to happen and honda drivetrains are weak even upgraded.. The truth hurts but its the truth. And not even sure his forged rods can take that power level. You are talking like going over 5 times the stock engine power.

I haven't checked but would like to see even a few examples of these 800rwhp hondas.
There are maybe a couple on the dsm boards like Sheppards famous dsm. And don't think he runs that much more than 800rwhp.

Now if he really wants that much power he can just go with a gt35r and get around 650 engine hp and then put a 300 shot of spray on top or something.. Again best of luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your going to need to go with lower compression and a bigger turbo to make that kind of power out of a B16. Also i am assuming this is not on pump gas.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Shepard is making like 1300whp on methanol last I heard and running 7s. While far from optimal for a drag setup, the 800whp honda has been done many times.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry your LS crank is going to be no good for 800 horse power. In fact i dont think its going to make it much past 400 and thats going to be pushing it. Your going to need more then a B18C5 cam also.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by whiteghost
Shepard is making like 1300whp on methanol last I heard and running 7s. While far from optimal for a drag setup, the 800whp honda has been done many times.
Ok..been done..for how much money..? I can make any car fast with enough money. But keeping it fast is another thing. I would not even hope to keep a dsm together much past 650 engine even with top parts. I guess I am just too used to seeing the boosted up hondas breaking at the local track.
Haven't seen one in the 10s even yet and been going there for years.

So it must not be easy to make one live with 800rwhp. and how the heck can you hook that up even with drag tires since the tires are the same size as my lawnmower.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
TNX122!! lol
LOL +1 on the over kill, on that setup it MAY start spooling somewhere around 12000+RPM LAG KING!, no but seriously, a 76GTS should should get the job done nicely, If that's not enough, check out Zombie and the ST-80.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've decided I'm going to build a Auto-X dump truck because "I like the challange".

Tell your freind he needs a more reasonable goal, like 400-500 hp unless he wants and all out drag car.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Looked a bit more..injectors are way small.. maybe some 1600s. pump doubtful much past 500 rwhp. And doubt eagle rods are going to take much past 500 to 600rwhp max. Seen them bending at around those power levels sometimes in dsms.
And out of curiousity what clutch can handle that power.super expensive twin disc?

Easiest way is still to combine something like gt42r with lots of spray. Of course this thing will have a pathetic street powerband. spool up maybe at 6000 but with 10k redline at least have some topend there.

Is this guy really serious about this why doesn't he just copy a honda recipe off the honda boards if there already are all these 800 plus whp hondas there?

This brings back a funny story and sorry but since its ls1 board have to share it.
I went to track with the 96z .It was near bone stock at the time ,Its a vert ,purple techniically the wifes car and came up beside a turbo,nitroused civic . The guys in the staging lane were laughing at the vert saying how they were going to run 11s or 10s and all this smack talk. I was of course just listening to all this.
Wel I have the time slips somewhere and the vert ran 14.2 at 96mph with like a 2.0 on ntitos and that civic ran like a 16.5 at 85mph on street tires with a 2.8 60ft! LOL

They came around and when the starters put them beside me again they weren't laughing anymore and they asked to be put beside a slower car! LOL
And 14.2 is pretty slow..track is 1700 feet above sea level so that hurts too.
That car never broke out of the 16s all day. Course drag tires were essential on that car.
Thats why I prefer my dsms..go to track and rip off a 1.6 60ft on street tires..talking the awd ones of course.

And to be fair we had some 11 second hondas running briefly before they broke.
But I know sooner or later one will hand me my ***..always a faster car . But have to add better a slow f body than a fast honda..

Each to his own.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

This is not one of those dreamer threads. Shawn owns a Honda performance shop with a Dynojet dyno. This is an all out drag car and is the shop car. I know zilch about Honda's but can tell you he has two buds at the local track that trap high 140's (one has gone 148) in the 1/4. He has talked to Dr. Turbo and is getting one spec'ed.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok did some digging and found one ..800whp...
Here is the recipe..not cheap but is doable it looks like..

Block:
B18b LS Block sleeved by golden eagle
82mm CP pistons
Eagle H-beam rods
Stock LS Crankshaft micropolished
ACL Race Bearings
OEM Honda Oil Pump

Head:
B16 cylinder head with 10,000 rpm port job by new kid cylinder heads
Supertech dual springs with Ti retainers
Stock GSR Camshafts
Stock Cam gears
JG Edelbrock Victor X intake Manifold
68mm professional products throttle body

Electrical:
Hondata S300 w/PWM Boost control through a GM boost solenoid
Stock Distributor with M&W Pro 10 ignition box
AEM Uego wideband

Turbo:
Borg Warner S372 W/1.10 back housing
Full Race Twin Scroll T4 top mount
Dual Tial 44mm WG
Custom 4" downpipe
Custom 3" Charge pipes
Vibrant "800 hp" intercooler
Tial 50mm BOV

Drivetrain:
Exedy Twin plate clutch
Liberty straight cut dog box
Drive Shaft Shop Stage 5.9 Axles
Liberty spool

Fuel System:
Sumped stock fuel tank
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump
Aeromotive FPR
160 pound (AKA 1600 cc injectors)
AEM Fuel Rail
Custom aeroquip lines for feed and return

500ft pounds of torque pretty pathetic but good for a four banger.
Now can maybe post the dyno graph..definitely a track car don't look very streetable course different people have different ideas about streetable..And no idea how long this thing can stand up to those power levels..Guess the newer eagle rods are pretty strong.

So guess have to concede its doable..
and go back to another one my favorite quotes..

"Turbos can make any car fast..even hondas" But they can't give a honda four banger 1000 ft pounds of torque..Not even GOD himself can do that. And that said my 2.4 litre 97 talon with basically the gt35r on it is not that fun to drive on the street.Powerband is like 4000 to 8000. Under 4000 not too great. Thinking of going down on turbo to get 3000 to 8000. That extra 1000 is nice on the street. Don't matter much on the trace track. Thats why throw that turbo on my 91 talon race car. Track only car trailer it to track.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert

The Block:
Sounds like a strong motor, ERL is very good, stock honda cranks can handle anything you can throw at them, dont listen to these people who dont know about hondas.

The Head:
I would ditch the cams and go with some Skunk2 PRO1's But if your on a budget, and it dosent look liek you are, the ITR's will work. Degree them in though, dont clock them before you know what the motor wants

Fuel System
You will need up upgrade this for sure. Full-Blown sells a dual walboro system for most hondas. It is an amazing piece. Add another Walboro, some ss braded line,also 1000cc's will not be enough. Look into 1600cc's and an injector driver

Intercooler system:
Make sure you run a aftercooler for when you ddont have ice in it.

Turbo system:
Turbocharger???
Borg Warner S366XL Would be my choice if i were you. It can make 900hp on your car. This turbo will spool as fast as the Ball Bearing counterpart, and make more power. It is also rebuildable unlike the BB turbos.

Thanks in advance!!

I replied in bold.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok did some digging and found one ..800whp...
Here is the recipe..not cheap but is doable it looks like..

Block:
B18b LS Block sleeved by golden eagle
82mm CP pistons
Eagle H-beam rods
Stock LS Crankshaft micropolished
ACL Race Bearings
OEM Honda Oil Pump

Head:
B16 cylinder head with 10,000 rpm port job by new kid cylinder heads
Supertech dual springs with Ti retainers
Stock GSR Camshafts
Stock Cam gears
JG Edelbrock Victor X intake Manifold
68mm professional products throttle body

Electrical:
Hondata S300 w/PWM Boost control through a GM boost solenoid
Stock Distributor with M&W Pro 10 ignition box
AEM Uego wideband

Turbo:
Borg Warner S372 W/1.10 back housing
Full Race Twin Scroll T4 top mount
Dual Tial 44mm WG
Custom 4" downpipe
Custom 3" Charge pipes
Vibrant "800 hp" intercooler
Tial 50mm BOV

Drivetrain:
Exedy Twin plate clutch
Liberty straight cut dog box
Drive Shaft Shop Stage 5.9 Axles
Liberty spool

Fuel System:
Sumped stock fuel tank
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump
Aeromotive FPR
160 pound (AKA 1600 cc injectors)
AEM Fuel Rail
Custom aeroquip lines for feed and return

500ft pounds of torque pretty pathetic but good for a four banger.
Now can maybe post the dyno graph..definitely a track car don't look very streetable course different people have different ideas about streetable..And no idea how long this thing can stand up to those power levels..Guess the newer eagle rods are pretty strong.

So guess have to concede its doable..
and go back to another one my favorite quotes..

"Turbos can make any car fast..even hondas" But they can't give a honda four banger 1000 ft pounds of torque..Not even GOD himself can do that. And that said my 2.4 litre 97 talon with basically the gt35r on it is not that fun to drive on the street.Powerband is like 4000 to 8000. Under 4000 not too great. Thinking of going down on turbo to get 3000 to 8000. That extra 1000 is nice on the street. Don't matter much on the trace track. Thats why throw that turbo on my 91 talon race car. Track only car trailer it to track.
Thank you for your recipe, allthough it is not going to make 800whp. sorry you cant make that kind of power on gsr cams... going to need a bigger wastegate than 44mm, do some more research I guess, quit with the long winded answers, im not into reading books about why you are right and Im wrong.

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
Sorry your LS crank is going to be no good for 800 horse power. In fact i dont think its going to make it much past 400 and thats going to be pushing it. Your going to need more then a B18C5 cam also.
Bull Sh*t Ive tuned B series setups using the STOCK LS crank that make over 500whp. Show me a shattered LS crankshaft, I have yet to see one.

Gime a break people. I dont care what you think of the setup. Or how you KNOW FOR A FACT that a motor honda cant make 800hp. Do some research, visit www.full-race.com then call them up and tell them what you think.

BTW MY99TAWS6, have you ever seen how light hondas are?? That is the reason we can run great quarter mile times with not much torque...we dont need as much of it as you do...

I asked a question and you people so far have done everything but answer it.

If you people know soooo much about turbos just answer my question, What turbo do you think I should use??
Old 11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that dr turbo told you to contact him.... The problem is that this is a GM LSX series board and most of us specialize in how to build those type of engine turbo combinations. Sorry that we can not be as much help as you want.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Launching!

800hp is pushing it in a T3 housing. A big BW or a billet compressor wheeled 35r should be able to do the trick though.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I haven't checked but would like to see even a few examples of these 800rwhp hondas.
There are maybe a couple on the dsm boards like Sheppards famous dsm. And don't think he runs that much more than 800rwhp.
Actually we're a bit closer to ~1200whp. Is that that much more than 800? The last season the car ran the only failures we had were mainly due to software/hardware interface issues. Not a single driveline part broke or did an engine come apart due to any fault of it's own.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shearer
Actually we're a bit closer to ~1200whp. Is that that much more than 800? The last season the car ran the only failures we had were mainly due to software/hardware interface issues. Not a single driveline part broke or did an engine come apart due to any fault of it's own.
Impressive..how much money into that build if someone other than a shop did it..?

What et and mph and 60fts?

I realize hondas are light. As said have a 91 talon race car that is getting stripped down and will likely go to the track possibly next season.
Its awd auto so still heavier than a stripped down honda.

Anyway will backpedal a bit then. Its great to see some huge power hondas.
Whatever floats your boat. And will be in awe when we have one up here that hits 10s. So it must not be easy or cheap to get them to that power level and keep them alive. We do have lots of them and quite a few tuning shops up here two major cities within a couple hundred miles of each other.

I am sorry its just that when we see most of the stock hondas runs running slower than my montana minivan its hard to fathom them with massive power going 8s or whatever. But then again my little talons do pretty good as well. Turbos work and work well. No argument there. AWD and turbos now that is my favorite drivetrain combo..But its also hard to beat a TT v8 or TT v10 or TTv12.Torque ,massive torque is fun to have and nice wide powerband is also nice to have for a street car. And after being in even my pretty big gt35R talon with 2.4 swap can't see a really huge turbo smaller engine car being much fun to drive around daily.

Race cars don't have to be that streetable. And usually in a rear wheel drive car much past even 500rwhp on the street is getting to be a handful and traction can be hard to come by. On my awd cars you can do a bit better.
On fwd my experience is forget up it unless you are on slicks. Had several fwd turbo dsms as well.

Anyway you can email that guy your 1200 or whatever recipe. And I posted one for him too.

Might as well copy successful builds.

Quick Reply: Help a Honda buddy pick a turbo?